Exploring Heatblur's New F-4E Phantom II Simulation Platform: A Technical Report

18 minutes ago, Super Grover said:

It's "smart" 🙂 , so it should only happen when a state change needs to be synchronized.

So the wave function of each component propagates through the network in a deterministic way and eventually an interaction happens and the wave function collapse. Hmmmmm, smart indeed. 🤔

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, average_pilot said:

So the wave function of each component propagates through the network in a deterministic way and eventually an interaction happens and the wave function collapse. Hmmmmm, smart indeed. 🤔

It's better than that. We have @Cat107. We ship him in a box, and when we open the box on the other end, we know cat's state. Or something similar.

Edited by Super Grover
  • Like 3

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I'll take a wild guess here, but bet my money they use robotic testing on daily basis, as the complexity of interactions probably prohibits manual testing. 

Fantastic! I could barely follow, but count myself lucky to be the recipient of such dedication and knowledge. Such a gorgeous model. Well done, and to the team also.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Amazing ingenuity. ‘Well done’ doesn’t really do it credit.

I’ve held off for now but you’ll have my money soon enough, I can feel it in my waters 🤪. It does look pretty good, amazing work.

• Like 1

Very impressive read. Thank you for that. The F-4E already is fantastic, and I am looking forward to multi-thread and further improvements being implemented.
It's is generous of you to share your advancement through SDK, and very good news for the simulator community.

Bravo!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You've done an excellent job, no doubt.

Unfortunately for me, despite having been eagerly awaiting this release, it has just made me realise what I had been fearing for some time now - that I'm just not up to flying these new modules in combat any more. I don't even know if I'll be flying it at all, yet. I supposed age gets to us all - some earlier than others and dependent on other conditions. I started realising when I was reading the pre-release manual.

In all honesty, I've been struggling for a long time and often feel disconnected even in aircraft I've flown in the sim for over 10 years, with a decent guide on my kneeboard. Start-ups usually go fairly easily - but the deeper the simulation of other systems, the more I start to struggle. This is why I'm still only doing basic stuff in the F-16 and -18 and have totally given up on the Harrier and probably the Mirage 2k as well. That's another reason I was looking forward to FC4, but as it just adds modules I already own, it's a bit pointless for me.

Still, you never know - if I get my head around start-up and navigation (not really looked properly at either just yet, in-sim) I could still do plenty of sight seeing in it, and I do like my navigation exercises.

btw just to be clear I did fly these missions in days gone by - especially in the A-10C and Ka-50, I do know what they are like, it's just not happening any more.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin
  • Like 4

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless & Valve Index; Point Control v2

2 hours ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

Unfortunately for me, despite having been eagerly awaiting this release, it has just made me realise what I had been fearing for some time now - that I'm just not up to flying these new modules in combat any more.

I know how you feel.  I've never been terribly proficient in combat in DCS and the F-4 takes more skill than I currently have to fight with.  Fingers crossed Reflected's Topgun campaign can teach some of the basics of BFM a little better than books and YouTube.

Anyhow, super exciting to hear about the modularization and the SDK.  Obviously the Viggen and Tomcat will be even more mind blowing once Anvil gets ported over but hopefully it can raise the bar for DCS as a whole by having more of an open forum for development.  Why build a whole second crewman NPC yourself when you could just collaborate on Jester to suit your needs?

• Like 2

So we can expect a nice boost in perfomance when the Phantom runs fully on MT.

Thats great

• Like 1

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

3 hours ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

You've done an excellent job, no doubt.

Unfortunately for me, despite having been eagerly awaiting this release, it has just made me realise what I had been fearing for some time now - that I'm just not up to flying these new modules in combat any more. I don't even know if I'll be flying it at all, yet. I supposed age gets to us all - some earlier than others and dependent on other conditions. I started realising when I was reading the pre-release manual.

I’m 72 and have been doing combat flight sims starting when I would do them with one kid on each knee. Those were fun times. I fully understand where you are now. The last two DCS sims I felt enough mastery to engage in combat were the A-10 and the F-18. I have put a lot of time into the AH-64D and am decent with it in semi-controlled situations. These days I am satisfied with learning start up and take off, navigation, landing, and the basic combat systems. I then write my own missions where I can anticipate what I am going to encounter and prepare for it. I add complications as I get better and only then try some of the campaigns. So far I have a terrible time with situational awareness in the F-4E, though I love the sim as it was the first fighter I fell in love with as a kid and Heatblur did an outstanding job. I still love simming, but like many things in life, as I have gotten older I ramp down my expectations. But I still have fun. 

• Like 7

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

Well I didn’t hold out for long 😄. I grabbed it last night and started binding buttons. Went through the cold start and rolled it out for a trial run.

Feeling cocky I lined up and tried my luck. About halfway down the runway I might’ve over-compensated with the rudder and span it sideways for about a 1/4 of a mile before rolling backwards, still going at a fair lick. Poor Jester almost had a nervous breakdown but he’ll get used to me in time 🙂.

Second time around I pulled it into the air and blasted away merrily, familiarising myself with the cockpit a bit but really just throwing it around. I don’t know what speed I was doing but I tried to frighten Jester out of his seat with a bit of inverted squirrel spotting over the forests. Lots of chatter from the back with pleas for me to behave myself then pats on the back for getting back on track, wherever that was meant to be? Things ended abruptly and quite toasty with the possibility of a little scorch mark here or there. OK, I torched it and I’m completely at fault. More again later 🙂.

I have to say, initial impressions are that it’s bleedin gorgeous. I had no trouble going through the early bits with Jester, everything looks and sounds great so far and I’m chuffed to have it. Well done everyone at Heatblur, thank you, she’s Mustard. Looking forward to more of it.

Though I’m not as old as some, nor as young as others, my concentration and memory levels are a bit frayed too and I can get in all kinds of trouble and regularly do. Better to try to exercise the muscle up top with these things and it’ll be a blast along the way. I’m only pleasure flying for now, trying to frighten Jester out of his seat a little but getting there.

I’m waiting to see more RAF liveries for it as I know of someone that flew them operationally with the RAF for a bit. i could only find a ‘fictional RAF’ skin so far for it, I’m sure there’ll be plenty soon enough. Glad I’ve got it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DucS2r said:

I then write my own missions where I can anticipate what I am going to encounter and prepare for it.

Yes - this is a very good way to deal with it and what I always end up doing, despite the amount of excellent missions like TTI and so on. Hopefully will be possible for me to do it in the F-4E, too, at some stage, I've not totally given up. Yet. 🙂

• Like 1

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless & Valve Index; Point Control v2

1 hour ago, Slippa said:

my concentration and memory levels are a bit frayed too

You're not alone there, but at least we can learn at our own pace eh?
For that reason I don't do large complicated multiplayer missions anymore with lots of people: sensory overload is real but DCS still offers plenty to keep me busy and entertained 😉 

And the more I fly the F-4 the more impressed I am, and after getting my behind handed to me multiple times in a row trying to dogfight the thing, the first victory against a MiG-29 felt soo good 😄 

• Like 3
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS graphics settings

With this anvil system will we ever see persistent aircraft?

Like instead of just picking a livery in rearm window could we choose an airframe that we flew in another mission with say 3 kills painted on the side? Or an airframe with a better performing radar ect.

Of course the option to get a "like new" with livery of choice would always be present.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hermes7226 said:

And for what reason, when loading the plane, there is no loading picture with the image of the Phantom? 

There is, if you select the Phantom as DCS Theme in your settings.

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS graphics settings

Posted (edited)

So why exactly does the components sim run server side and lag the game whenever an F-4 is hit by a missile? Who needs this level of detail in DCS, especially if you don't own the F-4?

Edited by Viper33

I dunno if someone notices before me, the gun details are amazing

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.