Steam auth error 403 Discussion.

Insonia

• ED Team
34 minutes ago, Icarus31 said:

@BIGNEWY

Despite all above, I have probably encountered an issue.

Today I did as requested, and unbind my steam account from the DCS site. (Sorry ED, I was numm at that time, forgive me ;))
Now I was planning for a flight in a server, following happend.

I get rejected instantly on a slot i clicked on, in the units list. Tried others, same thing. (I checked, to be sure if all DLC where still there. They are..)
My SRS is not connecting automatically to the server any more.

Something I missed or looked over...? Bindings maby...?

Edit: +6 min... I hard exited my SRS cause it was stil searching for the Server

Edit + 28 min... tried a different server... no issues
Might be a server thing.. 

this is completely unrelated to the 403 error, open a new thread in the bugs section and include the dcs log from the session when it happens. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

you can bind your steam account to your dcs account at any time to use stand alone, there is no delay when linking the same steam account. 

you just can not use them together, and as you mentioned you never did before so no real change for you. 

Thanks for answering.

That contradicts something from this thread before:

There is a time delay if you want to rebind a steam account after it has been unbound. 

This delay was removed? If that's the case, it solves 100% the main issue I had with this change.

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, mgabriel93 said:

This delay was removed? If that's the case, it solves 100% the main issue I had with this change.

there is a 30 day time limit for adding and removing different steam accounts, the same one is instant 

• Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Wow, haha! This was a good way to get the old heart rate going, I have almost 3000hrs on Steam in DCS and I thought all my <profanity> was gone to the wind!! Easy to figure out how to unbind once the instructions were posted but good grief...

19 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

this is completely unrelated to the 403 error, open a new thread in the bugs section and include the dcs log from the session when it happens. 

thanks

Yes was my bad. I was to quickly in posting. i had it already removed later on.

Sorry

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Icarus31 said:

Yes was my bad. I was to quickly in posting. i had it already removed later on.

Sorry

no worries 

If I unbind my steam account now, can I still bind later and switch to stand alone?  Sorry if this is a dumb question.  I do plan to switch to standalone at some time, but it will take me a week to download all modules, so im not doing it yet.

5 hours ago, Dograw75 said:

If I unbind my steam account now, can I still bind later and switch to stand alone?

Yes, of course.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

There are no stupid questions, only bad explanations!
Like draconus said, YES! And if you have a single EShop/ED account and a single Steam account. You can do this as many times you want and as often as you want without penalty.
But I do understand that a lot of users get confused when some users start crying wolf and falling skies, when nothing really changed, except a minor inconvenience if you, (for some reason), want to switch back and forth. (Will take you less than 30 seconds in any case...)

I do plan to switch to standalone at some time, but it will take me a week to download all modules, so im not doing it yet.

Try it, you don't need to uninstall DCS from Steam first!
As long as you don't purge your Steam Library for DCS, the DCS (Installer) Updater should just retrieve all the data it needs from the Steam Library, just like you can have Standalone Stable and OpenBeta installed in parallel. It will not download data twice if the data already resides on your computer.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Just to clarify, I have bought all my modules through steam, linked them to standalone and play only on standalone (I want them on Steam as a back up incase the worse happens to ED).

So, if I unbind my steam account will I only be able to play modules bought direct from ED on my standalone or is it just that you cant have access to both Steam and Standalone at the same time?

Because if I have to rebuy all the modules again after unbinding then that is not acceptable

49 minutes ago, The_Chugster said:

Just to clarify, I have bought all my modules through steam, linked them to standalone and play only on standalone (I want them on Steam as a back up incase the worse happens to ED).

You could have stopped here. 😊 

51 minutes ago, The_Chugster said:

So, if I unbind my steam account will I only be able to play modules bought direct from ED on my standalone or is it just that you cant have access to both Steam and Standalone at the same time?

Then you can play the modules you bought in the EShop on Standalone, and the modules you bought on Steam in Steam. And you can rebind the account at anytime, and play them all on Standalone instantly. But then you can't play on Steam until you unbind again...

54 minutes ago, The_Chugster said:

Because if I have to rebuy all the modules again after unbinding then that is not acceptable

Why would you even think that? Are you guys making this complicated on purpose? You got it correct in your first paragraph. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Why would you even think that? Are you guys making this complicated on purpose? You got it correct in your first paragraph. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

I suppose the info given out was very sudden and not all that clear.

Plus, removing choice from the customer, or suddenly forcing them to jump through hoops to make that choice doesnt strike me as good business practice

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The_Chugster said:

I suppose the info given out was very sudden and not all that clear.

Plus, removing choice from the customer, or suddenly forcing them to jump through hoops to make that choice doesnt strike me as good business practice

Yeah, I totally agree with that! 

I have contacted support and waiting a response but I linked Steam to my old standalone account when I had like three modules on Steam. I stopped playing, but at the time my standalone was on email address I have no idea what its was or the password. I came back to DCS last year and have been playing my Steam DCS and I also bought a lot more modules on Steam. Now I have the 403 and all my modules are blocked. I have no access to that mail anymore because for the life of me I have no idea what my log in details were. Can I not unbind my account from Steam or only DCS account. Am I screwed and have to start over. as I doubt Support will find my Steam ID and just unbind it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Viper ZA said:

I have contacted support and waiting a response but I linked Steam to my old standalone account when I had like three modules on Steam. I stopped playing, but at the time my standalone was on email address I have no idea what its was or the password. I came back to DCS last year and have been playing my Steam DCS and I also bought a lot more modules on Steam. Now I have the 403 and all my modules are blocked. I have no access to that mail anymore because for the life of me I have no idea what my log in details were. Can I not unbind my account from Steam or only DCS account. Am I screwed and have to start over. as I doubt Support will find my Steam ID and just unbind it.

THAT is a bitch. Do you still have the same PC? Are Standalone still installed? Should give you the username if you start Standalone up. Maybe you still have the logs, should be able to find the login info/username there. (Is it different from what you're using in the forum now)?
If you can prove your SteamID, I see no reason why support won't be able to help you.
Crossing my fingers for you! 🤞🏻

Cheers!

I don't know if this is the "only me" scenario, but this morning I too got the 403 error when accessing DCS via Steam (FYI - this is the ONLY way I play DCS - via Steam). 

However, I never did bind my licensing to DCS standalone.  I have verified this be accessing my DCS account profile, and it is showing as unbound.

What happens now please?

• ED Team
25 minutes ago, RLSinCO said:

I don't know if this is the "only me" scenario, but this morning I too got the 403 error when accessing DCS via Steam (FYI - this is the ONLY way I play DCS - via Steam). 

However, I never did bind my licensing to DCS standalone.  I have verified this be accessing my DCS account profile, and it is showing as unbound.

What happens now please?

you should contact support directly if you get the 403 error and if steam is not bound to stand alone. 

Please contact technical support here 
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/
or email support@digitalcombatsimulator.com

The guide below will help you provide the data needed.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/support_ticket/

Thank you
Eagle Dynamic

Thanks BIGNEWY, so it turns out the problem was, apparently I had two accounts registered with DCS and all of my modules, scenery, missions, etc. were bound to an account that I don't use and forgot I even had.  Sigh....problem sorted now.

• 2 weeks later...

This is really sad decision.  I do not notice this change until today, when i wanted to run steam version to run stable version of the game , because there are some gamebreaking bugs for me in current new 2.9 beta. The ability to easily switch between stable and beta version of the game was a reason why i hold steam version on my SSD. This is now no more possible and when i want to switch to stable or beta i have to download several GB every time, what take so much time with my slow internet connection. 

9 minutes ago, bingbean said:

This is now no more possible and when i want to switch to stable or beta i have to download several GB every time, what take so much time with my slow internet connection. 

I tought it was just a matter of unbinding your Steam account from your ED account and then you can run Steam's version as always, isnt it?

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

No, is not so easy. If i understand it correct when you unbinding your Steam account , then you can't use transfered modules on stand alone, and there is only limited time you can bind the account back. So you have to make a choose if you want to use steam or standalone version.

34 minutes ago, bingbean said:

... If i understand it correct when you unbinding your Steam account , then you can't use transfered modules on stand alone,

Well, of course you can't, but you would be using those modules on Steam, isnt it?

34 minutes ago, bingbean said:

and there is only limited time you can bind the account back. 

really?  where did you read that?  ... as I see on the FAQ: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/steam/  ... there is no mention of any time limit:

Why am I receiving a 403 error when trying to use my modules in Steam?

While you use your Steam purchases in the Standalone, you will not be able to use them in Steam at the same time, you will get a 403 Error. To use them again in Steam you must unbind your account from the Standalone.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

No, is not so easy. If i understand it correct when you unbinding your Steam account , then you can't use transfered modules on stand alone, and there is only limited time you can bind the account back. So you have to make a choose if you want to use steam or standalone version.
Just install two versions of Standalone and launch them with Skatezilla's app.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk