Tracker ir or Freetrack, thought and considerations ...

I'm in the process of setting up Freetrack head tracking , and I'm having problems with PPJOY. I'm thinkin about just biting the bullet and getting Tracker IR, thoughts ?

Thermaltake Tsunani Dream black case, AMD Phenom II X6 1100t Black Edition --- ASUS M4A79T Deluxe - 790FX MOBO--- G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 --- Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM--- SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB ---- SWIFTECH APOGEE H20-220 "Ultima XT" Liquid Cooling, TrackIR5 TrackClip PRO , TM Warthog Hotas:music_whistling:

Track IR works, right out of the box! You can have my TM Warthog before I will give up my TIR.;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

TrackIR = no fiddling, works right after install. Easy. Up to you how you want to set your curves, if at all. Pricey.

Freetrack = Free. All you need is time and a decent webcam and means for a headtracker.

If I had to choose between the two I'd personally go for TIR. Only for the fact that I'm a lazy, impatient bastard and would rather fly than try to make up a head tracker myself. I want to just plug it in and for it to work. That's what I got with TIR.

Same here. TrackIR is the way to go.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

TrackIR = no fiddling, works right after install. Easy. Up to you how you want to set your curves, if at all. Pricey.

Freetrack = Free. All you need is time and a decent webcam and means for a headtracker.

If I had to choose between the two I'd personally go for TIR. Only for the fact that I'm a lazy, impatient bastard and would rather fly than try to make up a head tracker myself. I want to just plug it in and for it to work. That's what I got with TIR.

+1, to add to what has been said already, with a TrackIR there are already profiles made for it....not sure how Freetrack works. If my TIR broke, I wouldn't fly again until I got a new one. The only way for it to break is if my kids do it. No moving parts and it just sits on your monitor or where ever you want to put it. It is a very important piece in flying, to me it's like flying using the keyboard, if you don't have one.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I tried Freetrack and initially thought WOW, this is awesome. However i soon found it annoying as it ended up very jerky and stabilising it meant making it sluggish, not to mention that ppjoy kept giving me crashes. I too bit the bullet and bought TiR5 with the clip and i can honestly say that sims will never be the same again. It is a must and you will think so too once you get yours!

"In victory you deserve champagne, in defeat you need it"

- Winston Churchill

3700X | X570 Aorus Elite | GTX 1070 | 32GB 3200 (3600)mhz Corsair | XFX 850W PSU | Lian Li Lan Cool 2 | Tir5 + TCP, VIVE Cosmos Elite | TMWH #08677 | Saitek Combat Pedals

Why are you messing with PPJOY? There's no need, check out this thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=75917

If you're still not satisfied with Free-Track then by all means go on to TrackIR, not trying to keep it from you ;). I'm just personally very pleased with my Free-Track solution (stable, quick, cheap!) and comparing to experiences from friends' TrackIR I see no benefit in going there.

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

There isn't many objective articles about comparisons between TiR5 and the 'free' alternatives. I would suggest that if you want to get on and enjoy the games rather than playing about and experimenting with headtracking then TiR5 is the way to go and that I'm afraid comes at a cost.

TiR5 also seems to have an excellent resale value on eBay atm so if you don't end up using it you'll recover 70% of your costs I'd imagine.

• ED Team

I use facetracknoir ( no ir head device just a webcam )

sure I had to play about with it to get it just right but it was worth it and it saved me some dosh.

I made a small donation for the facetracknoir 1.6 update and it worked :)

I have sent for a ps3 eye camera £10 which will give me 120fps tracking ( hasn't arrived yet )

so for under £20 I have headtracking and a saving of over £100 ?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=79645

:D

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I've spent a lot of time messing about with Freetrack in the past, and never being completely satisfied with the results. Eventually I dropped the cash on a TrackIR5, and to be frank, there is no comparison.

For the amount of work you have to put in, and what you get out, I wouldn't even blink at paying for another TrackIR.

476th vFG Alumni

Freetrack + Wii remote is the only combo that gets close to TIR5. The Wii remote has an IR camera that is specifically designed to track IR blobs at 100Hz, while the TIR5 tracks at 120Hz.

So if you happen to have a spare Wiimote and a few IR diodes go for it, otherwise TIR5.

Edited by Mustur

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem with TrackIR is that naturalpoint is a dodgy, anticompetitive company who use shady business practices (E.G. trying to force games companies to ONLY support their brand of head tracking and to actively suppress others). If it wasn't for that I'd have bought trackIR. Freetrack with wii remote is better if you have the patience to set it up properly.

Gisen, there isn't any need for that kind of posting... its not constructive, necessary, acurate or verifiable. It isn't even On Topic.

and yes, the arguments for/ against, etc, etc have been done to death... so there's no need to proceed down that road either.

:huh:

• Like 1

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I use facetracknoir ( no ir head device just a webcam )

sure I had to play about with it to get it just right but it was worth it and it saved me some dosh.

I made a small donation for the facetracknoir 1.6 update and it worked :)

I have sent for a ps3 eye camera £10 which will give me 120fps tracking ( hasn't arrived yet )

so for under £20 I have headtracking and a saving of over £100 ?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=79645

:D

Well no you don't really what you have is a headtracking solution costing about £20 + 'a volume of your time' that gives result A vs. a £140 retail solution that gives result B.

What we really need is a respected source to do a fair comparison, but its interesting to hear the opinions of people having tried FreeTrack and FTNoIR and then moved to TiR5. Mainly because having taken the plunge their expectations must be quite high, and if they don't like it they don't have to hold onto it because the resale value is pretty good.

I wonder if SimHQ are avoiding it because of Natural Point advertising, who knows but it does seem an obvious target article for their readers.

Edited by BigBANGtheory

Gisen, there isn't any need for that kind of posting... its not constructive, necessary, acurate or verifiable. It isn't even On Topic.

and yes, the arguments for/ against, etc, etc have been done to death... so there's no need to proceed down that road either.

:huh:

I'm sorry, but it is entirely on topic. The OP wanted to know pros and cons of buying trackir. I told him/her one con, a fairly large one IMO.

And it is also necessary, accurate and verifiable. There is plenty of evidence of what they did, even DCS have stated that they were pressured into only supporting trackir.

even DCS have stated that they were pressured into only supporting trackir.

Nitpick: DCS is a brand. There is no company named DCS. There is TFC (The Fighter Collection) and ED (Eagle Dynamics). ;)

Anyways, how come ED released an API for the use of the FreeTrackNOIR project? ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Anyways, how come ED released an API for the use of the FreeTrackNOIR project? ;)

Well, they released it some 2+ years after the problem first surfaced. No idea how they were able to circumvent NPs request without shooting themselves in the knee, but they did, so kudos.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I don't see how it's a con to using a TrackIR. So what if they pressure developers into not using other systems, by that point you're already using one so it doesn't matter what else is supported :P

Narrow minded maybe, but it's not a con to using TIR.

476th vFG Alumni

I don't see how it's a con to using a TrackIR. So what if they pressure developers into not using other systems, by that point you're already using one so it doesn't matter what else is supported :P

If there is no competition, the price can be dictated. So, if you like to pay non-competitive prices, yes, it doesn't matter. :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I used FreeTrack and was happy. Worked as it should. Remember getting TiR you pay for luxury of installing and instant working. It is as same as being served by waiter in restaurant. If you want to save money get FreeTrack or FaceTracknoIR. Don't know how about you but I would never pay natural Point 100 euros for their product. Not only it is too expensive but also NP behaviour is questionable.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Nitpick: DCS is a brand. There is no company named DCS. There is TFC (The Fighter Collection) and ED (Eagle Dynamics). ;)

yes, they did... and kudos indeed

How did they do it, without shooting themselves in the knee? dunno... but obviously the method was engineered outside of the TIR-SDK-NDA and any copyright (perceived or actual) infringement/s. Plus it wasn't to suit one TIR alternative product only (afaik)... and look what happened... the FT developer, has been heard very little of since, support is tragic and after all the supposed "freeware" and "open source" raves, it has a small dll being held to ransom - it is payware, to have the FT working properly... yes, the bloke seeks reward for his efforts yet cans others for doing so.

(onya ste, for keeping things honest though)

Perhaps some other sites/forums have the right idea of canning discussion?... it leads to polarised division of the members who bunker down and (usually) end up hurling nasties at each other from their respective trenches?

anyway, to each their own... "caveat emptor" as they :huh:

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

and look what happened... the FT developer, has been heard very little of since, support is tragic and after all the supposed "freeware" and "open source" raves, it has a small dll being held to ransom - it is payware, to have the FT working properly... yes, the bloke seeks reward for his efforts yet cans others for doing so.

Well, FaceTrackNoIR works even now with only a webcam (very convenient if you play on a laptop). There are some incompatibilities it seems, but the next public release is supposedly next month. So, it's not really like it's all for naught.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!