Canopy scratches?

moggel

Canopy scratches?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Canopy scratches?

• Yup, I reeeeally miss those little thingeys in the sunset...
    • Naaah, I couldn't care less...
    • Yes! And an option to carve a line in the canopy with my mouse every time I smoke some armour...

Mustang has a tiny cracks all over the canopy, visible only when you are staring to the sun, something like on the foto above. IMHO it shouldn't be too hard to implement it to the Hog and BS. Or...?

It's natural in the P-51 but not in the F-15C or any other jet fighter as the pilot first use his eyes and they look trough a visor and is definetly not focused at the canopy glass at 20000 feet so it is not visible! Why do you ever want something that is not real in a real simulator?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...pilot first use his eyes and they look trough a visor and is definetly not focused at the canopy glass at 20000 feet so it is not visible!...

What focus are you talking about? There is no Depth of Field or eye focusing simulated in DCS

For example 7:35 - 7:45... very "unrealistic" cracks and scratches on the canopy. You can see it in your car also, when driving to the dawn/sunset :smilewink:

Edited by Suchacz

It's natural in the P-51 but not in the F-15C or any other jet fighter as the pilot first use his eyes and they look trough a visor and is definetly not focused at the canopy glass at 20000 feet so it is not visible! Why do you ever want something that is not real in a real simulator?

NoNoNo, I DO want to have it 100% realistic!!! Give me a Keyboard shortcut to flip my visor up (seeing the tiny fractures in the plexiglass) and to flip it down (not seeing the tiny fractures reflecting the sunlight), in addition the realistic mode of flipping down the sunshield on my helmet to block the sun glare would be nice AND realistic.:smilewink:

Ok, that would mean additional work on that, but it is REALISTIC as hell, so not to stress the devs to much, I would consider a compromise by doing what was asked a lot already:

Make the fractures an OPTIONAL effect, everybody may choose or not choose (Visor up or Visor down, if you like it realistic)... but give others the possibility to choose, please.

I never said I want it as a standard. I always asked to have the choice.

EDIT: ...and also said before - the effect is already done

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

+1 :D

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I think more than scratches...real physical birds flying to go along with the slider would be amazing. :p

And yes please...

rain drops, snow..

also rooster tails from wheels on runway in rainy take off/landings.

Edited by Witchking

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I think more than scratches...real physical birds flying to go along with the slider would be amazing. :p

And yes please...

rain drops, snow..

also rooster tails from wheels on runway in rainy take off/landings.

I saw somebody already experimenting with bird flocks, no kidding!

When we consider MP this maybe not a briliant idea, since every flock of birds must be synchronized.

And before that I would absolutely have a focus on synchronized clouds in MP!!!

I didn't notice at first, but when I asked my buddy to go above the cloud in front of us and he wondered "what cloud?", I was astonished the clouds are randomized effects on each client... Ok, from the data amount it is obvious why the don't synchronize this, but with Jets (FC3 and other DCS titles) coming into the World, dogfights may get very interesting when diving for cover in a cloud...:huh:

Shagrat

I say bring em back again (they were awesome!) and let the individual users decided to have them on or off. Also consider this... if they were originally in DCS A-10C, that must mean the code is still in there? Maybe it's just a matter of calling the function within the code then recompiling the exe into an update.

I say bring em back again (they were awesome!) and let the individual users decided to have them on or off. Also consider this... if they were originally in DCS A-10C, that must mean the code is still in there? Maybe it's just a matter of calling the function within the code then recompiling the exe into an update.

Canopy scratches are not code. They are part of the cockpit 3D model, which would have to be modified by ED to bring back the scratch layer on the glass. Essentially it's a duplicate glass object that instead of a reflection texture uses just a normal map scratch texture to render the scratches when the light hits it. This is something that ED has to implement, it can't be done any other way.

Back in the day, canopy scratches used to be rendered on a separate model from the cockpit file (Kabina-A10 for example) which is why you always had 2 for each cockpit (i.e. Kabina-A-10.cmd and Kabina-A-10-GLASS.LOM). When DCS A-10C beta first came out, the cockpit was still in LOM format and used the same 2 model method - one for the pit and one for glass. Over time the model got updated to EDM format to use self-shadowing, and during this transition the use of the second GLASS model was dropped in favor of the new method I described above. But the model never got updated with a scratch layer AFAIK.

jj3m7dZ.png

Edited by Blaze

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Me want a scratchy layer for my haaaaaaaaaaaaawg pit... kmeeeeeeeeeeee...

...it's like I'm this kid looking at a store window, head to glass (hard), and inside it's the Mustang, a toy I don't wanna buy but it has this cool crazed cockpit glass, and then I look through tears to my right hand... I'm holding my Warthog model... and boy do I love it... I clutch my hand even stronger arround it... but then I fall to tears again...

:cry::cry::cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

Just wow... :huh:

Edited by Blaze

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

• 1 month later...

Anyways its simple :

Any actual simulator don't simulate a guy that we embody inside a cockpit but it simulate a camera in the plane that we embody.

Anything new for make us feel real its welcome, even if a huge option page with things to enabled/disabled are needed.

In real life you clearly understand and notice that you look trough a canopy, in simulator, when reflection are disabled and no special color (like the missing orange A10C Wingshield or the golden F22 canopy) can you help to see it, you CAN'T see that your canopy are closed if you look up, try with F-15 or SU-27/33, Mig29 or A10C.

So maybe its not realistic cause army care about aircraft and don't lest a canopy with scratch (and its only true for the biggest army, small army can't change canopy that easy), but it LOOK realistic, you really feel like you look trough a canopy and its not that unrealistic after all cause see scratch are way more realistic than don't know if we look trough a canopy or not.

So an option for anyone want it is welcome...

Anyways ED clearly disabled/delete a lot of feature recently and its BAD.

Like Pugatchev's Cobra, wingtips vortex (rather than adding wing vapor), pilot body inside KA-50 (rather than adding it to other aircraft and give use working kneeboard), or feature like this now forgotten canopy scratch, and anyways for those who wont it, a lot of mods of "no scratch" was always release...Its way better than make feature with possibility to anyone who want to disabled it than just delete it and nothing more...

Anyways ED are way too much overloaded with the 1.2.4, Nevada, next fighter and Thirds party compatibility (and adding us new bugs like the landing gear who collapse during kiss landing with FC3 aircraft :lol: )

And anyways, be honest, rare are people who don't want it and its ONLY visible when the sun make it bright, so its not that unrealistic and finally it give better look to the Sim, and the possibility to disabled it its an important factor.

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

Anyways its simple :

Any actual simulator don't simulate a guy that we embody inside a cockpit but it simulate a camera in the plane that we embody.

Anything new for make us feel real its welcome, even if a huge option page with things to enabled/disabled are needed.

In real life you clearly understand and notice that you look trough a canopy, in simulator, when reflection are disabled and no special color (like the missing orange A10C Wingshield or the golden F22 canopy) can you help to see it, you CAN'T see that your canopy are closed if you look up, try with F-15 or SU-27/33, Mig29 or A10C.

So maybe its not realistic cause army care about aircraft and don't lest a canopy with scratch (and its only true for the biggest army, small army can't change canopy that easy), but it LOOK realistic, you really feel like you look trough a canopy and its not that unrealistic after all cause see scratch are way more realistic than don't know if we look trough a canopy or not.

Basicaly that's what i was thinking. It was the kind of substitute and way to simulate feeling of glass. Funny, because basicaly it's like a definition of advanced simulation. It's about finding the nearest equivalent of feeling or impulse that initiate feeling in a very limited (for our senses standard) environment. Enough of philosophy. I remeber this feature was extremely immersive in LOmac and has been giving very powerful feeling of glass. Miss it a little.

2:08

I wondered that too. BMS has those little scratches.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Can someone explain, why something active on the DCS Mustang cockpit can't be turned on in the DCS Warthog module in the same DCS World environment, or at least embedded as an option...?

:cry::cry::cry:

you should ask modders to bring back canopy scratches in DCSW

this one looks a real F-15D cockpit

Eagle1.jpg

and these screenshots are almost two years old from HungaroJET: "pre-FC3" in DCS-WH with old cockpit models

note the (inside) reflections and scratches: look all authentic/realistic to me (IRL)

open second ant third images on new windows and compare how scrathes resulted/effected by stronger/weaker sunlight :thumbup:

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?p=1260594#post1260594

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?p=1260339#post1260339

screenshot492.jpg

screenshot481b.jpg

screenshot482w.jpg

screenshot478.jpg

screenshot235.jpg

screenshot244j.jpg

screenshot249o.jpg

screenshot260d.jpg

screenshot303k.jpg

sign-pic4.jpg

No no no, fix the F-15C landing gear first!

...or anything else. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: