Maverick ground stabilization....like a broken pencil?

Lixma 06

At first glance the ground stabilization feature seems useful but i'm having some doubts.

So, I slew the seeker to the target area and ground stabilize. But the moment I attempt to manoeuvre the seeker with any kind of precision over a target it drops out of GS and we're back to square one trying to 'chase' what is essentially a moving target. Why can't it stay ground-stabilized as I slew the seeker onto a target?

Am I just doing it wrong or is a strongly worded letter to Raytheon in order?

I don't even try and slew the mav seeker.. i just use the TGP > make SPI > slew all to SPI > switch to mav > slew off target > slew all to SPI > attempt lock ....

Slewing the mav itself is... well a complete waste of time and so damn frustrating, it simply can't be the way it's meant to be done..

Edited by MadTommy

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Been mentioned in the forums already, this ground stab behaviour of the mav in the sim is true to life.

If so then as hardcore sim pilots we DEAL WITH IT like RL Hog pilots must.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Slewing the Maverick onto target is rather easy if your velocity vector is pointing at or near the target. In other words, pretend you're on a super long range gun run and start flying directly towards that enemy tank from 10mi. Slewing and locking the Mav on him will be trivially easily as soon as you get in range, no TGP or SPI's required.

Slewing the Maverick onto target is rather easy if your velocity vector is pointing at or near the target. In other words, pretend you're on a super long range gun run and start flying directly towards that enemy tank from 10mi. Slewing and locking the Mav on him will be trivially easily as soon as you get in range, no TGP or SPI's required.

Problem is in RL if you fly that slow, that straight for any length of time you are toast ,well done and crispy,.:music_whistling:

Of course if you have had sead teams completely clear the area, and fighters clear the sky then I guess you could fly in there with a C172 and drop grenades out the window.

I have watched these guys in war time come in beaming the target, do a pop up and roll maneuver, take out the target and break away.

It was awesome!:thumbup:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Problem is in RL if you fly that slow, that straight for any length of time you are toast ,well done and crispy,.:music_whistling:

Aaah, of course! Wait until you have conditions with little to no turbulence. The buggers calling for CAS can wait! ;)

Well, it's no different than a guns or rockets run. Remember that the Mav seeker is bore-sighted when first uncaged. If you initiate the run-in from within the Mav seeker's range, it will take you no longer to let off a Mav or two than it will take to unload a couple hundred 30mm or a couple FFAR salvos.

At first glance the ground stabilization feature seems useful but i'm having some doubts.

So, I slew the seeker to the target area and ground stabilize. But the moment I attempt to manoeuvre the seeker with any kind of precision over a target it drops out of GS and we're back to square one trying to 'chase' what is essentially a moving target. Why can't it stay ground-stabilized as I slew the seeker onto a target?

Am I just doing it wrong or is a strongly worded letter to Raytheon in order?

Aahh.....the sweet sting of Reality :P

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

TGP and slave to spi is indeed the way to go. Personally, after finding the target, I make it SPI with TGP, turn out to about 12 miles then run in with the nose directly lined up with the target. Hit autopilot, throttle back to 60-70%, switch mfcd to mav and slew to 3 or 4 and job is a good one. If you dont have to worry about enemy planes or the likes of the dreaded Osas, then gaining lots of altitude and using path hold with 5 to 10 degrees nose down and airbrakes out will keep the mav crosshair fairly steady. Using the height and path hold method you can easily fire most or all your mavs before you get within 4 miles of the target area, with possibly enough time get the tgp on another target for an LGB or JDAM. Thats a lot of pain coming down in one pass :D:joystick:

"Eject eject eject! Say goodbye, a**hole."

"Eject eject eject! Goodbye, a**hole!" :megalol:

i7 980x, Corsair H70, Asus Rampage 3 Extreme, 6Gb Corsair Dominator GT, 2x 6990 Crossfire, OCZ Vertex II 60Gb, 2x WD Caviar Black 1Tb, X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI, G19, Roccat Kone+, HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR 5 + Trackclip Pro

It is best to use AP while trying to aquire a lock with just the mav seeker. Otherwise forget it, you wont be getting off snap shots like lockon anymore...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Been mentioned in the forums already, this ground stab behaviour of the mav in the sim is true to life.

I thought some things don't work quite right due to WIP? Is this still true, or is the Mav complete?

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

I thought some things don't work quite right due to WIP? Is this still true, or is the Mav complete?

Toggling from a non-track state to a tracked state is currently being tweaked afaik. All else is pretty much spot-on.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'