Looking for a list of which DCS modules as of 2.9 can do effective nighttime ops?

Tree_Beard

Some preliminary research is not making it immediately clear which modules have systems and peripherals (like NVGs) that make effective night missions possible. I can see that the F15E and Apache look to have some fairly in-depth night ops systems. What about other modules? Anything on the red side? 

If someone could let me know off the top of their head or point me to a good resource, that would be great, thanks. 

• Like 1

The A-10C F/A-18C and M-2000 all have NVGs and/or FLIR pods. The M-2000 does a unique job of implementing the NVG like how you stow them in the dash and click on them etc. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Not mentioned yet, F-16 and basically all helicopters actually. Don't remember about FC3 in general, while the Su-25T has the Mercury pod. Jf-17 I'm sure. The Harrier is called AV-8B Night Attack... Think that's all.
Combined arms.
The F-5 has a very cool night mission included, but I don't remember if it actually has NVGs as you don't use them in that mission. This goes for a lot of other modules. You can successfully use them at night even if they don't have "night sensors.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

On 11/17/2023 at 4:40 AM, Gunfreak said:

I mean NvGs weren't common in even western aircraft until the mid 90s. Most allied fighters and fighters bombers during the gulf war didn't have NvGs.

Still managed to do air to air and air to ground.

Before NVGs (some) F-16s and F-18s equipped for night attack had the capability to project FLIR video on the HUD for nighttime navigation like the F-15E can with Lantirn. The F-16/F-18 we have in DCS are 2000s era so had that capability deprecated in favor of NVGs.

Edited by Hazardpro

Before NVGs (some) F-16s and F-18s equipped for night attack had the capability to project FLIR video on the HUD for nighttime navigation like the F-15E can with Lantirn. The F-16/F-18 we have in DCS are 2000s era so had that capability deprecated in favor of NVGs.
I dont think the F18 ever had that cappibility.

F16 sure did through the lantirn, i think these they were block 30 with the wide HUD.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

I dont think the F18 ever had that cappibility.

F16 sure did through the lantirn, i think these they were block 30 with the wide HUD.

It was implemented on block 12 hornets with the AN/AAR-50 TINS and was planned for our jets also with ATFLIR but the requirement was dropped because of NVGs. Our block 20s still have the cockpit controls for it (below the UFC on right side).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, falcon_120 said:

Block 40 was the dedicated LGB/night attack variant with full LANTIRN suite and the spiffy WAR HUD. Not sure if Block 30 supported any of this already, or if it was a later upgrade.

It was implemented on block 12 hornets with the AN/AAR-50 TINS and was planned for our jets also with ATFLIR but the requirement was dropped because of NVGs. Our block 20s still have the cockpit controls for it (below the UFC on right side).
Really? never ever saw a video/promotion/picture of that cappbility in a Hornet, ill look more into it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

damn. going to read tf manual again.

If you’re looking for the NAV FLIR/HUD imagery shown above, you can stop now.

It’s a function of the AN/AAR-50 Thermal Imaging Navigation Set (TINS), which was removed from service prior to the 2005ish era Hornet being modelled in DCS.

Originally, when the ATFLIR replaced the NITEHAWK as the Hornet’s targeting pod, the NAV FLIR function was intended to be integrated as well, and in fact it is present on some cheek mounting station fairings, as you can see below. (it’s the small circle at the front of the fairing.)

image.jpeg

My understanding is that whilst present, with the advent of NVGs, the need for a dedicated NAV FLIR quickly reduced, and the wiring/avionics integration was never completed. Unfortunately for DCS users, this means no HUD/NAV FLIR for the Hornet.

The first question to ask in response to the OP is: what kind of operation do you have in mind? Generally speaking for effective A-G strikes in DCS you will need one of the more modern jets or helicopters, like an AH-64, a Ka-50 (somewhat limited), a Hornet, Viper or Warthog. If you are after A-A operations your options are more plentiful, I'd say. MiG-21 and later I'd say, all kinda work, with some WW2 birds and F-86s having limited options.