Show me your mad dogfighting skills!

Wags

Heated argument with too many Doras. POV clip that I made lately. Enjoy.

This video shows failed physics modelled in DCS. One winged 190 not only didn't flip out of control but also kept on flying level and straight for minutes. In real life, that aircraft would have been spinning out of control long time ago.

• ED Team
This video shows failed physics modelled in DCS. One winged 190 not only didn't flip out of control but also kept on flying level and straight for minutes. In real life, that aircraft would have been spinning out of control long time ago.

I dont agree, he had a good chunk of wing left, and was fighting it quite hard to maintain control, he eventually lost it, seems legit to me... I think the only difference in sim to real world is most pilots would have immediately bailed rather than trying to save it.... we dont have fear for life modelled in the sim ;)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I dont agree, he had a good chunk of wing left, and was fighting it quite hard to maintain control, he eventually lost it, seems legit to me... I think the only difference in sim to real world is most pilots would have immediately bailed rather than trying to save it.... we dont have fear for life modelled in the sim ;)

The damage was substantial, visually. I would say at least 2/3 of the wing got ripped off. Also, I was hoping to see the initial snap roll when the wing suddenly broke off (cuz pilot wouldn't know when exactly the wing was gonna fall off and to balance control to compensate). In video, it was blocked by P51's windshield rim. But I got the feeling it didn't occur. While it is true that there is no fear for life in sim, there is also no financial, political or disciplinary motivations to save a seriously crippled aircraft in sim. ;)

I dunno for the Dora as I am still waiting on this damn Paycheck but I can tell you that the same instant moment the wing goes LALA in your P-51 you definitely have no doubt that something goes completely wrong.

There has been an incident in Israel with a F-15. That guy RTB'ed with 1 wing 100% torn off right at the fuselage...don'say it wont fly on 1 wing, there are starnge things out there that still dont harm any laws of physics, just really really strange..but true.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I dunno for the Dora as I am still waiting on this damn Paycheck but I can tell you that the same instant moment the wing goes LALA in your P-51 you definitely have no doubt that something goes completely wrong.

There has been an incident in Israel with a F-15. That guy RTB'ed with 1 wing 100% torn off right at the fuselage...don'say it wont fly on 1 wing, there are starnge things out there that still dont harm any laws of physics, just really really strange..but true.

Bit

I heard about that f-15 story. But that's not comparable cuz modern jets are designed very different from old WWII planes. For starter, F-15's fuselage is designed to provide lift in addition to what wings can give you. While losing 1 wing will undoubtedly upset your balance, the lift generated from the fuselage will help to mitigate the effect. The same cannot be said for WWII fighters.

The wings can produce uneven lift and still be controllable if you have enough control surfaces to maintain level flight. Example, you can get uneven slat and/or flap deployment and you might not spin out. Level flight is achieved with control surfaces, not airplane design. Conditions are never perfect to the point the airplane flies dead level with no trim and no correction. With a damaged wing, it's just a question of how much control the airplane has (left) and if that is enough to maintain level flight.

• ED Team

It is really about surviving the moment the damage happens, I remember reading a story about a B-17 that lost most of one wing, went inverted, but was able to roll back over long enough for everyone to bail out, I cant confirm that story as I dont remember where I read it of course...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I heard about that f-15 story. But that's not comparable cuz modern jets are designed very different from old WWII planes. For starter, F-15's fuselage is designed to provide lift in addition to what wings can give you. While losing 1 wing will undoubtedly upset your balance, the lift generated from the fuselage will help to mitigate the effect. The same cannot be said for WWII fighters.

I am not comparing the F-15 to any WWII Airplane, it is only an example of how odd you can fly.

SiThSpAwN's picture says it all and I bet you can cut off some more and it would still fly if the Pilot has the guts 'n' skills... just dont give up stirring the stick to find the magic spot where it suddenly flies tamed.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 4 weeks later...

MY FIRST KILL!

I know you can all probably put me to shame but I am beaming right now. I've only ever dabbled in flight sims before, playing EF2000 casually when I was in my early teens and only ever dipping my toes into A-10C and the blackshark before giving up; this is the first time I've actually taken a simulator seriously and I'm hooked.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I notice that when he turns he uses lots of rudder to bring the nose down during a turn; I have always been trying to keep the slip indicator centred even when trying to pull a similar turn, do I not need to worry about the slip indicator so much? Also prior to this sortie I've always left the radiator doors in automatic (and many times blown up the engine), for this sortie I deliberately set a control on my hotas and opened them fully with no problems (although you may notice in the track that I deliberately kept my RPM below maximum); is this something you guys do and is there any disadvantage to having the coolant go below the green mark?

Screen_140930_165242.thumb.jpg.88db0ec48945ef1d3affe4215e74d9a0.jpg

Screen_140930_170141.thumb.jpg.0e2904bf9e4258397a7cb738bfd02101.jpg

P-51D vs Fw190 FIRST KILL.trk

MY FIRST KILL!

I know you can all probably put me to shame but I am beaming right now. I've only ever dabbled in flight sims before, playing EF2000 casually when I was in my early teens and only ever dipping my toes into A-10C and the blackshark before giving up; this is the first time I've actually taken a simulator seriously and I'm hooked.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I notice that when he turns he uses lots of rudder to bring the nose down during a turn; I have always been trying to keep the slip indicator centred even when trying to pull a similar turn, do I not need to worry about the slip indicator so much? Also prior to this sortie I've always left the radiator doors in automatic (and many times blown up the engine), for this sortie I deliberately set a control on my hotas and opened them fully with no problems (although you may notice in the track that I deliberately kept my RPM below maximum); is this something you guys do and is there any disadvantage to having the coolant go below the green mark?

Congrats on the kill! I'd say generally you want to have coordinated flight in a turn otherwise you're losing precious energy. There are times when you're not worried so much about being coordinated but for smooth flying, you want to be. In a dogfight, I usually keep a slightly nose down attitude in a turn. I lose a bit of altitude but it helps keep my speed up.

As for the radiator doors, I used to do like you but I now keep them in automatic. From what I've been told, a cold engine can be hazardous as well or at least not be as efficient. The green zone is there for a reason.

MY FIRST KILL!

Hey, I just got mine too! I never would have thought to buy the Mustang, as I don't really like the plane IRL, but I received a free key and tried out the "dogfight" instant action. Within a few minutes, I had him! It was a lot easier than in the Dora, I could actually aim and I felt that 51 handles much easier. (Maybe It's the curves that I set up . . . Who knows.) The P-51 really can turn, and with a little bit of lag pursuit it was easy to kill the sole Fw.

nIbswFR.jpg

ND6tRop.jpg

Plus landing pic: :lol:

pbqRvB1.jpg

flare

Edited by flare2000x
spelling

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

• 4 weeks later...

First dogfight = first kill!

I just purchased the P-51D on Steam.

First instant action dogfight and I managed to shoot the wing off the Dora.

I hadn't setup the gunsight controls yet, so it was mostly shooting by observing where the tracers fly :)

first dogfight.trk

MSI GTX 770 2GB -> 1920x1200, MSI H97M, Xeon 1231v3, 16GB

• 1 month later...

I guess the L-39 isn't a V1.

I'm building a mission in which the player's P-51's are tasked to shoot down a pair of L-39 spotter planes, so I figured I'd test them in 1 vs. 1 before I subjected the player to a situation he can't overcome.

After 229 50-cal hits on this damn L-39 without it dying, I think I'm going to scrap the idea.

However, after I run out of ammo, I got inspired by a story I read of an RAF Meteor pilot tipping a V1 flying bomb over with his wing after a gun jam, I decided to try the same thing against the hole-riddled L-39.

Results are predictable. Track attached.

039A08C1BDE411D6454D48AC4DC878FDA442EA31

B9D9CFE0BB89E70C907B24BF64A218088F83347F

EDIT: Shot it down on a second attempt with 163 hits. Compared to the few dozen it took to down the An-26 and MiG-15, I'm not sure how the damage models are working.

Buzz Bomb.trk

Edited by Zilch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

• 3 weeks later...

simple... effective... clean...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

simple... effective... clean...

Thats a Fw190 not the Kurfurst 109K4

If you did that agianst a 109 you would be dead after second circle

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Thats a Fw190 not the Kurfurst 109K4

If you did that agianst a 109 you would be dead after second circle

Oh sorry... I am mistaken it is a Fw190 Dora..:smartass:

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I want to get better at making videos. In this one I use one of the filters in the youtube editing process and I like how it turned out. I want to do more of these because I enjoy doing so. This flight is nothing special but just an instant action dogfight I happen to have some fun doing. Though, because of some songs I chose to add into the video, it is not allowed in some countries. For this I'm considering using Vimeo because I don't think that is an issue with them. But anyways, I don't have anywhere else to share this video where anybody would give a hoot. So I hope you'll enjoy.

Edited by Zompa

Oh sorry... I am mistaken it is a Fw190 Dora..:smartass:

No worries. I made a K4 video though :P Also, against AI.

I wish I could make a video from MP, but all my replays don't work properly :(

Anyway enjoy.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

No worries. I made a K4 video though :P Also, against AI.

I wish I could make a video from MP, but all my replays don't work properly :(

Anyway enjoy.

Awesome flying. I always enjoy watching your videos. Every time I watch them, I pick up something new from them. Some MP stuff will be great. Btw, from your MP experience, were you able to get many kills against k4s in mustang?

Awesome flying. I always crashed during watching your videos. Every time I watch them, I pick up something new from them. Some MP stuff will be great. Btw, from your MP experience, were you able to get many kills against k4s in mustang?

Thank you. :)

And... Well I have only met one K4 so far and he crashed when turning at low alt. I have the 109 though and can say that for now it is superior to the mustang.

But, good tactcal placement and energy advantage can mitigate its advantage in performace. One thing is certain about 109. It is very delicate, and eve a short burst can put it out of action.

My channel: