Canopy scratches?

moggel

Canopy scratches?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Canopy scratches?

• Yup, I reeeeally miss those little thingeys in the sunset...
    • Naaah, I couldn't care less...
    • Yes! And an option to carve a line in the canopy with my mouse every time I smoke some armour...

The ground crew just forgot to polish the back seat's canopy.

No they simply cannot polish inside(!) the polycarbon. The tiny "scratches" are actually crazing inside the canopy's material when exposed to sunlight for some time.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, as noted previously, this doesn't show up nearly as much to the human eye as it does to a camera, because of stereoscopic vision. It's the same reason that, I.R.L., you "see through" (around, really, but it looks transparent) most of the canopy bars while you're focusing on a distant object behind them, while in the sim they are fully opaque and very obstructing.

I don't object to a realistic, subtle canopy scratches effect which occurs only when & where it should, and which looks on the monitor exactly as it does to the naked eye in reality, but most of the people in this thread appear to be asking for the horrific blindness which was old LO:MAC's very unrealistic canopy scratches. (I had to mod it out ... only two mods on my old LO:MAC installation, one to improve cloud F.P.S. and the other to get rid of the ridiculous scratches.) No thanks--not in a realistic flight simulator.

Totally agree, as said before: I would like a more subtle simulation of crazing and perhaps some little(!!!) scratches, but realistic in a way of corresponding to the light source. The Lock On/FC2 effect was a bit overdone, but still I liked the feeling of actually looking through a canopy.

I think the BMS picture shows a nice and subtle effect there... and if it is implemented as an option, everyone will be happy. :smilewink:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I don't like the BMS version, it's too plastic... I look at it and I just know right away that it's a "sticker" texture...

But the FC2 one, man... it's done so right! Don't even think it's esagerated a single bit...

compare_bms_fc2.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

Incidentally, DCS: P-51 features these scratches, and they're pretty good. (The reflections, on the other hand, are "pasted on" and so, although they look great when everything's stationary, they aren't right when you move your virtual head around & stuff.)

Incidentally, DCS: P-51 features these scratches, and they're pretty good.

Just found this one cockpit screenshot where the crazing in Mustang's cockpit it is visible:

full-299-26204-p_51_pre_alpha_5.jpg

Can anyone of you 'Stang flyboys confirm it? Screenshot maybe?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here are three screenshots. Each has the camera pointing in the exact same direction. Shots were taken a couple of seconds apart, while stationary on the ground. The first one is 100 degrees FoV, the second one is 75 deg., and the third is 30 deg.

It's still more than you would usually notice I.R.L. ('coz of aforementioned stereoscopic thing), but quite reasonably done. I'm happy with it. It's nothing dreadful like old LO:MAC's. P-51D's canopy scratches look nice, anyway, and aren't far from the real deal, I.M.O.

Screen_120917_041244.thumb.jpg.dd11e94e1a4f2ea83e5ed8788d9c3b99.jpg

Screen_120917_041246.thumb.jpg.39046a37a2e483c2100b83350530172f.jpg

Screen_120917_041248.thumb.jpg.dd72ecb6d54ac45842c17d56b888bcb0.jpg

Edited by Echo38

I don't like the BMS version, it's too plastic... I look at it and I just know right away that it's a "sticker" texture...

But the FC2 one, man... it's done so right! Don't even think it's esagerated a single bit...

Have you sat in a real fighter and seen how it looks? Too me both are fine.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Were your eyes focused on a distant object (e.g. something five hundred yards away), or were you staring at the canopy?

Depending on where the sun was, but yes it's more noticeable if looking at the canopy. While flying you get distracted by the flight and fight a lot of times and you phase that out, just like how rl would be.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Depending on where the sun was, but yes it's more noticeable if looking at the canopy. While flying you get distracted by the flight and fight a lot of times and you phase that out, just like how rl would be.

Which is something which can't be done in-sim... requires stereoscopic vision

perhaps?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Which is something which can't be done in-sim... requires stereoscopic vision

perhaps?

They become less noticeable in real life and in the game has you get more busy fighting. That doesn't require anything, it's just how it goes when you get busy. I have never thought while fighting a person, hmmm the canopy scratches to fake. There are a lot of things that a monitor just can't do that our eyes can. Flying or even sitting in a fighter you will see what a big difference it is.

They become less noticeable in real life ~ There are a lot of things that a monitor just can't do that our eyes can. Flying or even sitting in a fighter you will see what a big difference it is.

yes, less noticable because of where the rl eyes focus to... on the canopy or out into the blue

and yes, another monitor/ one-eye (ingame) vision problem

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

Distraction is a wholly different element. It doesn't have anything to do with stereoscopic vision. Human eyes can focus on a distant object, which has the effect of making sufficiently small objects (such as a scratch, or even a canopy bar), which are located in between the eye and the distant object, appear transparent. This cannot be realistically replicated on a P.C. monitor* because both of your eyes are focused on the monitor a couple of feet away from you. As a result of this discrepancy, canopy scratches and canopy bars are more visually obstructing in a P.C. sim than they are in reality. The level of distraction is irrelevant.

*Unless, that is, you possess a pair of shutter-goggles and software which accommodates it--which, AFAIK, no P.C. flight sim in existence does.

Edited by Echo38

Distraction is a wholly different element. It doesn't have anything to do with stereoscopic vision. Human eyes can focus on a distant object, which has the effect of making sufficiently small objects (such as a scratch, or even a canopy bar), which are located in between the eye and the distant object, appear transparent. This cannot be realistically replicated on a P.C. monitor* because both of your eyes are focused on the monitor a couple of feet away from you. As a result of this discrepancy, canopy scratches and canopy bars are more visually obstructing in a P.C. sim than they are in reality. The level of distraction is irrelevant.

~

yes.. perhaps "binocular" vision would have been a better term than "stereoscopic" vision.. even though both are essentially the same.

Binocular meaning two eyes and stereoscopic being the effect of using two eyes, with regard to near and far focus and the effect thereof of an object in the way of the view. Distraction can/ does cause the focus (of the eyes) to shift

Edited by Wolf Rider

-

Anyway, I think I voted "Naaah, I couldn't care less... " since there are things we will never get from flying in front of a monitor to include sounds and the feel. If people could feel the G's they pull in this game as they are in real life, they wouldn't be doing some crazy stuff I have seen. That's another story or thread that would end up nowhere.

Can someone explain, why something active on the DCS Mustang cockpit can't be turned on in the DCS Warthog module in the same DCS World environment, or at least embedded as an option...?

:cry::cry::cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

you guys make it sound like a lunatic dog is sitting in the cockpit trying to get out HAHAHAHAAA!!! :lol:

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

The A-10C canopy isn't the same shape & size as the P-51D canopy. If you simply copied & pasted the scratches from one to the other, as you suggest, then you'd end up with errors.

Any idea of a person that could make it work for the Hawg... to make it as a mod or something? :unsure:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Good day gents,

to revive an old thread, can someone by chance point me to a mod which will give the FC 3 Mig-29s, Su-27s and Su-33 the cockpit scratches back?

That would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Cheers

Tom

Bad poll.

The only possible answers are:

1) Yes, I agree

2) I don't care

3) I make fun of it

So I vote for the 4th possible answer:

4) No, I don't want them

REALLY!!?!?!? :D

Now that FC3 is in the game... I think it's time to bring them canopy crazing to all the airframes...

Make me a canopy crazed Christmas ED, please, with sugar on top... :holiday:

Edited by Aries

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Canopy scratches are unrealistic and they interfere badly with target detection. IRL, you eyes would be focused at infinity, and also, even if you did see them, your brain's depth perception would reject them. We have no such natural "scratch rejection" on a simulated on a 2D screen, so yea, they interfere badly with target detection in ways that are unrealistic. I hate them.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.