Many servers, few players?

Pulstar

9 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Just curious if there’s anyone who doesn’t know what a runway is….

it is the thing the models walk down isn't it ?

Zoolandervalentino_0.jpg?width=1024&auto

• Like 5

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Except that other people are using it to taxi on  💥

The same real world reasons not to take off from the taxiway apply to a game. Again I’m not really sure how crashing into each other is “fun”

As MAXsenna said, ATC issue, and you can run into similar things on the runways proper. Whether it's someone landing on your face, taking off in the opposite direction, crossing the runway or simply entering it at a different point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shadow86 said:

As MAXsenna said, ATC issue, and you can run into similar things on the runways proper. Whether it's someone landing on your face, taking off in the opposite direction, crossing the runway or simply entering it at a different point.

Yeah but we’re talking about people just blasting off down the taxiways. This type of player isn’t going to use ATC regardless of whether it’s improved or not. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

30 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Just curious if there’s anyone who doesn’t know what a runway is….

Knowing what something is and knowing how to use it aren't quite the same thing, particularly in a game where the population density and consequences are greatly reduced.  There's a reason pilots (and drivers) need licenses  🙂

Not saying you're wrong, but just because something is easy, and obvious, for one person doesn't make it easy or obvious. 

I'm not a pilot, and I keep learning things people take for granted around here...  I still remember having to do some trig to figure out what altitude I should be at what distance from the runway (and I'm still almost always high or low), and how to calculate TOD (because why not roll inverted, or just push, and go straight down?).  I kind-of understand departure and approach plates just from looking at them so much, but actually following one?  HA!

Case III?  You want me to what on which radial at who distance?  And be at some certain point on a map when?  HAHAHAhahahaha! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raisuli said:

Knowing what something is and knowing how to use it aren't quite the same thing, particularly in a game where the population density and consequences are greatly reduced.

Ok I’m sure there are people in the world who don’t even know what an airplane is but those people don’t own gaming PCs. “How” to use a runway is self explanatory. 

Honestly I don’t personally see this behavior go on much because I play on servers where it’s against the rules or where deterrents are in place like barriers on the taxiways. But it’s the need to even have these rules or barriers that makes me groan or laugh. And I still see wrecks all over the field where people are trying to take off and ignoring the barriers. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

8 hours ago, Rebel28 said:

There are times some may not want to stick to what’s real. At one time a server was up using the Nevada map. On this server the owner had placed a carrier near the Hoover dam. Was this realistic, NO. But it sure did lead to a lot of fun with friends to see who had the talent. The carrier was on a slight angle making the approach a real challenge. The takeoffs facing the dam and having to go under the bridge was also strange. This lead to having a fun time as we made many failed attempts.

Sometimes you just need to have fun. If not you are just getting old.

That sounds like a fun time, im going to recreate that mission for our pub crawl night on my server, Im going to even block the runways at Nellis so they players have to use the taxi way 🙂.

• Like 3

Yes, mistakes happen both in DCS and in real life.  Yes, you can land on a taxiway if the runways are destroyed and/or blocked and there's no other choice.

The discussion moving to trivial edge cases suggests we have consensus on what is a taxiway vs runway 👍

• Like 2

On what runway and in which direction? Using a MP server earlier, with all of us making simple mistakes but while trying to be sensible we still ended up taking off or landing from opposing ends of the runway. Some heading off to another runway altogether. Thankfully, everyone was cool about it and we were chuckling away at most of our attempts at ‘training’. Had a blast, literally. Had my first blue on blue mistake with much apologising too. All good.

I’m not sure how to tell which way I should be heading out from, unless briefed? When I landed on a taxiway before I had to try and land as best I could, a wonder I didn’t snap it everywhere. Loads of servers empty still tonight.

Edited by Slippa
Typo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Slippa said:

On what runway and in which direction? Using a MP server earlier, with all of us making simple mistakes but while trying to be sensible we still ended up taking off or landing from opposing ends of the runway. Some heading off to another runway altogether. Thankfully, everyone was cool about it and we we’re chuckling away at most of our attempts at ‘training’. Had a blast, literally. Had my first blue on blue mistake with much apologising too. All good.

I’m not sure how to tell which way I should be heading out from, unless briefed? When I landed on a taxiway before I had to try and land as best I could, a wonder I didn’t snap it everywhere. Loads of servers empty still tonight.

No one uses the in game ATC, even if it's quite basic? 

• 4 weeks later...

Last night, for the first time, I took a very extensive good  look through the server list.

There are very few servers, some that have been around a long time, that include the A4-e Skyhawk? 

If people want more players, then why exempt one of the most popular aircraft from the available aircraft list?

Also, cold war is still not very well represented. 

An Enigma type campaign server is badly needed for WWII.

I was shocked by the lack of popularity of the Channel map.  Channel map too small to draw a crowd?

45 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

An Enigma type campaign server is badly needed for WWII.

I would love that.  There are a lot of roadblocks to WWII though. 

The plane-set has a lot of gaps.

The AI asset pack has a lot of gaps.

You not only have to buy a WWII map, but you must also buy the asset pack for an additional cost.  That made sense at one point, but at this point the WWII asset should have been folded into the base game or should come with any WWII map or plane purchase .  Having to buy airplanes and WWII maps is reasonable.

I really think WWII would be a productive genre for ED.  They dominate modern and helo.  WWII is still green fields for them.

The airplanes lack electronics so should be easier to develop.

There should be plenty of documentation available with little chance of security concerns unlike modern stuff.

ED dominates modern and helo.  Surly that market reaching saturation. They DO NOT yet dominate WWII market so there are a lot of players filling that need elsewhere.  Why not lure those to your ecosystem .  A still untapped market for ED.  Provide a better WWII product and you have an army of ready-made customers.

Once in your ecosystem for WWII, who knows what else they might decide to buy on a seasonal sale?

$0.02.

Edited by [16AGR] CptTrips
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, [16AGR] CptTrips said:

I would love that.  There are a lot of roadblocks to WWII though. 

The plane-set has a lot of gaps.

The AI asset pack has a lot of gaps.

You not only have to buy a WWII map, but you must also buy the asset pack for an additional cost.  That made sense at one point, but at this point the WWII asset should have been folded into the base game or should come with any WWII map or plane purchase .  Having to buy airplanes and WWII maps is reasonable.

I really think WWII would be a productive genre for ED.  They dominate modern and helo.  WWII is still green fields for them.

The airplanes lack electronics so should be easier to develop.

There should be plenty of documentation available with little chance of security concerns unlike modern stuff.

ED dominates modern and helo.  Surly that market reaching saturation. They DO NOT yet dominate WWII market so there are a lot of players filling that need elsewhere.  Why not lure those to your ecosystem .  A still untapped market for ED.  Provide a better WWII product and you have an army of ready-made customers.

Once in your ecosystem for WWII, who knows what else they might decide to buy on a seasonal sale?

$0.02.

Well said.  The hard core DCS Flight Simulators will pay for the needed WWII upgrades. Build it, and they will come.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 4eyes said:

There are very few servers, some that have been around a long time, that include the A4-e Skyhawk? 

If people want more players, then why exempt one of the most popular aircraft from the available aircraft list?

Because you’d probably have to own this mod to join, I imagine that’s how it works. Many people do not want to mess around with mods. 

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Because you’d probably have to own this mod to join, I imagine that’s how it works. Many people do not want to mess around with mods. 

It's free and a better aircraft than some of the payware!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

It's free and a better aircraft than some of the payware!

Yeah but mods are a pain to deal with and can cause problems.

1 hour ago, 4eyes said:

I agree.  Most are. Plus, too many times they are not updated. 

But I think the A4-e has proven itself.  

But the A-4 is still a mod and subject to the same concerns. It isn’t reasonable to expect all the players who frequent a server to install mods. 

It is unreasonable to question any outfit and/or rules of a server, given that they are privatly operated by enthusiasts who can and will do as they please - and are entitled to, because they don’t charge you. Pretty simple concept actually.

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

It is unreasonable to question any outfit and/or rules of a server, given that they are privatly operated by enthusiasts who can and will do as they please - and are entitled to, because they don’t charge you. Pretty simple concept actually.

Exactly

Plus, server admins can set it up so that players do NOT have to install a mod in order to log into the server. In the case of the A-4E, a player without the mod will just see an Su-27 rather than an A-4E.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cab said:

Exactly

Plus, server admins can set it up so that players do NOT have to install a mod in order to log into the server. In the case of the A-4E, a player without the mod will just see an Su-27 rather than an A-4E.

That basically it's the worst choice that a server admin can make in my honest opinion.
It's a workaround for a current DCS mod limitation, but it will ruin everyone experience, and also open the door for potential IC tamping attempt.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

2 minutes ago, Maverick87Shaka said:

That basically it's the worst choice that a server admin can make in my honest opinion.
It's a workaround for a current DCS mod limitation, but it will ruin everyone experience, and also open the door for potential IC tamping attempt.

Not really. Enigma’s Cold War server does exactly that and is one of the most popular servers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cab said:

Not really. Enigma’s Cold War server does exactly that and is one of the most popular servers

It doesn't mean that doesn't face issue due to this decision, as well is not immune by IC tampering attempt.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!