Will there be any updates to Nedava ?

While not going into specifics, Wags confirmed in a recent "Mover and Gonky show"-episode that the NTTR map will get revisited at some point 🙂 

In the past, ED have always denied plans to revisit older maps, but I think in light of upgrades to the DCS engine and them indeed having no issues with upgrading older modules (albeit S L O W L Y), this decision only makes sense. I'm glad they decided to change their stance on this!

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Bought NTTR map in day one. Awesome for my role play training missions before deployment. I love the NTTR map despite lacking a mid-life resfresh/update.

• Like 4

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 3 weeks later...

I am one of those weirdos who just fly DCS. As in MSFS (but with weapons! LOL) It is a major source of relaxation and unwinding because as we all know, this game is stunningly beautiful. I do not really have the time investment I would need, speaking from experience, after the learning time I needed for the hog. So for me, I would love to see this game get the Las Vegas Strip updated. It is crazy to have the moon or an eyeball staring at you on approach! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess this Nevada map is not suitable driving a vehicle like a ww2 willy jeep around, which is IMO good sports on the Normandy map ... opinions?

PS, has Area 51 some flying saucers too maybe LoL.

Edited by jackd
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jackd said:

... opinions?

my personal opinion is that DCS is best to drive aircraft ... using it to drive a low-fi jeep around is, frankly, kind of boring. 

For me, the only nevada update that would really interest me, is if ED added a bit of coast to it, allowing training on carriers .. the region between Los Angeles and San Diego, but of course i realize that such a move would duplicate the size of the map, and so it is probably never gonna happen  😞

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

my personal opinion is that DCS is best to drive aircraft ... using it to drive a low-fi jeep around is, frankly, kind of boring. 

For me, the only nevada update that would really interest me, is if ED added a bit of coast to it, allowing training on carriers .. the region between Los Angeles and San Diego, but of course i realize that such a move would duplicate the size of the map, and so it is probably never gonna happen  😞

I really never thought of NTTR for carrier ops in that area but seeing as I live in Los Angeles County, whenever I travel to San Diego, more often than not there are helicopters or ground vehicles training that you can see from the 5 freeway and when you get near MCAS Miramar there has never been a time when I haven't seen fighter jets flying overhead...I would still love to see NAS Fallon included since its the premier US Navy training base on the west coast as well as NAWS China Lake, Star Wars Canyon and Edwards AFB. Crazy thing is that all are in the map just not populated and you can see the rough outlines if you fly over them.

I used to travel for work up Highway 395 which is a bit west of China Lake and Edwards and out there it was not uncommon to see F-18s dogfighting or flying very low through the Owens Valley. I remember seeing one dogfight where 2 hornets were in a slow speed rolling scissors for a few minutes...

• Like 2

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wi-fi 2 motherboard, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus ROG Strix OC GeForce RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm side mounted intake fans and 3 x 140mm top mounted exhaust fans, 1 x 140mm rear mounted exhaust fans, front mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in 3 push, 3 pull intake configuration, 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

3 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

There's as much chance of a carrier in Lake Mead as there is finding one in the Black Sea, but we're allowed to put them in the black sea.  Neither of those two options are realistic, but we ignore one and enforce the other.

I've tried to put a carrier in NTTR with no success.  Otherwise my biggest complaint is...desert.  I still cruise the strip (at mach 1.3 in an F-16, 1.18 in an F-18, and considerably lower in an F-5) now and then, and use Pahute Mesa as my favorite place to shoot BadGuys(tm), but I can do the same things elsewhere, stay away from the deserts, and have a boat to practice on.  South Atlantic is becoming a favorite (no desert at all) and I'm really looking forward to Kola (no desert at all). 

Fortunately Iraq and Afghanistan are coming.  There's no such thing as enough desert.  We need Libya and Algeria to get more desert into the game.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jackd said:

PS, has Area 51 some flying saucers too maybe LoL.

Not exactly flying saucers but check the big green hangar.

13 hours ago, Raisuli said:

There's as much chance of a carrier in Lake Mead as there is finding one in the Black Sea, but we're allowed to put them in the black sea.

You can physically sail through the Dardanelles and Bosphorus. How'd you do that with a carrier on Colorado river? You'd be stopped a few miles into Mexico with 8 dams jumping needed further along.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 minute ago, draconus said:

Not exactly flying saucers but check the big green hangar.

You can physically sail through the Dardanelles and Bosphorus. How'd you do that with a carrier on Colorado river? You'd be stopped a few miles into Mexico with 8 dams jumping needed further along.

Don't they have fish ladders?  Barbarians, I tell you! 

Of course this brings to mind Craters of the Moon National Security Area (the most bombed place on earth, even if most of them are subsidence craters).  Sedan crater, that really big one at the north end, was going to be a demonstration of the 'peaceful atom' where nuclear charges are used to dig canals and other large earth moving projects.  Mountain in your way?  Why tunnel when we can remove the mountain?

I recall the Friday Follies (kind of a long, boring, off topic story) that said the light on the D1G ball indicated a submarine was inside being refueled.  Never mind how it got there.  Nuclear powered ships are just slightly to the left of witchcraft anyway.

• Like 1

Well, i guess by reading all this i probably would use this map too rarely to bother buying it. I am more into ww2 prop-plane stuff anyway, with ww2 assets and combined arms it seems i must stick around Normandy etc as such. Thanks all for opinions and info, i'll let Nevada be for now.

28 minutes ago, jackd said:

Well, i guess by reading all this i probably would use this map too rarely to bother buying it. I am more into ww2 prop-plane stuff anyway, with ww2 assets and combined arms it seems i must stick around Normandy etc as such. Thanks all for opinions and info, i'll let Nevada be for now.

It's mainly for USAF and their Red Flag, Aggressors and other real training simulation, although Zone 5 puts Tomcats there and it was fine too :thumbup:

Edited by draconus
  • Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Has anyone else thought that this map has some strange performance issues? I may prepare a bug report (with track) as I consistently see frame time spikes at Nellis. On an empty map these aren't too much of a problem (VR) but add a few statics, even just a small amount of the low poly models and it becomes quite noticeable. For me this is particularly bad when landing on 03 and then making the turn onto taxi way at the end gets stutters, even on a plain airbase. I have seen this for a long time and put it down to the miz file I used (I basically only ever fly this map on this same miz). However after some recent co-op flying and testing on plain maps, I now think there is a problem here. 

This may also be connected to the more well know issue the F15E has with its radar causing stutters whenever you are flying up range facing toward Vegas. 

Is this map just too old now?

> Has anyone else thought this map has some strange performance issues?

Yes but not about the radar for a specific aircraft. It seems that some maps have been designed for high fidelity to reality, while for others we don't get that same level of care being taken. So for example the UAE map is much  closer  to  reality than the NTTR  but probably not quite as polished as Sinai. It seems to me  that the developers did not have access to a full  resolution map of Nevada but used at least 3  different maps to create it which is why trying  to recreate a realistic flight plan using the real headings and distances between waypoints around Las Vegas doesn't work perfectly (the distances are way too short),  but it is "close enough" that only  the nerdiest nerds (like me) are going to notice, and so they don't worry about it much. Of course when  we do get a true high fidelity map we  can  appreciate it so much more  and this makes the whole experience much better for  everyone including  the casuals, and should translate to better sales results.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...