DCS: WWII Assets Pack - B-17G Livery Competition

@NineLine what are the rule about showing the swastika? A lot of aircraft had these on display as aircraft kills.

And I assume historical nose art such as that supplied with the DCS B-17 is allowed.

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Helles Belle said:

@NineLine what are the rule about showing the swastika? A lot of aircraft had these on display as aircraft kills.

And I assume historical nose art such as that supplied with the DCS B-17 is allowed.

It is best to omit them, or edit them like we have on some of our liveries

thanks

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 7/3/2023 at 8:59 PM, Aqil Huseynov said:

for information I'm working on the B-17G Coast Command RAF version

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a list of the aircraft I’ve already done.

Hells Belle aka Elsie Mae
Punchy
Bottle Baby
Webbers Wagon
Satans Lady
Kwitchabitchin
Baby Lu
Miss B Haven
Lady Vivian
Heavy Date
Flak Eater

• Like 4

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Hi Guys

I  and many others found it very difficult in the past  to get any sort of descent  reflectivity for the B17 by  just editing the Specular / RoughMets alone which  never seemed to give any satisfactory results  so I experimented and found that editing  a certain value in the JSON folder is what   made a huge difference.

I am not very tech minded  but it works and will give far superior  results than the Default set up.

Click link Below

Edited by Warlord64
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Urbi said:

Hello folks ! it's progressing. I am of the opinion that the JSON can be completely omitted as with the C-47. I have created 2 images for the original, for a Gerenic of this and 2 images with a weathering.

screen_230708_163231oldtb.jpg

screen_230708_163308lteuf.jpg

screen_230708_16333227fzu.jpg

screen_230708_163358hmi0p.jpg

screen_230708_163038u3d2g.jpg

screen_230708_1631074hd3s.jpg

Ps.

A note to ED. the wheels need to be a little lower in the Maingear setting. the height value should increase by about 0.03. A second thing is that when the rotors are shut down and shut down, the crew doesn't disappear. the insemination is passed out inside the hull. looks funny but not good.

That looks really nice! Would you be willing to post it on the user files? 

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

On 7/8/2023 at 5:07 PM, Urbi said:

Hello folks ! it's progressing. I am of the opinion that the JSON can be completely omitted as with the C-47. I have created 2 images for the original, for a Gerenic of this and 2 images with a weathering.

screen_230708_163231oldtb.jpg

screen_230708_163308lteuf.jpg

screen_230708_16333227fzu.jpg

screen_230708_163358hmi0p.jpg

screen_230708_163038u3d2g.jpg

screen_230708_1631074hd3s.jpg

Ps.

A note to ED. the wheels need to be a little lower in the Maingear setting. the height value should increase by about 0.03. A second thing is that when the rotors are shut down and shut down, the crew doesn't disappear. the insemination is passed out inside the hull. looks funny but not good.

That is really fantastic! I have only one suggestion. Make the rivet line discoloration more subtile, like here:

Boeing_B-17G_Flying_Fortress_%28299P%29_

Just a friendly suggestion 👍

• Like 2

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

5 hours ago, Urbi said:

screen_230710_070711r5dcr.jpg

It looks almost exactly like a photo 😮

Very well done!

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

On 7/4/2023 at 4:21 PM, NineLine said:

I am still looking at solutions for the metallic issues. Thanks.

@NineLine So what is the decision? I'm seeing people doing Roughmets, people changing the json file and using specs and maybe people not doing anything and using the default. 

Please... what's it going to be? I'm currently working with speculars (a PITA... I much prefer roughmets) but fear that my time will be wasted and will have to do roughmets in the end.

5 hours ago, Urbi said:

if you want to create a liveries that should have the metallic effect, you also have to create your own roughmet. all logos and numbers, letters as well as texts have to bring the difference through the gloss individually, so there is no general roughmet.

From what @NineLine said, roughmets will not be working. I don't understand what you're saying. Regardless, I've figured out the speculars and they are working just fine. I'm not doing a polished aluminum aircraft... far from it  🤣

Posting this as a WIP for now. It's pretty much finished and I want to start on an Israeli B-17. I need a break from this one but still have some refinements that I want to do.

Serial number 42-38050 was a B-17G-25-DL,  code: BN U, nicknamed "Thunderbird". The plane flew 112 combat missions with the 359th Bombardment Squadron of the 303rd Bombardment Group. She reputedly was crewed by 538 different airmen, none of whom suffered an injury aboard Thunderbird. Returned to the United States after the war, she was sent to Kingman Army Airfield, Arizona, where she was scrapped.

This plane is the subject of a 25-by-75-foot (7.6 by 22.9 m) mural in the World War II Gallery of the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C., entitled "Fortresses Under Fire", completed 1975–1976. The artist, Keith Ferris, depicted Thunderbird on her 70th mission at 11:45 a.m., August 15, 1944, over Trier, Germany, on her return to Molesworth following a mission to bomb Wiesbaden, and is historically accurate in the encounter portrayed.01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

091.jpg

092.jpg

093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

• Like 10

I have two different skin folders. The first photo is Roughmets, the second is SPECS. This way I'll be ready whichever way ED finally decides to go. Honestly not a lot of difference (but I'm sure the RM would be so much better if PBR was incorporated). These are with the default json file loaded.

RM 1.jpg

SPEC 1.jpgYou may notice that I got rid of the paint blotches on the #2 lower cowl to more closely match the original photo. 

I also toned down the mod spatter and tire mud. Also got rid of some poorly done paint chipping on the lower wings.

I'm calling it done but won't actually submit to User Files until I hear what ED will be doing regarding Roughmets vs Speculars. I have plain jane markings versions of each.

RM 4.jpg

RM 3.jpg

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd
  • Like 3

Here is My entry to the Livery Competition.

B-17G 'Little Miss Mischief' of 324th, 91st BG. 1944

The Nose Art for this crate has been signed by renowned artist Tony Starcer.

I have also  included a No Codes and a Generic 324th, 91st BG skin as required  by the  Rules of the Livery Competition.

B-17G 'Little Miss Mischief' of the 324th BS , 91st BG (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Please Note the improved Metallic look in the screenshots  were achieved with a MOD  available here  

Little Miss Mischief 1.jpg

Little Miss Mischief 2.jpg

Little Miss Mischief 3.jpg

Little Miss Mischief 4.jpg

Little Miss Mischief 5.jpg

Little Miss Mischief 6.jpg

Little Miss Mischief 7.jpg

Little Miss Mischief 8.jpg

Edited by Warlord64
  • Like 6

OK, this is finished!

359th BS_303rd BG_BN-U_Thunderbird

This is a submission for the B-17G Livery Competition. It includes two skins, one a detailed 'Thunderbird' and one plain and without the distinguishing markings of 'Thunderbird" as specified in the competition. Speculars are used but I will change to roughmets if the developers decide to upgrade the B-17 to PBR. The detailed skin depicts Serial number 42-38050, a B-17G-25-DL,  code: BN U, nicknamed "Thunderbird". The plane flew 112 combat missions with the 359th Bombardment Squadron of the 303rd Bombardment Group. She reputedly was crewed by 538 different airmen, none of whom suffered an injury aboard Thunderbird. Returned to the United States after the war, she was sent to Kingman Army Airfield, Arizona, where she was scrapped. This plane is the subject of a large mural in the World War II Gallery of the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C., entitled "Fortresses Under Fire", completed 1975–1976. by Keith Ferris and depicts Thunderbird on her 70th mission to Wiesbaden.

I spent quite a bit of time working on details and weathering and want to note some of them. 1)Overlay ("Scab") patches are placed as depicted on the original photo. Normal map modified to simulate the thickness of the overlaying patches. A flush patch is on the inboard #2 engine cowling.* Paint was worn, discolored and chipped as per the original photo. 2) Mud spatters added to areas of the landing gear bays and mud stains added to tires. 3) Actual photos of the turbo and exhaust piping overlayed to better simulate those areas. 4) As per the profile by Mark Styling the rudder is shown as re-coverd but in only silver dope. Also, the de-ice boots have been removed showing bare metal (I have real life experience removing boots and the toluene solvent used to loosen them and remove the adhesive would surely dissolve any zinc chromate primer and paint thus leaving bare metal). Special thanks to Warlord64 for showing how to keep the prop domes black with engines running!

Submitted to User Files.

Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332180/

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.JPG

07.jpg

01.jpg

Israelis finished as well.

This is a submission for the B-17G Livery Competition. This includes two skins depicting S/Ns 44-83851 No. '23' and 44-83811 No. 21. Although these are beyond the dates specified in the competition, I thought that they may be useful for missions on the new Sinai map. The history and color schemes noted on the web vary quite a bit. Original photos of what I assume to be the delivery flight show them as being very heavily worn. Some accounts say that they were subsequently re-painted and I have decided to depict them freshly painted as shown on the accompanying profile picture. I did not include 'plain' versions since they both have only the small '21' and '23' individual distinguishing markings. Speculars are used but I will change to roughmets if the developers decide to upgrade the B-17 to PBR.

All accounts agree that Israeli acquisition agents managed to purchase 4 surplus U.S. Air Force B-17s. One Fortress was seized on its way in Portugal and so only 3 arrived in Czechoslovakia. On the way home to Israel, one B-17 bombed Cairo and the other two bombed Egyptian forces in Gaza and Rafiah. 1956 saw growing diplomatic tensions in the Middle East, tensions that would soon culminate in the Suez Crisis. The B-17s began flying daylight operations and the squadron supported the Israeli push towards Sharm el Sheikh, on the southern tip of the Sinai. 69 Squadron was finally disbanded on March 1, 1957 and the B-17s placed in storage and were finally scrapped in 1958. No. 69 Squadron was reactivated at Ramat David on November 1, 1969 and is active to the present operating the F-15I Thunder out of Hatzerim.

Submitted to User Files.

Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332179/

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

01.jpg

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd
  • Like 5