Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not do away with said keyboard and mouse and just use the Leap motion.

...or just looking at the buttons, you don't even need to "point" em with the finger. The problem however is about the semi-arcade modules, such as FC3 ...they have no fully clickable cockpits unfortunately.

Just played the rift helicopter demo...hooked up my hydra and flew around for an hour in some crappy demo I would have never tried without the rift. The cockpit was perfect 3d and had the correct zoom. Also, the hydra allows you to lean outside the cockpit while hovering, so cool ! This really shows how Huey flying will be in the near future. I wish Ed could give a little love to the rift! Lol

I forgot about the Hydra. I have one in the closet that has never been hooked up! :doh:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

i dunno.. i think id rather keep my track ir 5 and buy a nice touch screen. i can agree with everyone on not being able to see the keyboard and hotas could be a problem. :noexpression:

Su-27 Flanker 1995 Super EF2000 1997 Jane's F/A-18 1999

i dunno.. i think id rather keep my track ir 5 and buy a nice touch screen. i can agree with everyone on not being able to see the keyboard and hotas could be a problem. :noexpression:

If you actually need to see your HOTAS, you have much bigger issues. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I've gone back and forth as well... but track IR does suck compared to 1:1 tracking, and hurts my neck if I use it to long.

The 5 projector setup I had is nice and great immersion, but you still know that you are on the ground in a simulator... Last night playing with the heli demo, I actually felt like I was in the seat hovering above tree's. It was the most in the game experience I have had yet in simulation.

You can check out my seat setup in other threads, but my keyboard sets low right on the side of the seat and I can see it no problem looking down through the rift. Also, I can see all of my throttle switches etc...

Edited by Flim

Not seeing the keyboard is 100% fixable. I posted this earlier but people keep bringing the keyboard thing up, so here it is again with emphasis :)

A keyboard screen overlay is already a feature of VorpX, it could just as easily be made a feature in an officially supported version of DCS.

In DCS the keyboard is used for housekeeping items, things that aren't already on the HOTAS. This feature lets you type keyboard inputs using your head. In fact if it was officially implemented by ED they could render the keyboard to appear on your lap in the cockpit, or simply down out of the way of all MFDs.

Problem solved, now let's go back to filling this thread with posts about why ED should be implementing this tech ASAP!

Just played the rift helicopter demo...hooked up my hydra and flew around for an hour in some crappy demo I would have never tried without the rift. The cockpit was perfect 3d and had the correct zoom. Also, the hydra allows you to lean outside the cockpit while hovering, so cool ! This really shows how Huey flying will be in the near future. I wish Ed could give a little love to the rift! Lol

Nice writeup Film, I must say I was surprised that you went away from the amazing cube setup, now I was very jealous of that. Although I'm very very happy that the Rift, and even the low res Rift seems to be living upto my expectations.

One question though, Hydra? May I ask what that is.

I can't wait to try this in my Huey.

The commercial version cannot come quick enough.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I'm still in doubt about a rift version in the near/medium future that is usable for serious flight simulation where you have to read gauges, mfds, huds,... . As others (e.g. Mnemonic) already pointed out you need for that big fov ( ~90 degrees) at least a 2K resolution per eye. For the rift design it means you need a 5.5 - 7 inch 4K display.

When do you think such displays are available?

Probably an HMD design with 2x 2K displays (and some mirrors or other optics) are more likely in the near/medium future for achieving the needed resolution. What do you think?

No doubt a 4k display will be the ultimate goal, but initially that will not happen. I'm guessing Oculus will come up with away to get rid of screen door, up the resolution much as possible while using a mid range system, and add positional tracking. Right now you can use the Razor hydra for positional tracking, but strapping a controller to your back will not work forever. If ED were to integrate the rift to the A-10a module with stero 3d, head tracking/hydra, and adjust the cockpit FOV/pilot positioning ( where it looks correct from the seat instead of the 2d viewpoint...), it would be totally usable right now. You could lean forward to view detailed items while leaning back would give a life like experience. As resolution increases then you will see more and more detail without having to lean forward. As it stand now, it will work, but not without ED specifically jumping into the code and making it happen. I doubt that Vorpx or any other driver will work to a standard we need... it will have to come from ED specifically geared towards the rift, and when that happens people will be blown away.

I think when this kind of technology takes off, it will definitely happen. I can't imagine anything more awesome than 360°, 3D, 6DOF, HD head tracking with a friend in the same Huey as the co-pilot :D

Screw the keyboard. That's why we have a HOTAS and fully clickable cockpits. It's pretty easy to find a mouse with your eyes closed... Try it, you'll be surprised.

• Like 1

I'll be at GamesCom and test the HD prototype and will keep you posted. Will be very interesting to see what Oculus shows us next...

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I would kill for a high resolution oculus rift in dcs world. This will be the future of simming. First I wanted to go for triple monitors, but I am waiting for these VR thingies to mature enough and will definitely get one somewhere down the line,. Must have for immersion!

I think when this kind of technology takes off, it will definitely happen. I can't imagine anything more awesome than 360°, 3D, 6DOF, HD head tracking with a friend in the same Huey as the co-pilot :D

Screw the keyboard. That's why we have a HOTAS and fully clickable cockpits. It's pretty easy to find a mouse with your eyes closed... Try it, you'll be surprised.

Well, to be fair, so is a keyboard. Being able to hit the right keys while blindfolded, however, may be a challenge for some.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Warthunder is the first flight simulation game to natively support Oculus Rift

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/47625-oculus-rift-in-war-thunder/

I've heard that Rift users playing WT already got tired of realistic head movements (it's the movement range that gets annoying i guess) and have asked devs to make movements scalable.

I agree with that, i would prefer scalable pitch and yaw, controllable zoom and snapviews too. That would help to make it more comfortable and compensate for the less-than-desired resolution.

The lack of flexibility in settings was the biggest trackir drawback for me, don't want to see that again.

It's a side-by-side image if it uses this view as the oculus it is in 3d and it has depth. Well I do not know how the guy did it but if it is done to nomto certainly will go to A-10th

I tested it on video to let oculus and it's really 3d depth.

It's a side-by-side image if it uses this view as the oculus it is in 3d and it has depth. Well I do not know how the guy did it but if it is done to nomto certainly will go to A-10th

I tested it on video to let oculus and it's really 3d depth.

Wonder how he did it. Its currently possible to offset the camera angle with LUA edits but not the eye position. He might have created a passable 3D effect with a small angle offset but it isn't proper 3D.

Anybody know this guy?

WOW! I have to try this when I get back home.

System:

Windows 10 | i7-7700K @ 4.5 Ghz | 32GB of RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080, 3440x1440 | DELL Ultrawide U3415W | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 and 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | TM Warthog Hotas | SLAW F-16 Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive PRO VR

+ High fidelity F/A-18C simpit :)