DCS: F-4E Phantom II - Episode I - Introduction

IronMike

Dear all,

we would like to present you the first out of a series of videos running up to release of the Phantom, which will increasingly go more and more into the various details of the module.

Enjoy!

• Like 37
  • Thanks 5

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

It looks incredible, jaw dropping in fact. I thought you guys topped it with the F-14 - which is my favourite flight sim module ever and now I'm going to have to fork out to buy this as well.  It looks amazing graphically, Jester 2.0 is sounding great and I'm loving all the attention to detail - which has always been a Heatblur thing.  The only problem is where I'm going to find time to play all these modules lol.

Edit: I will add, I love damage modelling and having to deal with emergencies and system failures on top of having to execute the mission so more system modelling and finesse is a very welcome feature.  Also the crew chief sounds great, it's the level of interaction within the Heatblur modules which make them more engaging, it's more of an experience overall.

Edited by Grundar
  • Like 5

A new level of simulation that will force developers to evolve their modules to compete with the F-4E. Truth be told, the F-4E will take away many sales from aircraft already launched. That's why I say that they will have to work hard to improve their modules.

• Like 1

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

As much as I love the idea of complex random failures, I can't help but think this is going to result in a huge upsurge in 'bug' reporting.

Looks amazing though, can't wait to fly it.

• Like 6

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

It's interesting. I wonder if the workload of running 1000's of separate 'mini-sims' as each component is updated is going to be hard on the CPU. Perhaps there will be an update frequency setting for those with lower level hardware, similar to the one for MFDs

• Like 1

- Michael

Intel Core i7 13700K | RTX 4070 | ASUS TUF Z690 | Pimax Crystal | Virpil/Warthog HOTAS

It depends heavily on the depth of the simulation.

If you have two virtual marbles and the first hits the second at speed x transferring the kinetic energy completely to the second that's also a simulation but a really shallow one.

On the other hand you could model all the properties of the marbles and take all of them into account (if necessary or not) getting some possibly non deterministic function for the resulting speed of the second marble. This is also a simulation but will have significantly more computational complexity.

The key is deciding which properties are really necessary for a good (enough) simulation without turning your PC into an oven. I trust HB will be able to balance this accordingly.

Just saw it answered here

Edited by JayTSX
Found a link to an answer from the dev team
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MichaelJWP15 said:

It's interesting. I wonder if the workload of running 1000's of separate 'mini-sims' as each component is updated is going to be hard on the CPU. Perhaps there will be an update frequency setting for those with lower level hardware, similar to the one for MFDs

There will be a performance balancer special options available: https://f4.manuals.heatblur.se/dcs/special_options.html

• Like 2

Other thought is, if this is one of perhaps 10 short videos leading up to release, and the next one comes in say 3 days, can we assume are 30 days away from release?

Or perhaps I am overthinking this 🙂 

- Michael

Intel Core i7 13700K | RTX 4070 | ASUS TUF Z690 | Pimax Crystal | Virpil/Warthog HOTAS

4 hours ago, MichaelJWP15 said:

Other thought is, if this is one of perhaps 10 short videos leading up to release, and the next one comes in say 3 days, can we assume are 30 days away from release?

Or perhaps I am overthinking this 🙂 

1 video a month...

• Like 6

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

2 hours ago, Jacknemo said:

Reading between the lines, I think this is telling us that we are still a couple of months away from release.  Let's hope we see it by May or June.

The official stated release time is the current season (winter 2023/24); unless they push it back officially, that's the timetable we were told.

• Like 1

Blah blah blah blah....Thanks for getting the hens cackling and prompting endless speculation, complaint, and impatient posts that we're all going to have to put up with for months. Just release it when it's ready and stop blowing smoke where the sun won't shine already.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1