Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CCP presented a Space dogfighting game set in the EVE universe with the rift now. Flying stuff is simply the best fit for this kind of device...

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Update:

FaceTrackNoir now has a Rift plug-in in the latest Alpha build ( ver. 1.8 ) so it is now possible to use the Rift sensors for head movement in all TrackIR compatible games, including DCS. FTNOir also allows for an additional sensor to be used for head positional tracking for the full 6 DOF treatment.

Next hurdle is side by side 3D with lens warp and DCS will fully Rift compatible :)

Someone on the Rift Developer Forums used that FaceTrackNoIR feature combined with the Vireio driver to get FSX support going (read more about it here), so DCS must be possible as well. I'll test as soon as I get my much anticipated Rift hardware.

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

CCP presented a Space dogfighting game set in the EVE universe with the rift now. Flying stuff is simply the best fit for this kind of device...

Do you have a link for that? Was it based on their mouse menu interface, or did they implement a joystick / HOTAS interface for controlling the ship?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Sure, there is a making of and some background info:

It is first person and is does have twitch-based flight controls like Wing Commander for example. It is just set in the EVE universe.

hi all , I had previous experience with the vuzix vr920 in lomac , some may remember my youtube video "now deleted" where I had a camera facing my head while wearing the headset and also an in game shot and I flew along with a tanker.

these headsets are not for everyone and I admit if you want to use your cockpit then you should go the route of building a scale cockpit.

these headsets are the best way to get immersion imo , there is no better way to just fly then to have a 3D HMD.

as with the vr920 support was limited so we used things like glovepie to take the tracking data and put it in game , so I think all this device would need is the ability to warp the display of the sim. but then there is other software that could do this anyway.

Not having a full cockpit will result in lack of haptic feedback, but apart from that i don't see much downside when not having a pit. I could easily put a trackball or mouse near me, I could put a slightly downward tilted Leap Motion on the front plate of a rift and track my hands and use mouse emulation that way and so on (and yes, Leap can track hands from above, not only from below).

At no point would I need a real pit. But yes, it would be nicer. But I imagine myself to be pretty grumpy when I build myself the A-10C pit of my dreams just to have the Hornet come out shortly afterwards. ;)

The nice thing about these synthetic setups is the flexibility - you can build almost all of the plane-specific stuff in config files and software and can switch between planes within minutes. Once haptic gloves come out in decent quality, there will be no reason to build home pits for haptics anymore. But this will need native support by ED then, because the hands tracked in 3D need to have collision detection with the switches in the pit to enable the haptic feedback.

I don't think things like this can be done with driver injection as it is done for the visuals in some games at the moment.

I am already annoyed with this TrackIR thing I have to wear. No way I am wearing a full helmet. How will I drink my beer and be able to see where I set it down?? And I can't see my keyboard. Which is huge problem.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel DZ77GA70K Extreme Board | Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 4.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW Edition | Corsair Hydro Series H60

Corsair Enthusiast Series 750W | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 | Corsair Obsidian Series 550D | Triple Acer 27" 2ms 5760x1080

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cyborg M.M.O.7 | Razor BlackWidow Ultimate | TrackIR 4

I am already annoyed with this TrackIR thing I have to wear. No way I am wearing a full helmet. How will I drink my beer and be able to see where I set it down?? And I can't see my keyboard. Which is huge problem.

That's part of the increase in immersion... you're not allowed to drink on duty! :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

The mistake that alot of people are making right now is that you are getting stuck behind the Oculus's current limitations. The product released is the DEVELOPER KIT. No way shape or form the final product. So not supporting it becasue you cant see the keyboard is down right silly. Not to mention short sighted. there are already mods for the rift that incorperate cameras to allow you to see the outside world at the touch of a button. But by the time that is released you will be behind the curve because you didnt do enough research into what the current Rift is, or what the future rift will be.

All this product needs for integration is a pre warp shader, and a program to tie into the tracking info coming from the rift. THATS IT. So to say were not going to support because it doesnt have X or Y in the DEV version is just silly.

So devs, take a minute go the MTBS forums and just watch all the mods being made for the rift. The best ones are going to be part of the consumer version. And the fact the DCS supports it will drive a lot of people towards the DCS series.

What you can gain for the minimal amount of work you have to do is off the charts.

I have to look through a camera to see things? So when my friends walk into my room I have to look at them through the screen. I will probably never buy something like this in my life. Maybe if all I did was flight sim. But I don't, so I won't probably need one for plain old gaming. Commercially and training purposes this thing is awesome. But personal use it looks un-needed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel DZ77GA70K Extreme Board | Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 4.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW Edition | Corsair Hydro Series H60

Corsair Enthusiast Series 750W | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 | Corsair Obsidian Series 550D | Triple Acer 27" 2ms 5760x1080

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cyborg M.M.O.7 | Razor BlackWidow Ultimate | TrackIR 4

I have to look through a camera to see things? So when my friends walk into my room I have to look at them through the screen. I will probably never buy something like this in my life. Maybe if all I did was flight sim. But I don't, so I won't probably need one for plain old gaming. Commercially and training purposes this thing is awesome. But personal use it looks un-needed.

Don't buy it. Let us talk about it though :thumbup:

Numerous People in the DCS Community already have a dev unit, so ..... Take it for what you will,

I've played hands on, and gave my dev unit to a friend that can actually program stuff in MS VS, so it's better off in his hands than mine.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Camelbak on the back of my seat, drinking tube clipped on my shirt near my mouth. Bam, instant in-flight rehydration system! :D

And it takes beer too! But don't combine it with a buttkicker, shaking beer makes it spill all over the place ;)

In other news: Somebody beat me to trying a Leap velcro'ed to the front of the Rift. This is the future of flight simming I think:

Don't tell me I've to install FSX for this.. please! Unfortunately neither the vireo tweak drivers works for DCS, but whatever.. a official support would be the best thing. Can't wait for it!

Been looking for this.

I am a new user, and have heard many good things about DCS World. I too would like to see Oculus Rift Support as it would be one of the only reasons I would even consider playing games. If possible I would also like to see support for a 360 degree rotating cockpit (like Max Flight, and/or something cheaper), so I could use it alongside the Oculus Rift for the ultimate Air Combat experience. But please at least put Oculus Rift support in.

In this month's issue of Popular Science it was stated that the Oculus Rift "May have a consumer unit available in the next few years". So don't hold your breath.

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Popular science may not be the best source for this. Dev Kit version 2 will be available later this year and really everything points to a release somtime in 2014. So it might not be this year for the consumer version, but it will be in a not too long timespan rather than years.

What the hell is "Popular Science" a Disney newspaper? ahahahha.. there's new games adding native support for OR day by day.. the last simulation to add it is Project CARS. Actually we have around 3000 oculus rift owners, they will be around 13,000 in September, followed by the commercial launch (the current devices are developers kits).

TrackIR is complete crap compare to the Oculus Rift, so please add the support for it, or at least tell us how to break into the DX with a injector like the vireo drivers.

In this month's issue of Popular Science it was stated that the Oculus Rift "May have a consumer unit available in the next few years". So don't hold your breath.

John

Did they provide a source for that 'quote'?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: