Patch notes discussion October 2023 - DCS 2.9

BIGNEWY

1 hour ago, SignorMagnifico said:

Now that we have DLSS/DLAA, is DCS still running on DirectX11, or is it running on Vulkan?

Believe me, when Vulkan comes there will be lots of talk about it, you won't need to question whether it's arrived.  No 2.9 is not running Vulkan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was having an issue getting the DLSS/DLAA options to turn on.  I found I was running an old NVIDIA driver, I updated the driver and was able to toggle those settings.  Thought this might help someone trying to figure it out so thought I'd share.  Good Luck.

• Like 3

Using a g2 in VR I've never found a game where I've been 100% happy with DLSS and always revert back. With this update its OK but as others have said it does compromise the image. Is it worth it for a gain of 10fps over DLAA? For us to decide individually  but at least we have the option now. 

Biggest improvement for me is the shimmering. Much much better in both DLAA and DLSS quality.  

Minor issue but disappointed that searchlights are still broken, although no one from ED has even responded to the bug and I guess they have bigger issues to sort at the moment. 

As a couple of others have said the Spitfire cockpit is looking fantastic! Hope the other warbirds get the same treatment soon. 

• Like 5

The so

2 hours ago, shrimpy_dikdik said:

Using a g2 in VR I've never found a game where I've been 100% happy with DLSS and always revert back. With this update its OK but as others have said it does compromise the image. Is it worth it for a gain of 10fps over DLAA? For us to decide individually  but at least we have the option now. 

For me the best settings right now with G2:

• set Custom render scale to 150% in OpenXR Tool's settings
  • use DLSS Quality in DCS

There's some minor ghosting here and there (like at the trailing of the planes, or the moving radar beam line on MFD, etc), but the image quality is much better than MSAA with usable framerates. No more shimmering and HUGE sweet spot on the G2 with these settings.

Unfortunately the clouds still should be set to ULTRA to eliminate all the aliasing os some distant cloud layers which eats up performance.

For me the SSS causes a lot more graphical glitches with the shadows, so it's turned off right now.

• Like 2
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

10 minutes ago, St4rgun said:

The so

For me the best settings right now with G2:

• set Custom render scale to 150% in OpenXR Tool's settings
  • use DLSS Quality in DCS

There's some minor ghosting here and there (like at the trailing of the planes, or the moving radar beam line on MFD, etc), but the image quality is much better than MSAA with usable framerates. No more shimmering and HUGE sweet spot on the G2 with these settings.

Unfortunately the clouds still should be set to ULTRA to eliminate all the aliasing os some distant cloud layers which eats up performance.

For me the SSS causes a lot more graphical glitches with the shadows, so it's turned off right now.

I will try that with the openXR toolkit thanks. 

Have also noticed some odd shadow behavior with DLSS, namely flickering at certain angles underneath parked aircraft, and dancing terrain shadows similar to those dancing clouds we had about 3 years ago! In VR when you turn your head the shadows rotate. I loaded the V for Victory campaign and F2 viewed to one of the static balloons with a view over Dover and you could see very clearly the odd rotation of shadows, but with DLAA it's not there. 

• Like 1

In my case (5600X, RTX3070, 32RAM, MT, OpenBeta), all other settings equal, it seems: 
- DLSS Quality gave me about maybe 1-2 fps more than MSAA 2x
- DLAA with no upscaling gave me about 5-6 fps more but similar AA quality as MSAA 2x
Was using MSAA 2x previously but will switch to DLAA.

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

21 minutes ago, streaker said:

Hello everyone,

Dumb question, where do I download the update? Tried the update DCS feature and it does not update anything. On the website there is only 2.8 shown, is the rollout per continent?

Thank you

Are you on OpenBeta or Stable? It'll only be available on OpenBeta for now.

22 minutes ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

In my case (5600X, RTX3070, 32RAM, MT), all other settings equal, it seems: 
- DLSS Quality gave me about maybe 1-2 fps more than MSAA 2x
- DLAA with no upscaling gave me about 5-6 fps more but similar AA quality as MSAA 2x
Was using MSAA 2x previously but will switch to DLAA.

Yeah, another 3070 owner here and i've switched to DLAA too as i'm happy with the quality and frames. DLSS frame rate seemed better but I wasn't happy with how legible the cockpit text was.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bfr said:

Yeah, another 3070 owner here and i've switched to DLAA too as i'm happy with the quality and frames. DLSS frame rate seemed better but I wasn't happy with how legible the cockpit text was.

Thank you, I just built a new rig and I am certain I downloaded the stable…that explains it….

48 minutes ago, shrimpy_dikdik said:

Have also noticed some odd shadow behavior with DLSS, namely flickering at certain angles underneath parked aircraft, and dancing terrain shadows similar to those dancing clouds we had about 3 years ago! In VR when you turn your head the shadows rotate. I loaded the V for Victory campaign and F2 viewed to one of the static balloons with a view over Dover and you could see very clearly the odd rotation of shadows, but with DLAA it's not there. 

I've had it with FSR and NIS, too. I suspect it might be some sort of interaction of TAA and SSS. 

Overall, I'm happy. NIS at 0.8 and sharpening at 1 seems to do it for me. Good performance, acceptable clarity, and the biggest problem is jitter of the HUD and MFDs (also other such things, like LCD displays). I'll continue tuning this, but in about a month I'm switching to a 3090 anyway.

Should VSR in the NVIDIA video settings be on or off? 

I7 10700K (OVERCLOCKED)5.1GHZ, ASUS STRIX Z490F MOTHERBOARD, RTX VENTUS 4070 12GB, 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE (3500mhz) 2X 1TB NVMe M.2 980 PRO SSD. WIN11,THRUSTMASTER WARTHOG JOYSTICK,THROTTLE,TRACK IR.

8 minutes ago, Hiob said:

When in doubt, leave it on default.

I'm going to have a play around in a bit. Appreciate the response 

I7 10700K (OVERCLOCKED)5.1GHZ, ASUS STRIX Z490F MOTHERBOARD, RTX VENTUS 4070 12GB, 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE (3500mhz) 2X 1TB NVMe M.2 980 PRO SSD. WIN11,THRUSTMASTER WARTHOG JOYSTICK,THROTTLE,TRACK IR.

2 minutes ago, Blinde said:

How come there's only new S-3B, no tanker variant? Would that be too hard to include the basket on it.

Is it too hard to read changelog?

NEW: 3D Models. Newly created models for the B-1B, B-52H, S-3B (S-3B Tanker to follow shortly), “Centurion” C-RAM, and SA-10 (S-300PS).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bfr said:

On OpenBeta MT. DLSS Quality didn't seem to give me better frames than DLAA. With generally medium and mostly high settings, with DLAA I was able to stay above 40fps in the Apache at low level in a valley of all trees in South Atlantic. With DLSS Quality or MSAA2, all else equal, my FPS would go down into the high 30s in that same valley. I could use DLSS Balanced but the AA along the cockpit frame edges would not look as good as with DLAA. 

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

• ED Team

it is important with DLSS to use the sharpening slider also, it can help with quality. 

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I love 2.9 !
Flying warbirds over the channel map mostly.
I have a Radeon 6800 XT, so no DLSS/DLAA for me.

But I can run DCS now with TSAA and pretty much everything maxed out in 4K (native, no FSR needed) and get stable 60 fps over the English coast.
The Spitfire cockpit is great and the color grading "CineColor2" matches the scenario perfectly.

Very impressed and very happy here !

Edited by Emacs
  • Like 3

Not sure what happened but 2.9 sunk my experience.  I am freezing, stuttering, external view I look like i have milk coming off the wings.   I didnt change any settings.  2.8 was rock solid.  12th gen CPU, 64 ram and 4080.  Do i need to set something up? Latest NVIDIA drivers.

Edited by Wiz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Wiz said:

not sure what happened but 2.9 sunk my experience.  I am freezing, stuttering,

Are you sure, you are running MT? Check the version number in the low right corner. Does it say MT? Are you on Steam?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"