Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really impressed as I wasn't expecting a 1080p version at E3. Sounds like its made a huge difference and the not so suttle hint that Sony will be supporting it for the PS4 is Amazing.

I truely believe we might just see a good VR headset in my lifetime. I just hope and pray that Ed are taking note, and will also support it. The rift is built with A sim like DCS in mind. It would be perfect for it.

There's only one real major issue.

Which is how painful the wait is gonna be for the consumer version.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

................There's only one real major issue....................

And the small matter of not being able to see the keyboard/joystick setup. Kinda crucial with something as complex as a DCS title. Great for RoF though :)

Edited by bilbosmeggins

There's only one real major issue.

Make that 2 - propensity for sea-sickness after 5 minutes if Wingman's (star citizen) experience is anything to go by :megalol:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Make that 2 - propensity for sea-sickness after 5 minutes if Wingman's (star citizen) experience is anything to go by :megalol:

That is an individual thing. I have not noticed any motion sickness with even fast movement. It can be disorienting but not enough to cause nausea in my case.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

And the small matter of not being able to see the keyboard/joystick setup. Kinda crucial with something as complex as a DCS title. Great for RoF though :)

I don't remember the last time I've touched my keyboard or have been forced to look at something else than my screen/cockpit.

There might problem with semi-arcade aircrafts like those in FC3, but with the A10C, a full clickable cockpit and the hotas, it's all you need.

I feel like this is going to be one heck of a sham. I dunno... just kinda feel like something is off with this, I think it might be over hyped and people will be disappointed. I would love to be wrong tho.

Yep you're wrong. I have tried it for 15 min tonight (just received my kit) and I'm stunned (and motion sick as shit :megalol:).

The resolution is already enough for a proper experience in DCS IMO. I was quite surprise with the image knowing the crappy resolution.

I understand that ED hasn't really made any Oculus plans yet. But does anyone know of any other flight sim companies that have made a pledge to support it? I just have to get my hands on one, but don't want to be stuck in a FPS for all eternity.

Someone's built FSX support for the rift already.

Edited by tjhowse
Typo

There is support hacked together with Vireio and FaceTrackNoIR for FSX, War Thunder supports it, also there is already a beta of a user-made plugin for X-Plane. And perhaps VorpX will work fine with DCS (if the HUD is made to work correctly with stereoscopy, if not, there is always the inferior but more compatible Z-Buffer approach).

Got my shipping e-Mail last night, UPS says I'm going to receive my Rift on monday! :D

Getting native support for DCS is a must have. There are plenty of things where the keyboard doesn't matter as much. Imagine being the door gunner on the Huey in MP while wearing the rift. Hell yeah...

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

...............................but with the A10C, a full clickable cockpit and the hotas, it's all you need.

And the ability to read braille and have a memory like an elephant. I have the Warthog Hotas, but honestly don't think I could locate and manipulate every switch, dial and rotary blind-folded. Well I could, but not necessarily the correct ones :dunno:

I feel like this is going to be one heck of a sham. I dunno... just kinda feel like something is off with this, I think it might be over hyped and people will be disappointed. I would love to be wrong tho.

Unless Oculus will use damn super awesome screen in consumer model.

I don't like the hype too, it is pretty good device on VR market that's I agree. But all this hype can play a bad joke with Oculus guys the moment they release consumer version, if it is not flawless, like every gamer now seems to expect. Consumer market is too spoiled with all the Full HD and Retina glory to justify pixelated imagery in the Rift.

And I don't think that they solved all the image quality issues with HD model demoed on E3. After all it is 960 pixels horizontally stretched through your entire field of view, not that big leap from 640 pixels they have in Dev Kit. Only 1.5 times more, where in DK you see 2 discrete pixels, in HD you see 3.

Yep you're wrong. I have tried it for 15 min tonight (just received my kit) and I'm stunned (and motion sick as shit :megalol:).

The resolution is already enough for a proper experience in DCS IMO. I was quite surprise with the image knowing the crappy resolution.

The feeling will go away, you will soon understand that resolution in Rift DK is very very far to be called useful in DCS. Yes you feel immersed, but you have so many disadvantages in situational awareness than with regular Full HD monitor + TrackIR. You officially blind pilot in Rift, you cannot read gauges, and I'm not talking about finding the targets. Very immersed pilot, but blind.

And motion sickness is intense yep...

Everyone who tries one is absolutely blown away by the thing, even the hardest of skeptics.

First impression is really powerful, especially if you use Rift Coaster to demo. But if you try to use it for practical flight simming you will see disadvantages and problems soon.

Edited by Mnemonic

The feeling will go away, you will soon understand that resolution in Rift DK is very very far to be called useful in DCS. Yes you feel immersed, but you have so many disadvantages in situational awareness than with regular Full HD monitor + TrackIR. You officially blind pilot in Rift, you cannot read gauges, and I'm not talking about finding the targets. Very immersed pilot, but blind.

And motion sickness is intense yep...

I have to disagree. I looked at it with the gauge reading in mind and I felt it was sufficient. With the occulus you will be much closer to the instruments panel than you are with a monitor. Well maybe you won't be able to see the smallest digits but when you know your aircraft you just need to see the arrow to know the reading. I actually can't read them on my monitor with the FOV i use to fly normally and it is hardly an issue.

Seeing other planes is another issue but it is pretty hard to see them on a monitor as well. Padlock compensate for that. DCS could also make other planes at least one pixel big as soon as they are at a distance where you would see them in real life. That would do the trick.

.....Well maybe you won't be able to see the smallest.....

That right there is not good enough IMHO. If certain aspects/visuals in-cockpit are unreadable then what's the point?

Are there plans to release a HD version?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

If you set up the in-game FOV close to the FOV of the Rift, how it should be, it is impossible to use CDU, and HUD in A-10, not a single digit or character is readable. You kinda can guess where variometer arrow point at. I posted pictures few pages before. http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1764950&postcount=374

Edited by Mnemonic

If O.R. comes to FullHD, I might get it into consideration. But, as Mnemonic has well demonstrated in his printscreens and photos, it's presently not suitable for DCS.

I'm looking forward the 1080p version... But I'll not pave the way in buying it $$$ without tests and advises first.

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Oculus Rift prototype now at 1080p

The O.R. prototype is now running at 1080p...

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/oculus-at-e3-2013/

Assuming the consumer O.R. will be at that resolution ( 960 x 1080 portrait for each eye), will that be enough for DCS?

Windows 10 | i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | 8GB RAM | ASRock P67 Extreme4 | Seasonic X-Series 650W PSU | Oculus Rift DK2 | CH Fighterstick, Throttle & Pedals

Assuming the consumer O.R. will be at that resolution ( 960 x 1080 portrait for each eye), will that be enough for DCS?

Considering very big FOV, my opinion - it will be not enough. Give it 4 times more pixels (4k panel for both eyes, 2k per eye), and it will be great to use, and somehow comparable to monitor experience in terms of image clarity, if they will also eliminate terrible ghosting.

Edited by Mnemonic

Give it 4 times more pixels (4k panel for both eyes, 2k per eye), and it will be great to use, and somehow comparable to monitor experience in terms of image clarity

Then we'd better hope the Apple vs Samsung mobile phone 'arms race' continues to create increasingly ridiculous high res screens (for mobiles) that we get to enjoy the benefits of ;)

Windows 10 | i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | 8GB RAM | ASRock P67 Extreme4 | Seasonic X-Series 650W PSU | Oculus Rift DK2 | CH Fighterstick, Throttle & Pedals

Considering very big FOV, my opinion - it will be not enough. Give it 4 times more pixels (4k panel for both eyes, 2k per eye), and it will be great to use, and somehow comparable to monitor experience in terms of image clarity, if they will also eliminate terrible ghosting.

This is not a relevant observation. The pixel density is more than 2 time greater in the center. The 2 sides of the screen overlap and the image is distorted so you get more detail in the center.

I will try hawken this afternoon. it should give me a better view since there are gauge in the cockpit (I don't think they are operational but it should do).

And the ability to read braille and have a memory like an elephant. I have the Warthog Hotas, but honestly don't think I could locate and manipulate every switch, dial and rotary blind-folded. Well I could, but not necessarily the correct ones :dunno:

I've learned them all long ago.. anyway I believe that locate and operate the most important ones (80% of them) doesn't require more than a week.

Btw when you point it, you can have the tooltip telling you what's that button is for, that surely helps.

You can also configure the clickable cross (the one you usually move with the mouse) to bind to the center of your view (permanently or by toggling), this is especially usefull with the rift because then you don't have to use your mouse but you can look (in the real meaning of the word) the switch to click and just press a button on your hotas to click it, so you can forget about your mouse as well.

There's also the possibility to use VAC (voice activation) that works quite well with DCS, for those commands that doesn't require an immediate intervention.

The possibilities are endless, we just need the developers to add the native support now.

NOTE: the consumer version will be 1080p, the discussion about the current resolution are irrelevant, we're asking to add the support today because that's what the developer kit is about, we can't wait for the product to hits the store, we need to move like anyone else, so we have time to tweak it. Especially considering that adding the support to the Oculus Rift requires a very minor effort (we're talking about ten working hours, not to subtract the resources from the other most important features the developers are working on currently).

Edited by npole

[quote=npole;1787330............. anyway I believe that locate and operate the most important ones (80% of them) doesn't require more than a week.

Btw when you point it, you can have the tooltip telling you what's that button is for, that surely helps.I've learned them all long ago.. anyway I believe that locate and operate the most important ones (80% of them) doesn't require more than a week.

Btw when you point it, you can have the tooltip telling you what's that button is for, that surely helps.

You can also configure the clickable cross (the one you usually move with the mouse) to bind to the center of your view (permanently or by toggling), this is especially usefull with the rift because then you don't have to use your mouse but you can look (in the real meaning of the word) the switch to click and just press a button on your hotas to click it, so you can forget about your mouse as well.

There's also the possibility to use VAC (voice activation) that works quite well with DCS, for those commands that doesn't require an immediate intervention...............[/i]

Alternatively, there is the lo-tech option, which quite appeals to my neanderthal-like brain........... A chin strap that opens a little flap on the underside of the Rift when you open your mouth. A quick peek down at the keyboard/HOTAS, shut your cake-hole and you're good to go :music_whistling:

PS: And it doesn't cost any system resources ;)

Edited by bilbosmeggins

If you set up the in-game FOV close to the FOV of the Rift, how it should be, it is impossible to use CDU, and HUD in A-10, not a single digit or character is readable. You kinda can guess where variometer arrow point at. I posted pictures few pages before. http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1764950&postcount=374

Apparently I can't play hawken with rift but I watch that video with the rift on my head. It shows pretty well how it looks (set on 720 p). Very sufficent for me. Of course you can't see the small digits but I don't need them.

Edited by Pnume