new to FCR.. how does one scan targets? how close, how high, terrain type...

hannibal

so last night i got the FCR on.

i went to some targets.

it was in instant action target practice, and enemy ground vehicles are out in open on an airfield.

i was able to see radar contacts when i got very close to them...

but i didnt pick up anything before that, im trying to understand what is the scan behavior..

it was just a quick hop in and hop out.

i have to figure out how how to change range of the radar picture, and what requirements and distance from targets that FCR are able to pick up enemy..

on a good note, i  did lock on to targets and fire Limas once i HOCAS cursor depress on a radar contact...

going to watch WAG's videos.. 

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Same here, getting inconsistent contacts if any. Tried the instant cold and dark mission (I modified the mission to have the FCR dome) at Nellis and targets are roughly 6km away, no contact on radar screen. Tried to fire up the radar with the bit test and without. Sometimes the targets appear around 4km, sometimes at 6.5km and sometimes nothing even thought I’m hovering in the wide wide open, no obstruction or anything nearby. Tried the manual tilt and auto tilt function. 

I am also experiencing zero returns on occasions where I have complete LOS of the target group.  The T90 in the group is lasing me and firing Snipers my way, but the FCR is unable to see them in a scan.  Then, sometimes it works and I get targets.

What is the maximum look-down angle I can expect from the FCR?  Can the radar see through the main rotor disc?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If you guys "Cold Start" do you turn on the FCR ? Then do you "unpin"-it ? (UTIL -> MAST -> PINNED / NORMAL).

If FCR is "ON" and "UNPIN" then :

Go to FCR page, make the FCR your SIGHT, go to Single or Continuous Scan, i'll suggest "Continuous" as the radar dont "magicly pick up everything at one" it need time to scan and classify, well from what i've experienced. I recal Wags saying the FCR computer need 30 seconds to provide targetting info (or something alike).

To consider : LOS seems to affect the Longbow radar, no seeing trought building or deep forest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hell yeah, all off them and not only once 😊.

45 minutes ago, hotrod525 said:

If you guys "Cold Start" do you turn on the FCR ? Then do you "unpin"-it ? (UTIL -> MAST -> PINNED / NORMAL).

If FCR is "ON" and "UNPIN" then :

Go to FCR page, make the FCR your SIGHT, go to Single or Continuous Scan, i'll suggest "Continuous" as the radar dont "magicly pick up everything at one" it need time to scan and classify, well from what i've experienced. I recal Wags saying the FCR computer need 30 seconds to provide targetting info (or something alike).

To consider : LOS seems to affect the Longbow radar, no seeing trought building or deep forest.

Yes, everything done accordingly 👍🏼

I am also having some difficulties with proper FCR target acquisition. I checked also manual antenna elevation settings but it seems like the FCR is kind of useless in low altitude. Kind of disappointing because I was hoping it would now be possible to scan for targets while behind cover / tree-cover. It seems to me that minimal terrain or bushes / trees in direct line of sight of the FCR are blocking those big metal chunky targets magically away.

I tested this on Syria map and will conduct some more testing on other maps soon.

In one test scenario, I could only track 2 out of 8 targets (4-5 km away, 4x BTR-80, 4x T80) in low altitude behind a tree line. While climbing to 300 ft AGL the FCR slightly improved finding 5 out of 8 targets in plain sight with no terrain masking whatsoever. I find this very strange. If you have to be in 2-4km range like in Wags videos, the FCR seems kind of pointless because with that range you will get already shot by MBT or IFV.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

• ED Team
26 minutes ago, Tepnox said:

I am also having some difficulties with proper FCR target acquisition. I checked also manual antenna elevation settings but it seems like the FCR is kind of useless in low altitude. Kind of disappointing because I was hoping it would now be possible to scan for targets while behind cover / tree-cover. It seems to me that minimal terrain or bushes / trees in direct line of sight of the FCR are blocking those big metal chunky targets magically away.

I tested this on Syria map and will conduct some more testing on other maps soon.

In one test scenario, I could only track 2 out of 8 targets (4-5 km away, 4x BTR-80, 4x T80) in low altitude behind a tree line. While climbing to 300 ft AGL the FCR slightly improved finding 5 out of 8 targets in plain sight with no terrain masking whatsoever. I find this very strange. If you have to be in 2-4km range like in Wags videos, the FCR seems kind of pointless because with that range you will get already shot by MBT or IFV.

Make sure you supply a track, it si going to be the fastest way to determine if there is an issue. Thanks. 

• Like 3

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

after having played around with the FCR with no knowledge last night, and running into new user issues, i've gone back to WAGS videos (sometimes i dont know what to look for until i am in a situation that requires an answer)

key take aways that were important was the following

1) FCR has a max range of 8 Kilometers (not 8 miles) - 8 km effective on moving, and 6km on stationary

2) Only GTM is the FCR mode currently working

3) Sight Select on FCR then FCR mode to GTM

I DID KNOW THIS!

now it be nice to know effective scan elevation... and use of the manual elevation, or simply aim it at the ground since thats there the targets are?

and what causes a LOS INVALID warning..

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Isn't GTM on by default after sight selecting FCR, at least for now?

I don't suppose there is a 'EXP' option in the FCR to have some artificial spacing betw the scanned targets, like they have in the modern jets? 

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

12 minutes ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

I don't suppose there is a 'EXP' option in the FCR to have some artificial spacing betw the scanned targets, like they have in the modern jets?

The easiest way right now is to use the TSD's pan and scale feature to cross reference what you're looking at.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

Isn't GTM on by default after sight selecting FCR, at least for now?

ZOOM function will do that once it's implemented