Hard to pitch down

11 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Taking advantage of trial. Finally a WWII tail dragger that does not ground loop, provided both are turning. However in flight it is difficult to pitch nose down. It always wants to pitch up. My guess is that its pitch trim setting. 

For some reason, the Mosquito’s “neutral” nose trim at typical cruising speeds is around 2 notches “forwards” on the indicator. This is quite a lot and takes a long press of the “trim nose down” assigned button.

Make it a habit to trim elevator 2 notches forward before take-off (10 deg flaps also smoothens the takeoff). This will lift your tail by itself at around 100 mph, and after takeoff accelerating past the safe speed your trim will require only small adjustments.

• Like 3

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

The Flaps at 10 degrees. OK this does not make sense to me. As in cockpit, the flaps handle has no axis of travel. Its either all the way down or all the way up. Its does not behave like prop speed levers which move on axis. Flap is either ON or OFF. Same os for mixture, which despite being listed as AXIS does  not behave like axis at all. Click dragging it, just moves it all the way up, or all the way down.

With take off, with above full flaps, and without any nose up on my part, results in port wing stall. That is only starboard wing takes off, causing uncontrolled roll that I am unqable to counter. 

If I start in free flight in air, it flies fine.

31 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

The Flaps at 10 degrees. OK this does not make sense to me. As in cockpit, the flaps handle has no axis of travel. Its either all the way down or all the way up. Its does not behave like prop speed levers which move on axis. Flap is either ON or OFF.

Nope. It's "Move flaps up", "Neutral" and "Move flaps down". If you set the flap handle into neutral, the flaps will stop moving. This allows you to set any flap setting you desire.

31 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

With take off, with above full flaps, and without any nose up on my part, results in port wing stall. That is only starboard wing takes off, causing uncontrolled roll that I am unqable to counter. 

Make sure you have enough speed prior to lift off. If not, you will stall like you experienced. Also make sure you set a proper takeoff configuration, so not full flaps and with proper takeoff trim.

• Like 1

About the mixture levers, the plane was equipped with automatic mixture regulators, which could either maintain rich or weak. So in practical terms the levers had only fixed positions (similar to US planes, but two positions in this case) and you can forget about them for now, unless you really want to practice saving fuel during cruise.

Follow razo+r's advice about the rest. The plane isn't very difficult or unusual to liftoff really and doesn't require flaps as long as airspeed and trim are correct.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The language used to describe T/O trim is cryptic. For T/O elevator trim it is TWO NOTCHES. There are no notches to guide me. What am I looking for? The elevator trim bar on control overlay moves very slowly and has no notches. So every time someone reponds with two notches of trim it means zero to me. I have no scale or notch guide. This is why I hate some parts of DCS instruction. They are offered without explanatory context.

I think the notches you’re referring to are on the left side of the pilot. On the left cockpit wall. There’s a big black trim wheel with orange numbering on it. You may need to set your bindings for elevator trim etc. Have a look around inside, good luck.

On 7/31/2023 at 12:59 AM, razo+r said:

It's described in the manual for example.

image.png

I see one problem, I have, reminiscent of early Mirage. Maybe its gamma, or how my RTX handles DCS, or panel, but that elevator trim tab is lost in darkness. I don't see it! Even with cockpit lights on, during daytime. its lost in darkness. Or its being blocked by something, as I dont use VR. Or both.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

I see one problem, I have, reminiscent of early Mirage. Maybe its gamma, or how my RTX handles DCS, or panel, but that elevator trim tab is lost in darkness. I don't see it! Even with cockpit lights on, during daytime. its lost in darkness. Or its being blocked by something, as I dont use VR. Or both.

try increasing your Gamma to 2.0 in graphics options, yours may be set too low...

12 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Its at 2.2. But increasing it is not helping. Its just lost in gray darkness.

You may want to calibrate brightness and contrast of your monitor if you have such a problem that can't be solved by the in game gamma settings. Just google some test pictures or monitor calibration in general. However - some cockpits are unreasonable dark sometimes, I'll give you that.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 1 month later...

If you check carefully, when the stick is centered, the trim is centered and the trim tab is flush with the elevator, there is still a magic force that pulls up your elevator as the speed increases. As if the trim tab was deflected, but it isn't. That's the whole reason for the Mossie's weird pitch behavior.

So now in game you need to trim WAY forward so that the trim tab neutralizes that magic force.

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 2