Intermittent consistent stutter

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. I get periodical stutter exactly every 3 seconds on an otherwise flat constant fps. GPU usage at 65%. No RAM/VRAM/Page file problems.

It also happens when I pause the game via ESC. 

The in-game graph looks like this:

IMG_20240716_203956.jpg

On 6/4/2024 at 6:58 PM, darkman222 said:

You have a pretty similar PC as me. Try the following. Download process lasso. And disable hyperthreading as shown in this image:

image.png

Restart DCS and see if DCS CPU affinity gets these CPUs tagged like that:

image.png

For unkown reasons you can not achieve this by disabling the efficiency cores and hyperthreading in BIOS. Also starting DCS with the "affinity" argument does not work.

Let me know if that helps. If you want to know more about what I found and tested already about the micro stutters look in my thread about it here.

Like I said. If you tried it ( process lasso is free) please let me know.

I didn’t download process lasso but I did check to see if Windows11 was parking my cores on my I9 13900k and it was.  I followed the great video posted elsewhere in the forum here and like magic my stutter all went away.  I’ve been flying for 2 days straight on all of my maps including Afghanistan with ZERO stutter or frame drops showing on my DCS fps monitor.  The only time a frame drop happens is entering in or out of the F10 map screen.  I’ve slowly upped my max fps with vsync enabled from 60 fps to 90 fps to 100 fps and the 2 lines stay completely flat.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 3:45 PM, Nightstalker said:

I don't play in VR but it seems from the last or maybe last two patches my buttery smooth gameplay has gone to constant micro-stutters.  I had a hamstring injury and didn't sit at the computer for the last few months but now that I've returned and purchased the F4e, I'm now noticing this weird stutter when I look to the left or right out of the canopy.  It doesn't just happen in the F4 and it happens on other maps like the Sinai.  It's very subtle but you see it happen every 3-5 seconds.  I have very good frame rate but the spikes keep happening which causes the stutter.  As I said, I was offline for a while but it happened over the last couple of updates.  I've tried everything to get rid of it.  I've never had micro stutter at all since multi-thread was implemented.  I've already excluded DCS from my antivirus along with my TrackIR.  I've tried DLSS, MSAA, TAA, TLAA.  I've cleaned out all of the shaders numerous times and even did a DCS repair.  Nothing is changing the stutter.

I9 13900k, 32g DDR5, RTX 4080.  

This, I have been away for a few months and came back to notice this annoying jitter stutter when panning around the cockpit randomly of my viper. Was never an issue before. Updated bios, reinstalled windows, fresh reset of everything, trip to the witch Dr, nothing has helped. Happens with track ir, locked to 60fps and should be butter especially with VRR. Not anymore. 13900k, 4090, 64gb ddr5 ram to name a few specs.

8 hours ago, Carbon715 said:

I don't play in VR but it seems from the last or maybe last two patches my buttery smooth gameplay has gone to constant micro-stutters

Yeah stutters are back. I had good results using process lasso to disable E Cores and Hyperthreading for DCS but after the latest updates its just micro sutters again. Also not related to be close to other aircraft that can trigger LOD switching. Its something new now.
I give up because I dont have the nerves to investigate again in it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, darkman222 said:

Yeah stutters are back. I had good results using process lasso to disable E Cores and Hyperthreading for DCS but after the latest updates its just micro sutters again. Also not related to be close to other aircraft that can trigger LOD switching. Its something new now.
I give up because I dont have the nerves to investigate again in it.

Same, at a loss. It's an ever so slight stutter panning the camera...enough to be annoying.

In my case I think stutters are caused by the number of units. It seems in previous patches (I don't really know exactly which one, but definitively after 2.9) the game handled with good performance a way higher number of units on the map. The very same Syria sandbox mission I've been playing since forever used to run smothly (~1050 units and statis with custom scripting), and now is unplayable unless I remove most units (removing all scripts has no effect)

What is more worrysome for me is that I was playing the Operation Cerberus North campaign with good performance (I was at mission 16 part2) but the very same mission is now completely unplayable 😞

(VR with G2, i9700, 64GB@3200, rtx3070 at low graphics)

Edited by Darcaem
  • Like 1

Although I said I would not investigate. Seems like the stutters getting worse each time you visit the menu when connected to a server. Might be placebo, but it seems to help if I respawn with the keybind ( its per jet and called: Get new plane - respawn) instead of using the menu to respawn.

EDIT: Forget it. Its a placebo. I spawned into a stuttery mess on the server right from the beginning.

Also reverted to the previous Geforce drivers did not help.

Unplugging the mouse as some people say it causes stutter did not help either.

To sum it up: I really give up now.

Edited by darkman222
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2024 at 6:39 PM, Darcaem said:

In my case I think stutters are caused by the number of units. It seems in previous patches (I don't really know exactly which one, but definitively after 2.9) the game handled with good performance a way higher number of units on the map. The very same Syria sandbox mission I've been playing since forever used to run smothly (~1050 units and statis with custom scripting), and now is unplayable unless I remove most units (removing all scripts has no effect)

What is more worrysome for me is that I was playing the Operation Cerberus North campaign with good performance (I was at mission 16 part2) but the very same mission is now completely unplayable 😞

(VR with G2, i9700, 64GB@3200, rtx3070 at low graphics)

Exactly. I spawn in a mission with many (not SO many) units, stutters. If I run the same mission but delete all AI, it's smooth, just like when it's paused. An update or 2 ago DCS lost the ability to handle large number of AI (i.e. more than 15).

Me to. I can count to seven between each hiccup, flying in a straight line.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

It seems some scripts are broken and/or the last updates broke them. 

It's the OH6 side gunner script+hook for me. Some people have reported the same about Tacview.

After I deleted the scripts and hooks from saved Games/dcs.../scripts I got rid of the periodical stutter every 3 seconds.

• Thanks 1

in the last update ED moved AI calculations to a separate thread and it screwed it up on my system (5800x3d+4090 at 39ppd) as well, stuttering galore. 😞  So I'm building a new system (7950x3d+4090), hoping this much beef would resolve it, but haven't tested it yet...

forgot to mention, a lot of stutters come on when getting close to the AI units (ground or air). Flying on a empty map is usually pretty smooth.

I feel the AI code needs optimization for a dedicated cpu thread, I wonder if ED did any, or simply 'off-loaded' it hoping for the best..

Edited by peachmonkey

4 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

in the last update ED moved AI calculations to a separate thread and it screwed it up on my system (5800x3d+4090 at 39ppd) as well, stuttering galore. 😞  So I'm building a new system (7950x3d+4090), hoping this much beef would resolve it, but haven't tested it yet...

forgot to mention, a lot of stutters come on when getting close to the AI units (ground or air). Flying on a empty map is usually pretty smooth.

I feel the AI code needs optimization for a dedicated cpu thread, I wonder if ED did any, or simply 'off-loaded' it hoping for the best..

I have that system, and that much beef doesn’t resolve it. Badly in need of “optimization.”