Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but Eagle's incentive would be to sell more DCS modules if they supported the Rift, not vice versa :D

It may come down to a hen/egg problem.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I've found a dirty method of getting DCS working with the Rift (non-stereoscopic). The method edits the monitor lua to display two identical side by side images. Then a user made program called Oculus Overlay applies the barrel warp. FacetrackNOIR is used for head tracking.

Note: I do not have my Rift yet so I've only tested the split screen with barrel warp, not FacetrackNOIR, YMMV. Let me know if you try it with a Rift and any problems come up.

Step 1:

Create a side by side monitor lua file-

Open the folder ...\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\MonitorSetup\

Create a copy of one of the LUAs in the folder and edit it as below.

Select this monitor in your DCS options menu. See this thread for more detailed info on monitor setup: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=60815&highlight=multiple+monitors

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('Oculus');

Description = 'Configuration with 2 identical monitors side by side'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width / 2;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect / 2;

},

Right =

{

x = screen.width / 2;

y = 0;

width = screen.width / 2;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect / 2;

}

}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

Step 2:

Turn off full screen mode and set resolution to 1280x800 in DCS options.

Step 3:

Download and launch the Rift compatible build of FacetrackNOIR found here: http://www.speedyshare.com/J2RjC/ftnoir-posix-20130428-2.7z

That version of FacetrackNOIR may be out of date, so you might want to snoop around GitHub for the latest and greatest: https://github.com/sthalik/facetracknoir-posix/blob/master/ftnoir_tracker_rift/ftnoir_tracker_rift.cpp

Set FacetrackNOIR to Rift and FreeTrack 2.0.

Step 4:

Download Oculus Overlay found here: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=299

Overlay requires you to download the XNA library. The links can be found in the Overlay thread above.

Step 5:

Follow the instructions for Oculus Overlay included in the read me file to set your screen capture area, zoom and distortion. Also Oculus Overlay likes to run on the same core as your game so you could probably see a decent performance boost by setting its affinity to a free CPU core.

-

iZ3D is another possibility rather than the lua edit but I haven't tried it yet. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80407

Credit to the good people at the War Thunder forums for hashing this out for War Thunder and Wings of Prey.

Edited by Burner_Tbird2

Made a small fix, resolution should be 1280x800 not 1200. My bad.

I've been messing around with the iZ3D drivers but haven't had success with the side-by-side mode yet. Wasn't able to get a copy of the 1.10 driver that PeterP said was working, so I'm trying the 1.13RC.

If I had to pay extra money just to be able to update black shark at some point (I will never forget that, ED *grrrrrr* ) I would gladly pay for the OR to be supported in DCS World. The easiest money ever earned as the OR's SDK makes it quick and easy.

About the 'keyboard issue', I think it would be just so easy to have little windows below the eyes to have a view of the real world instead of all those high tech solutions described here.

It may interfere on immersion, but I can imagine that not being able to see your own body for an extended period may be quiet uncomfortable. I mean, you are moving your arms reaching for whatever controls but you don't see them. You are perfectly transparent. It must feel weird.

how do you grab your beer without knocking it over with this on?

Camelback. :D

Camelback_zpsf73240be.jpg

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Oculus Rift support?

So I just tried the Oculus Rift in various demo's, one being a rather crude helicopter simulation (using the word lightly) but MAN..did it feel like I was in the cockpit, never before have I had the experience after putting this thing on where I actually felt I was inside a real vehicle, despite how crude it was..imagine on something like BS2 or A10c..is there going to be support for this if/when it ever ships? And is there any hacks out there to get it working right now with the dev kits?

I know the resolution of the LCDS isn't quite there yet..but thats only a matter of time, and it the way to control the game with a HMD is hard (since the keyboard is obscured) but just the act of sitting in a fully immersive cockpit in DCS would be mind blowing!!

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Oculus rift support

I know this has come up before and Wags has even said it looks interesting.

Just throwing it out there again as it seems to be picking up momentum in other games that are in development.

I know there are some issues (can't see keyboard while wearing a headset, stereoscopic 3D doesn't work in dcs yet) but I think this is the next natural evolution from TrackIR and the increased immersion would be reason enough to support the consumer version when it is released.

With a decent Hotas, fully clickable cockpit (maybe operated using some kind of hand tracking), higher resolution display and 6dof head tracking, I think dcs would be the perfect showcase for this kind of technology.

Discuss!

Hand Tracking / Mouse Glove + Oculus Rift + Decend HOTAS

It would be crazy awesome... Imagine the possiblitys.

And while youre at it imagine how stupid you would look in your chair clicking virtual buttons in the air! :D

P.S.: The handtracking in my link is pretty old, there is a uprising iwith that technology right now, google for it. very interesting for sim matters!

And while youre at it imagine how AWESOME you would look in your chair clicking virtual buttons in the air!

Fixed that for you :)

Seriously though, you're going to look like a goose with an Oculus on anyway, so I wouldn't go being self-conscious about clicking some virtual buttons.

Yeah, I think it will happen. If the consumer version is as good as it looks like it's going to be, it will be a game changer for sure.

Every sim (driving, infantry, flight) will quickly follow suit and integrate support I would imagine.

Bit worried about what this is going to do to Naturalpoint and TrackIR though.

Saying that, they still have their professional motion tracking equipment and I think they overcharge hugely for TrackIR so I don't feel like I owe them anything.

Occulus Rift looks nice, but I don't think it'll work for DCS. You just really need the keyboard, it is essential. Wish they'd find a solution for that. Also, I think Occulus Rift has no peripheral vision, right? That's a big disadvantage as well for flying helicopters for instance, or racing games. I think that TrackIR in combination with a three monitor setup would still cause more immersion.