12th February 2024 Login problems

RWC

• ED Team

threads merged. 

team are working to restore the backup database.

thank you 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

11 minutes ago, WildBillKelsoe said:

dont they know its bad for sales that this offline hurts their sales? 

Won't even be a blip unless downtime becomes significant.  This is the second time in recent memory, though, and the 'offline mode' failed then, too.  You only get to 'investigate' so many times, and how many hours does a server need to be down before someone gets an alert?  Not exactly five nines.

It does set my teeth on edge, though, because I'm about to start a SOC audit (yeah...ugh) and once again we have 100% uptime because my department rocks.  EDs IT team might need a review...  🙃

• Like 1

Might be time to migrate off that mission critical MySQL db that runs on the old machine under Jeff's desk in the corner...

I know it comes down to money, but not having redundant and reliable data infrastructure that's corruption resistant in this day and age is a bit shoddy.

• Like 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Schlingel mit Kringel:

That's the sour fruits of software piracy sadly. I do not like it either, but ED also got to protect their work. And it is all laid out in the EULA/TOS no one reads 😉 It was like that in the past too btw: even in the 80s you ever got a license to use the software that was on the disk you bought. You never ever bought the software itself, it never was your "property". Not even in the 80s. Theoretically a software developer could have called you and asked you to destroy the disc as he revoked the license for whatever reason.

In the DCS past, there were keys for the modules you could use three times (had to go online once for activations) and had to uninstall the module to get a "use" back. This gave users issues that had a drive crash or Windows break as they could not get their one "use" back and at some point ran out of them. The current method works way better imho and server issues do not pop up every day. It is just what it is and there is little way around sadly.

Maybe though one could look into replacing the "three day from last auth" method for a "three application starts since last auth" method. So people could start up and use DCS even when they last authed a month ago and were offline since then - but only for three times (or five or whatever ED sees fit) until they re-auth by going online once.

I should bring this up in the industry I work in. To make sure nobody is re-selling our products we could go the license approach... Sounds like a brilliant business idea for anything from toasters, fridge, heating to cars, toilets etc.

"To flush please ensure your loo has Internet connection" of course this is necessary for your own benefit, as it's required to optimize water usage in the flushing process... 👿

vor 1 Minute schrieb shagrat:

Theoretically a software developer could have called you and asked you to destroy the disc as he revoked the license for whatever reason.

No, he had to have a very good reason, that could stand a trial.

If you did not violate the terms of use, he wouldn't really have a leg to stand on and may even have to compensate your business for damages, caused by his actions...

• Like 3

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

@BIGNEWY

First of all, thank you for keeping us / me informed.

Can you please explain me how this works? I do not really understand this. What have i to do?

"it works if you had saved auth before the server went down, but not if you did not. I have highlighted it to the team again."

Thank you

Edited by LcSummers

• ED Team

Website is back up and we are monitoring performance. 

thank you 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Website is back up and we are monitoring performance. 

thank you 

Great, thanks... but my two modules bought yesterday are still disabled... when can I expect the recent purchases to work again?

Edited by virgo47
  • Like 1

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

• ED Team
10 minutes ago, LcSummers said:

Can you please explain me how this works? I do not really understand this.

On stand alone DCS you would usually have 3 days off line auth, So say like you logged in on Monday and then the server went down you would get 3 days off line, 
We also have a dedicated offline mode for people who work away from a internet connection. You need to enter off line mode while online, then you can remain off line for as long as you wish. 

the 3 day auth needs some tweaking and a report is open for it. 

thank you 

2 minutes ago, virgo47 said:

Great, thanks... but my two modules bought yesterday are still disabled... when can I expect the recent purchases to work again?

If you are experiencing issues please contact support directly here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/ they will check the account 

thank you 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, LcSummers said:

Can you please explain me how this works? I do not really understand this. What have i to do?

"it works if you had saved auth before the server went down, but not if you did not. I have highlighted it to the team again."

This phrasing puzzles me a bit as well, but I belive that "you" is not about YOU, it's more like "if auth HAS BEEN saved". I don't think there is something user can do about it.

Edited by virgo47
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

2 hours ago, Schlingel mit Kringel said:

Theoretically a software developer could have called you and asked you to destroy the disc as he revoked the license for whatever reason.

In theory, maybe. I doubt there was ever a case of it happening.

Personally, if Mr Sensible Soccer himself tapped my door and asked for his software back I’d have told him to jog on. Or to come in and have a match more likely. Or have a game of Cannon Fodder? To the point though, I’d slide a disc in the Amiga before we had internet connections and there wasn’t anything any software dev could do about what went on. My aircraft, spaceships or football teams would all be available. Come to think of it, I could load them up today and still find Jethro in goal or fire hellfires from my heli in Desert Storm. 

It’s completely different now, all of it. Better in a lot of ways, worse in others. Everyone has to protect their bits and bobs, of course they do.  It’s just a PITA having bought and paid for things that can be effectively disabled or altered without me having anything to do with it. I don’t blame ED necessarily, things ‘happen’ with the computer world we’re in.

It’s probably all fixed by now? I haven’t checked.

• Like 1

• ED Team

logins and servers are back online, some purchases from yesterday may not show for a day or two, but if you have problems please contact support directly they are ready to assist. 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

thank you 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, Slippa said:

All good here again.

thank you. 🙂 

:pilotfly:

great to hear, enjoy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, buceador said:
Amazed that this blip caused so much ruckus!  Your login is not linked to your cardiac pacemaker it's just entertainment!
(Many thanks to the ED team for a speedy fix)

How would you know? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Edited by MAXsenna
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, buceador said:

Amazed that this blip caused so much ruckus!  Your login is not linked to your cardiac pacemaker it's just entertainment!

(Many thanks to the ED team for a speedy fix)

Agreed. My attitude was to just get on with something else instead (like getting some exercise). So long as outages are not frequent occurrences (which they are not). And the communication was good while the problem was fixed so customers with paid software licences were aware that the problem was being addressed ASAP. Totally cool with this.

• Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]