Any information yet on planned version ?

Matchstick

6 minutes ago, 303_Kermit said:

No "S" please. No F-104 without M61A1 Vulcan. J/C/A/G but not S please

The S was the second most produced variant, after the G, it was the backbone of an entire air force, but we shouldn’t have it because you don’t want it if doesn’t have a gun? (Btw as already stated the FB variant of the S and S/ASA had the gun) 

Shouldn’t we hope for just more variants?

It’s the best performing 104, with a beefier engine and reworked nozzles. I’m betting my money on it being the second variant we’ll see: it’s very similar to the G, it requires little 3D modelling modifications, the cockpit it’s pretty much the same and it brings interesting capabilities. The A/C start being a little more work: different cockpit layout, different landing gear, major differences in the tail etc etc 

Edited by algherghezghez
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, algherghezghez said:

The S was the second most produced variant, after the G, it was the backbone of an entire air force, but we shouldn’t have it because you don’t want it if doesn’t have a gun? (Btw as already stated the FB variant of the S and S/ASA had the gun) 

Shouldn’t we hope for just more variants?

It’s the best performing 104, with a beefier engine and reworked nozzles. I’m betting my money on it being the second variant we’ll see: it’s very similar to the G, it requires little 3D modelling modifications, the cockpit it’s pretty much the same and it brings interesting capabilities. The A/C start being a little more work: different cockpit layout, different landing gear, major differences in the tail etc etc 

J is best performing F-104. its last pure "air superiority" variant of F-104. I know S had better engine, but it's also very heavy. And for F-104 it's actually a big issue...

Edited by 303_Kermit
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 303_Kermit said:

J is best performing F-104. its last pure "air superiority" variant of F-104

This is just not true. The S was faster, having a better engine. Also the J was an interceptor, not an air superiority fighter, and the last pure interceptor variant is not the J but the ASA/M which saw service until 2004.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

You're both wrong. The -19 engined A is the best performing variant.

Touché, I stand corrected, didn’t know some As mounted the -19 as well, while being lighter than the S. theoretically the NF is the best performing (sorry this is just my ego fighting having to concede to you lol)

Edited by algherghezghez
  • Like 3

I want the version with 4 AIM-9X, 6 AIM-260, and 12 GBU-24s all carried internally, carrier capable with VTOL, entertainment system, wet bar, hot tub,  billiard table, and of course a five piece bath, but no cell phone service.

And metallic chameleon paint.

As an alternative something that looks more or less like an F-104 and flies.  Since DCS is really all about me I think it's past time the F-16 isn't the sexiest aircraft flying anymore.  🙃

• Like 3

3 hours ago, algherghezghez said:

This is just not true. The S was faster, having a better engine. Also the J was an interceptor, not an air superiority fighter, and the last pure interceptor variant is not the J but the ASA/M which saw service until 2004.

https://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/f104_31.html
here someone says otherwise. Air superiority. Not interceptor. Author supports his statements with 10 various sources.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 303_Kermit said:

https://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/f104_31.html
here someone says otherwise. Air superiority. Not interceptor. Author supports his statements with 10 various sources.

If you go beyond the first paragraph even he says that it’s a G equipped as an all weather interceptor. It lacks the range and armament to be an air superiority fighter.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, algherghezghez said:

If you go beyond the first paragraph even he says that it’s a G equipped as an all weather interceptor. It lacks the range and armament to be an air superiority fighter.

Interceptor needs a range - like P-38 had. It was the beginning of the idea, when it intercepted a plane with Yamamoto onboard, USAAF appreciated P-38 value, and Idea of interceptor was born. Air superiority fighter may work as GAI (like MiG-15 or MiG-17). To intercept something you need a range. F-104 was created as the last B&Z fighter in aviation history, based on experience of USAF fighter pilots over Korea. They said: speed, acceleration, climb, zoom-climb, cannon. And Kelly's fighter provided all that stuff at highest level.

Edited by 303_Kermit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 303_Kermit said:

Interceptor needs a range - like P-38 had. It was the beginning of the idea, whed it intercepted a plane with Yamamoto onboard, USAAF appreciated P-38 value. Air superiority fighter may work as GAI (like MiG-15 or MiG-17). To intercept something you need a range. F-104 was created as the last B&Z fighter in aviation history, based on experience of USAF fighter pilots over Korea. They said: speed, acceleration, climb, zoom-climb, cannon. And Kelly's fighter provided all that stuff at highest level.

Range to do what? An interceptor has a pure defensive role, it takes off, shoots everything it has at the intruder and lands. An air superiority fighter needs to loiter to maintain that superiority and have missiles to repel more than one attack, otherwise he can’t control the airspace 

• Like 3

3分钟前,algherghezghez说:

Range to do what? An interceptor has a pure defensive role, it takes off, shoots everything it has at the intruder and lands. An air superiority fighter needs to loiter to maintain that superiority and have missiles to repel more than one attack, otherwise he can’t control the airspace 

Defensive role is performed better far away from your own territory. Remember it's nuclear bombers those cold war interceptors are trying to shoot down.

• Like 1

I want the version with 4 AIM-9X, 6 AIM-260, and 12 GBU-24s all carried internally, carrier capable with VTOL, entertainment system, wet bar, hot tub,  billiard table, and of course a five piece bath, but no cell phone service.
And metallic chameleon paint.
As an alternative something that looks more or less like an F-104 and flies.  Since DCS is really all about me I think it's past time the F-16 isn't the sexiest aircraft flying anymore. 
Ssshh! That one was supposed to be a secret!
Anyway, I'm sure we can all agree that the best option is to get several versions.
I have a feeling we might if Aerges can get hold of documentation, SMEs etc.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I want to have both "S" and "G". Can't they take my money twice?🫠
Gift away!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

I have a feeling we might if Aerges can get hold of documentation, SMEs etc.

That is a sure thing, and I'd wager even the people with strong opinions would take what they get.  The good news is the developers did such a good job with the Mirage 1 we can all be hopeful they'll continue that trend with the F-104.  I should really get that thing out and enjoy at least one froggy evening!

Amazing the amount of knowledge around here, though!  Holy crap, these guys have forgotten more about the bits and pieces that go on various models than I ever knew!  There's one at the air museum down the road; now I have to take what I've learned here and go check it out again!

• Like 2

That is a sure thing, and I'd wager even the people with strong opinions would take what they get.  The good news is the developers did such a good job with the Mirage 1 we can all be hopeful they'll continue that trend with the F-104.  I should really get that thing out and enjoy at least one froggy evening!
Amazing the amount of knowledge around here, though!  Holy crap, these guys have forgotten more about the bits and pieces that go on various models than I ever knew!  There's one at the air museum down the road; now I have to take what I've learned here and go check it out again!
So true!

On 8/25/2023 at 3:58 PM, Rudel_chw said:

I wasn't refering just to the F-104, but to all those users that want a souped-up Phantom, Mirage F1, or any other cold war aircraft .. seems like only the latest and greatest will do.

Why do we on the F-104 forum, care about the other forums?

On 8/26/2023 at 1:06 PM, Bremspropeller said:

You're both wrong. The -19 engined A is the best performing variant.

Exactly what i was going to say. Uprated A was used in limited number, but it had the best kinematic performance, it used the most powerfull -19 engine together with the lightest airframe.

Considering Aerges work so far C-101 with three and Mirage F.1 with four variants (including 2-seater and completely different avionics M) - i wouldn't rule out the possibility they are making 2-3 F-104 variants. Especially some were really similar. Time will tell.

Edited by bies
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bies said:

Exactly what i was going to say. Uprated A was used in limited number, but it had the best kinematic performance, it used the most powerfull -19 engine together with the lightest airframe.

Considering Aerges work so far C-101 with three and Mirage F.1 with four variants (including 2-seater and completely different avionics M) - i wouldn't rule out the possibility they are making 2-3 F-104 variants. Especially some were really similar. Time will tell.

So,
F-104G
F-104A with the -19
CF-104. With an instant sunrise.

LET'S GO

• Like 2

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

8小时前,Mike Force Team说:

Will the F-104 ED revealed have the downward firing ejection seat?

The Current development picture has a newer Martin Baker seat, so upwards.

But we don't know whether Aerges will include an earlier version or not, so possible.

Edited by Lyrode
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope we get many variants as we did in Mirage F1, but if I have to pick one out of many, I would choose multi-role version of F-104. Flying fast and high is good, but many multiplayer servers include ground targets so flying fast while shooting at ground targets is even better. I am slightly coping about AS.34 Kormoran right now.