DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on you guys!

With lots of modern techniques and with the help of Multi CPU-GPU, we can do whatever we want (even breaking the speed limit) :D

Just do your best, and you'll see :)

Let's fly together for the sake of peace :)

I see what ED are trying to achieve. but atm dcs WORLD as we all want it is a long way off. Unfortunately we all have to wait.

Sadly this will NEVER change.

As long as DCS is being developed, upgraded and an active project, we will always find DCS incomplete.

The expectations in realism will rise with each upgrade that is less than perfect (and any simulation is less than reality), while computing power and graphics will constantly grow and change, making adaptations and new standards neccessary and demanded.

Edited by Feuerfalke

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I've read all your comments and I found this topic very interesting...

COFF has wrote in the post #1754:

The development cost of any top-notch FPS engine, be it ForstBite, Unreal Engine, CryEngine or whatever, is tens of millions USD. Given the tiny market for flight sims, there's no commercial sense to invest so much money into the development of a flight sim engine.

Yes you have right, FSX or DCS is a prouve, there's so many guys who like the FPS as COD, MOH, ect, than the flight simulator.

All around me nobody love my passion "flight simulator" so why created one Engine 3D for just one little part of the gamers ?

For me DCS World + A-10C + KA-50 + UH1H Huey + P-51D are the only "game" inside my computer.

I've abandonned FSX because too much problem with this simulator, my PC is never enough powerfull for some addons (scenes + aircrafts)...

So I stay in the world of DCS and for long time...

Bye, Skull.

I just don't get why people think there is a tiny market for flight sims. Take a Look at IL2, the servers were full.

And how many IL-2 servers are full compared to BF3 servers that are full? I bet you the ratio is 1:10 or even worse. That's what it means when people say that flightsims are a niche market, especially combat flight sims.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

And how many IL-2 servers are full compared to BF3 servers that are full? I bet you the ratio is 1:10 or even worse. That's what it means when people say that flightsims are a niche market, especially combat flight sims.

Well obviously they are not full now because the game is old. However, if you are talking a while back then they were very full with lots of servers and clans. I think the reason flight sim servers are not as full now, is because they either produce them with bad FPS regardless of hardware, or they just suck full stop. I am sure if this game had a good map and players didnt have to spend loads on hardware to run these Sims, I think then you would see the number of players increase dramatically. I think a game must run at around 60fps, to get any enjoyment out of it. Anything under say 50fps and it tends to stutter and ruins the whole feel to it.

Edited by Dudester22

Well obviously they are not full now because the game is old. However, if you are talking a while back then they were very full with lots of servers and clans.

Surprise, flight sims used to be less of a niche market in the past. I still doubt that IL-2 in it's prime ever came anywhere near the same ballpark as triple A titles, even of the day.

I think the reason flight sim servers are not as full now, is because they either produce them with bad FPS regardless of hardware, or they just suck full stop.

Or maybe there's just not a lot of people that actually want to invest the time to learn such a complicated contraption in their leasure time. The more i work, the more i can actually empathize.

I am sure if this game had a good map and players didnt have to spend loads on hardware to run these Sims, I think then you would see the number of players increase dramatically.

Which is sorta mutually exclusive. Flight sims have always been among the most hardware demanding of games. I assume that by "good map" you mean higher terrain resolution, more detail in general. Well guess what, you don't get something for nothing. You want excellent graphics, you are going to need excellent hardware, there are no cutsies.

When people like ED say that this is a tiny market, they don't opine, it is based on experience.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Well obviously they are not full now because the game is old. However, if you are talking a while back then they were very full with lots of servers and clans. I think the reason flight sim servers are not as full now, is because they either produce them with bad FPS regardless of hardware, or they just suck full stop. I am sure if this game had a good map and players didnt have to spend loads on hardware to run these Sims, I think then you would see the number of players increase dramatically. I think a game must run at around 60fps, to get any enjoyment out of it. Anything under say 50fps and it tends to stutter and ruins the whole feel to it.

Hardware and performance plays a part in bringing in players for flight sims I am sure, but I would think that the fact that flight sims and more so combat flight sims are more complex to play. Shooters basically require a combat kit that is always at the ready and off you go.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I assume that by "good map" you mean higher terrain resolution, more detail in general. Well guess what, you don't get something for nothing. You want excellent graphics, you are going to need excellent hardware, there are no cutsies.

When people like ED say that this is a tiny market, they don't opine, it is based on experience.

I do have all the hardware, but the game still runs awful on high settings. I think this is what puts people off because it's one thing learning it all and another not been able to run it. I also know that a lot of people like to just pick up a game and play it without learning anything, but there's quite a few games out now where you have to learn things before you play, and I am not just talking Flight Sims.

I don't know why they always blame the learning curve for not being popular like other games, but the performance, and not looking good terrain are the actual problems!

Please make EDGE available before going to Steam platform.

Let's fly together for the sake of peace :)

I just don't get why people think there is a tiny market for flight sims. Take a Look at IL2, the servers were full.

Battlefield 3 sold over 10 Million copies in the first week, 3 Million of which where preorders.

AFAIK there were 100,000 ranked servers online in peak times.

There is no official number, but AFAIK the maximum simultanious players were between 400,000 and 600,000.

The largest number of online-players for IL2 I've ever seen was close to 400.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I don't know why they always blame the learning curve for not being popular like other games, but the performance, and not looking good terrain are the actual problems!

I doubt that.

If you invite your friends to play DCS, how many of them say: No I won't fly because it looks ugly?

Edit: DCS / A-10C is already available on Steam ;)

Edited by Feuerfalke

• ED Team
Surprise, flight sims used to be less of a niche market in the past. I still doubt that IL-2 in it's prime ever came anywhere near the same ballpark as triple A titles, even of the day.

Flight sims have broken into 2 groups now IMHO, which will be even harder on the market, you have lighter flight sims that are easier to get into faster, then you have the hardcore 500 page manual group... its why FC3 level planes are still important to DCS World... but then I am trailing off topic :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Just two groups? .... what about the 'I will only fly jets/props/helis' crowds? :D

Flight sims have broken into 2 groups now IMHO, which will be even harder on the market, you have lighter flight sims that are easier to get into faster, then you have the hardcore 500 page manual group... its why FC3 level planes are still important to DCS World... but then I am trailing off topic :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• ED Team
Just two groups? .... what about the 'I will only fly jets/props/helis' crowds? :D

Well I mean if I got really nit picky we could break it into many groups right... I mean the tactical guys that fly by the rules, more casual guys, MMOers... etc.. but for the sake of sanity, lets just stick with a couple groups :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

... but for the sake of sanity, lets just stick with a couple groups :)

I'm sorry but sanity and flight simmers is an unusual mix. :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm sorry but sanity and flight simmers is an unusual mix. :D

"Must spread rep..." :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well I mean if I got really nit picky we could break it into many groups right... I mean the tactical guys that fly by the rules, more casual guys, MMOers... etc.. but for the sake of sanity, lets just stick with a couple groups :)

Hmmm, I don't want to stretch it, but...

...why did they "break up" in these groups. Were they united before?

Whenever there is a steam sale on A-10C there is usually a decent influx of new players... and that is with the version Steam has being 1.1.1.1.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

With this thread standing at 180 pages long you would think they would at least give use an idea when Nevada map is due out. As it stands we could be waiting years for all we know. I really think this games needs a new map and the sooner the better.

:doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War