DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

Well there is the approach that Il2: Cliffs of Dover took to releasing a graphics engine... twice ;) I think I will stick to this method :)

How long did they take to do that? I bought that game on release and it had to be the biggest let down of my gaming career. I never even looked to see what they did with it because it was so badly broken from the start.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
How long did they take to do that? I bought that game on release and it had to be the biggest let down of my gaming career. I never even looked to see what they did with it because it was so badly broken from the start.

Well my point here is that ED is taking their time, making it right, probably a comfort not available to the CoD team as they had publishers breathing down their necks... and in that, they never got it right... I havent seen anymore on the IG/EDGE than anyone else here, but I have a feeling once we do... all this will be moot at best.

So with the experience of CoD, I am more than happy for them to just get it right...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

The way I think it was described is they rewrote the engine code from the ground up (true? I dont know). It looked the same (or similar) but performed better... but in the end they lost a lot of the features they started with... so who really knows what happened... besides a lot of disappointment...

Did the CoD team release a better engine or just tweaks to the old one? Interested as the game looked ok but run crap.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Did the CoD team release a better engine or just tweaks to the old one? Interested as the game looked ok but run crap.

What I think they did is fool everyone into believing they built a complete new engine, but really just took out as many features as they could to get the game running better. This is a team that would say one thing one week and frustrate the hell out of people by saying something completely different the following week.

Edited by Dudester22

Here's my one off topic comment: I'm still waiting for a COD maps with some kind of dynamic map stuff. The only real one is the one I have seen so far is the one with the shipping containers that move around. Yeah the one with the train is cool, but the train does not come often enough. I want something like an airport with a small monorail with open windows that you can go into and ride around, or doors that can open and close, or even elevators where you have to press the button to activate.

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

• ED Team

Wrong CoD I think ;) Was talking Cliffs of Dover and their example of how not to handle graphics engine creation/recreation/repair/abandonment :D

Here's my one off topic comment: I'm still waiting for a COD maps with some kind of dynamic map stuff. The only real one is the one I have seen so far is the one with the shipping containers that move around. Yeah the one with the train is cool, but the train does not come often enough. I want something like an airport with a small monorail with open windows that you can go into and ride around, or doors that can open and close, or even elevators where you have to press the button to activate.

64Sig.png

Wrong CoD I think ;) Was talking Cliffs of Dover and their example of how not to handle graphics engine creation/recreation/repair/abandonment :D

CLoD

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

And the big question is:

Will it be EDGE or Nevada EDGE ?

Nevada will bring us dx11 but please explain to me this:

Mister Wags said that DCS World is the base, right?

We only pay for modules, right?

Nevada will be a theatre module, right?

Please explain me how dx9 can coexist with dx11 in the same DCS World. (2 seperate theater of operations)

If they cannot coexist, am I going to be forced to buy Nevada to continue public MP and SP with dx11 suport? and dump my ''second neigborhood'' Caucasus?

I realy do not like desert theaters but I love the dx11 update and definetly buy more theaters but not Nevada. I realy dnt mind to pay for a new ''graphics engine'' but I hate to be ''forced'' to jettison my ''second neighborhood'' Caucasus and get stuck in a desert with snakes and lizards. (forests have these animals too but they are well hiden):music_whistling:

Is the story going to be like this? (FC2 chasing some more square kilometers after BS, and then BS2 and FC3 chasing some more sq.k's

after A10C, then they give all the terrein for free and call it DCS world and then the story continues with all of the modules ''forced to chase'' Nevada because of dx11) ?

Will it be like this?

or I am just having a bad day?:doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

If the old map has to go, there will be a new map for free. You can't have DCSWorld be free for people to try with no working map.

Even if the old map still works would that really be the map you show new potential customers when you have the new IG working? I doubt it.

I suspect that at some point after the new IG is working the Nevada map will become the default DCSWorld map. I also suspect other new maps will become available, for purchase, very soon after.

Edited by Paganus
more

And the big question is:

Please explain me how dx9 can coexist with dx11 in the same DCS World. (2 seperate theater of operations)

If they cannot coexist, am I going to be forced to buy Nevada to continue public MP and SP with dx11 suport? and dump my ''second neigborhood'' Caucasus?

I realy do not like desert theaters but I love the dx11 update and definetly buy more theaters but not Nevada. I realy dnt mind to pay for a new ''graphics engine'' but I hate to be ''forced'' to jettison my ''second neighborhood'' Caucasus and get stuck in a desert with snakes and lizards. (forests have these animals too but they are well hiden):music_whistling:

Is the story going to be like this? (FC2 chasing some more square kilometers after BS, and then BS2 and FC3 chasing some more sq.k's

after A10C, then they give all the terrein for free and call it DCS world and then the story continues with all of the modules ''forced to chase'' Nevada because of dx11) ?

Will it be like this?

You're having a bad day because you are being consumed by so many unknowns. ED is holding this one close and not unveiling much at the moment. I feel your pain because I have some of the questions, but like the rest that want answers we will just have to wait. Refer to my signature if the business here begins to bother you. It makes me check myself and take a lock. :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

You're having a bad day because you are being consumed by so many unknowns. ED is holding this one close and not unveiling much at the moment. I feel your pain because I have some of the questions, but like the rest that want answers we will just have to wait. Refer to my signature if the business here begins to bother you. It makes me check myself and take a lock. :)

I hope I am having a bad one ...

I am an ED-holic from lock-on 1.12b until now, and I will continue to be.

But we realy need to consider, that many people jumped on our small ''boat'' just after the release of p51 and the heuy, and some of them (if not all) perchased all 6 available modules (one of them still in beta), full price in less than 2-3 moths with a total cost of ~260$..

Now how can you tell this people that their modules are going to be absolete if they do not buy Nevada theatre.

On this post: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1309493&postcount=1

They state that EDGE is a rendering engine and it will not cost anything.

On the same post they say that black sea map will not work with EDGE and it will not be updated because it is a huge effort.

So can anyone from ED give a definite answare to those who spended $$$ for modules (one still in beta) in the past 2-3 months, if they do not buy Nevada?

How are you going to update DCS World with dx11 support without Nevada to ''support'' dx11? will you just throw in a ''free'' runway sized dx11 island with a just a runway on it to support DCS World and jettison black sea, forsing people to buy Nevada after all? Or you will just name it DCS EDGE

bundled with Nevada theatre and sell it as a module...

I believe this kind of anwares have to be addressed first, prior to any others like WHEN its coming out or WHERE are those screenshots etc...

Sorry for all this but my friend just left after a big conv. fight we had about how match he spend for MS flight Sim modules (he is a sivilian lover, I call him bus driver) and how match Ive spend over here... and what we get at the end...

:cry: time to eject, cause I fill its coming...:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Checking back the history of many companies around the world when they invest in new technologies they face the hazard of bankruptcy at one point in the future. It's inevitable since obstacles are presented on every turn in every phase of the development and EDGE is no different. I'm not saying that ED is in danger (I pray that they are not), but it's clear to me that after the recent developments of the past few months they had to take important and decisive decisions to overcome these obstacles (most probably financial in nature) and steer clear of any danger. Come to think of it, a kickstarter for EDGE could be considered. Just my 2 cents here.

One famous example I remember now with such history is Rolls Royce when their research department was experimenting on the first true 3-spool engine (Rolls-Royce RB211 high bypass turbofan) originally developed for the Lockheed L-1011 TriStar in 1971. The costs of development forced Rolls-Royce into bankruptcy and nationalisation by the British government. The company managed to survive and the RB211 became the first true three-spool engine, which also turned Rolls-Royce from a small player in the airline industry into a global competitor and thus happy ending.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Will the Black Sea map in its current form work with EDGE?

No. Since the technology behind EDGE is dramatically different, down to the tools that create it, terrain needs to be built with the EDGE benefits in mind. This is a HUGE undertaking and not an easy task to redo something.

The current Black Sea map will continue to work (using the "old"/current rendering engine). The Nevada map (and maybe other terrains in the future) will take advantage of the new rendering engine and look & perform better as a result.

i respect your answer but who should i believe? :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Well...considering that luckybob9 is a 3rd party contributor, I would pretty much ride on his statements and reference his post for the questions you have.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Why can't you believe both? :huh:

The current terrain won't utilise/benefit from EDGE. That doesn't mean they'll be removing or disabling it when they release terrain using EDGE; it just means the existing map won't benefit from the work they're doing for EDGE/Nevada.

The game will just support two terrain rendering engines, like it supports aircraft modules of varying fidelity, and non-aircraft modules like Combined Arms.

Why can't you believe both? :huh:

The current terrain won't utilise/benefit from EDGE. That doesn't mean they'll be removing or disabling it when they release terrain using EDGE; it just means the existing map won't benefit from the work they're doing for EDGE/Nevada.

This seems the most likely option, but in the end we can't be perfectly sure until one of the devs comments on how they are going to solve this.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

This seems the most likely option, but in the end we can't be perfectly sure until one of the devs comments on how they are going to solve this.

Hopefully they will redo (part of) the current map.

Or maybe shift it slightly North, Easth, West or South and make a new one.

Also very curious to know, will EDGE allow for bigger maps?

Or possibly even a full world by loading new section's of terrain as you fly over it.

(ofcourse doing so far enough ahead of you so as not to notice it)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

And the big question is:

Will it be like this?

When you click FLY, the GUI Loads the Rendering Engine and Map Assets.

Clicking FLY on a Mission in Caucaus, will load the Rendering Engine We have now, Clicking FLY on a Nevada/EDGE Map will load the New engine.

DX11 is Windows 7/8 Only, so people will argue about that too.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs