Ground effect - Super carrier

flybull

• ED Team

Hi

There have been no changes in this regard. 

Please include a track replay example of the issue

thank you. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
En 24/10/2023 a las 8:25, flybull dijo:

Hello,

Experienced CV operator here, returning to the F/A-18 in 2.9 after a hiatus.  Is anyone else noticing distinct ground effect over the ramp of SC causing flying out of slot and bolter?  

TIA

What I notice is the tendency of the F/A-18 to flatten out the attitude (nose low - tail up) once flying on the ramp. It seems the aircraft is unable to keep the AoA in the groove and pushes the nose down.

Edited by Tusky

• ED Team

@flybull and @Tusky
I believe what you are describing, does sound like the "burble" effect like @Sharkkusuggested.

This phenomena is caused by the carrier superstructure that produces a wind low flow velocity as well as a downwash flow angle effect, this adds to the hulldeck own induced velocity deficit. So the aircraft's atitude is to lower its nose to maintain itself on speed and you'll see an increased descent rate. 

Please confirm this is what you're experiencing. If not, please share a track with your experience.

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

Not burble. Burble causes increased sink rate at the ramp and in the wires. OP is describing a float over the wires leading to a bolter. There should be ground effect of come kind I presume but as Bignewy said nothing has been changed, so maybe your muscle memory is just polishing off the rust from that hiatus?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 12:05 PM, Tusky said:

What I notice is the tendency of the F/A-18 to flatten out the attitude (nose low - tail up) once flying on the ramp. It seems the aircraft is unable to keep the AoA in the groove and pushes the nose down.

Cant say it's any different then prior versions. A rock solid meatball in the green and orange doughnut AOA will result in you sailing over the wires unless you cut throttle at the round down, just go full throttle when your wheels touch.

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed that.  I believe it is due to my hand work before I see your experience.

When I leave the stick alone and only control my throttle, the plane seems cannot hold its att and try to pitch up and shake a little bit at last moment(WHEN I FLY ABOVE THE DECK. BEFORE THAT EVERYTHING IS FINE). 

So, I always hold the stick and stablize it before touch down. It solves the problem, but I don't konw if it's the right way to do it. 

The burble effect is most noticeable if you come in too low and too slow, you can feel it pulling you down as you cross the ramp and the LOS will usually be screaming "POWER!, POWER!" at that point..

If you come in correctly, good AOA/glideslope/FPM on the correct spot, you will hardly feel it. However, even then there seems to be "something" that will slightly throw off the AOA 1-2 seconds before touchdown and require some small adjustment.

• ED Team

To find out the origin of the effect try MiG-29. It has pronounced nose-down trim effect close to the ground. Try it on concrete first to get acquainted and then try over a CV.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• 3 weeks later...

MiG-29 has similar FBW system to the Hornet with similar requirements for landing AoA due to tailhook engagement of arresting gear at a specific glideslope? I don't see the relevance in comparing the two airframes here.

• Like 1