Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

It is me or are the heat effects disabled when using the Oculus?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

joebloggs might be right. It could be that Nevada and DCS 2.0 are highly tuned to deliver ONLY 60fps or in very difficult scenes a lower target than even that. My testing seems to be showing that any scene with more than a dozen LOD0 terrain objects just can't render fast enough ever.

I don't think VR SLI is going to solve this. I doubt even raw clockspeed will be enough in the short term. I think mking VR work with Nevada will require changes to the DCS 2.0 renderer and/or the assets which seems unlikely ... in the short term.

I think encouraging ED to make an updated Caucasus map VR friendly is an approach we should take.

I'm just wondering if it makes a difference in DCS now or if it's somehow switched off.

It seems to make a visual difference to me using the built-in techniques. It isn't that taxing because it is other stuff that is doing the damage.

cdvMrK9.jpg

===

i7 3820@3.6Mhz 16GB | GTX780 3GB (very similar to a 970)

Everything set on extreme low settings

Other custom "extreme" low settings via lua edits to

- config\graphics.lua

- config\terrain\terrainoptions41.lua

- config\terrain\low.lua

Added information for DE

Edited by vicx
add image

I thought ED guys were testing this...? Obviously they knew there were issues. In my opinion at this point, if you are not developing for VR (specifically) not just hoping it will work on the side, then you are way behind. That is where gaming is going, no one will want to play 2d in the next few years. I like the idea of making a map for VR, that would be a great place to start...

Edited by Flim

Quick question guys..in DCS 2.0 Alpha is there a way to move the radio dialog box lower the the top right....I find it hard to read up there and I've been trying to memorize all the commands to no avail.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Quick question guys..in DCS 2.0 Alpha is there a way to move the radio dialog box lower the the top right....I find it hard to read up there and I've been trying to memorize all the commands to no avail.

There's a radio mod posted a few pages back. Not sure if it works in 2.0. It did in 1.5. You could test and see. Allows you to click the radio commands and change the size and position.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

There's a radio mod posted a few pages back. Not sure if it works in 2.0. It did in 1.5. You could test and see. Allows you to click the radio commands and change the size and position.

Will check it out....was trying to do a mid-air refueling over the weekend and was able o contact the tanker, but then couldn't get pre-contact radio message to do it.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

I am not so sure a map made for VR would do much if the engine is having issues with specific things like being pointed out.

For example, up close on an object, there is nothing in that object that should suggest it should drop to 50 from anything well above that.

Why not? Obviously you wouldn't add these objects to a VR map if they were causing a problem. If you were making a VR map from scratch it would be up to you what you added. Even making a fairly plain map, if that's what was required for VR would be good. This would allowed you to add more ai without getting the dread judder and it would be great for VR.

The NTTR map was never designed for VR, the Devs just added VR to DCS because it came along. I think they have done a great job at introducing it to DCS, but now it's upto a map maker or ED themselves, to make a map that works well with VR.

I'm sure most people with a VR headset would agree with me on this.

The reality is VR. If developers don't take ownership of this fact, they will be left to rust. VR isn't going to take over tomorrow, but in the years to come, it will be the way games are enjoyed.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Not directly rift related but just sharing the news that the HTC PR machine has dropped the ball. No vive this year. It's now slated for release in April 2016.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Not directly rift related but just sharing the news that the HTC PR machine has dropped the ball. No vive this year. It's now slated for release in April 2016.

http://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-consumer-version-slated-for-april-2016/

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

In hoping for the games line up and preorder to be announced at GDC in early January with shipping in March.

Why not? Obviously you wouldn't add these objects to a VR map if they were causing a problem. If you were making a VR map from scratch it would be up to you what you added. Even making a fairly plain map, if that's what was required for VR would be good. This would allowed you to add more ai without getting the dread judder and it would be great for VR.

The NTTR map was never designed for VR, the Devs just added VR to DCS because it came along. I think they have done a great job at introducing it to DCS, but now it's upto a map maker or ED themselves, to make a map that works well with VR.

I'm sure most people with a VR headset would agree with me on this.

I certainly agree that a map that works nicely with VR is what we want. Just saying that it might be easier for them to fix the assets so that we can all play on the existing maps. Do they know why some assets are having issues? Who is to say they can create a new map with new assets and not have the problem and would that be faster than just fixing the current assets that they need to?

I am with you also that it would be good if other people could create maps but they seem to not want to go that way yet and with only an additional map added in something like a decade I dont see them running to do it just for VR at the moment.

With you in spirit though :)

oculus keeps saying Q1-2016 but you'd think that would have stated a launch date by now. Makes me nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus would have definitely countered Vive this year with their preorder announcement, but now that Vive has been delayed there is no longer any pressure on Oculus to do so. That said, I don't see the Rift being delayed as they've had consumer headsets coming off their assembly lines for sometime. They only pressure for Oculus to announce preorders this year is to take advantage of peoples Christmas spending fund.

My guess is, unless there are problems with the headsets currently coming off the assembly lines, we should see the Rift on sale early in the first quarter, rather than later in the first quarter.

Oculus would have definitely countered Vive this year with their preorder announcement, but now that Vive has been delayed there is no longer any pressure on Oculus to do so. That said, I don't see the Rift being delayed as they've had consumer headsets coming off their assembly lines for sometime. They only pressure for Oculus to announce preorders this year is to take advantage of peoples Christmas spending fund.

My guess is, unless there are problems with the headsets currently coming off the assembly lines, we should see the Rift on sale early in the first quarter, rather than later in the first quarter.

Yeah, I guess that it's not having seen a pre-order announcement yet that makes me nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to think you're right, but unless you have links to Oculus themselves there is nothing out there to suggest it will be earlier. I can't see how they would announce pre-orders and then start shipping a month later. I could be wrong, but it would be the first time I have seen this happen.

I would like to think you're right, but unless you have links to Oculus themselves there is nothing out there to suggest it will be earlier. I can't see how they would announce pre-orders and then start shipping a month later. I could be wrong, but it would be the first time I have seen this happen.

Apple do this all the time and I have read that oculus would like to take that approach. Again, it's speculation and just what I've read on the internet so take that for what it's worth.

Apple do this all the time and I have read that oculus would like to take that approach. Again, it's speculation and just what I've read on the internet so take that for what it's worth.

Well this would be a first for Oculus, because with their track record they are usually late rather then early. I just wish they would release the next Runtime, which is 1.0, I think. Once they do this, it will be the end of compatibility issues if devs are willing to update their games. Hopefully games like Elite Dangerous and DCS will all work together instead of compatibility issues. I heard most devs are waiting for the next runtime, because this is the one that will be compatible with the CV1 Rift.

HTC just suggested that Vive preorders will start in Feb with the release in Apr.

There are no set timelines between preorders, and shipping dates. Since Rifts are currently on the assembly lines, and if things are going well, Oculus could easily announce preorders in late Dec, early Jan, and ship in Feb. Its all speculation, there is nothing out there to suggest it will, or won't happen.

Oculus has announced that Eve Valkyrie will be bundled with the Rift Preorder. Palmer Luckey also suggested there could more major titles bundled with the Rift.

Yeah, it's going to be well worth the price. I think the the Vive is going to be the rich kids toy and no better then the Rift.

Yeah, it's going to be well worth the price. I think the the Vive is going to be the rich kids toy and no better then the Rift.

I agree, both products should be very good, while the Rift with inputs should be cheaper than the Vive, for the reasons that I have stated in previous posts. As primarily a flight simmer, I'll also have the even cheaper option of buying the Rift without the VR inputs I won't require. That said, Price isn't the main factor for me, so I will buy the product that has the better headset specs.

Even if I have to wait an extra month or two for the Vive unit, it won't be that much of a problem, as I will probably have to wait for a new video card to run sims in VR. I'm not going to upgrade my 580 to the 980, but wait for the latest Nvidia/AMD video cards due out next year. BUT I'm not so sure I'll have the patience to wait, especially if those new video cards require a new type of slot/motherboard.

Facebook's CEO Mark Zuckerberg has been ordered to depose in an intellectual property dispute between Oculus and ZeniMax Media, as he has "unique knowledge" based on his decision to buy the wearable virtual reality technology company and its valuation.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3013216/enterprise-applications/facebooks-zuckerberg-ordered-to-testify-over-oculus-purchase.html

A Magistrate Judge issued the order. From there it still needs to go to the District Court Judge for their adoption, if any, or ruling. I don't think he'll depose, and at best, ZeniMax should hope for some type of settlement.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Interesting video review of the HTC Vive, and CV1. If your a Vive fanboy you may not want to watch. To be fair he wasn't able to test the Vive wands, as they were having problems setting them up.

Apparently Vive, and possibly Oculus are having problems with controller batteries, when they are full, and low, with only a good thirty minute window in between.

He noticed just a little screen door with the Vive, and thought overall the display was very good, but was concerned with the low FOV, and front heavy feeling of the headset.

He said he was so blown away by the Rift, he forgot to look for screendoor etc, but did say the FOV was much better. Part of it may because he was using the Touch inputs, while the Vive wands were unavailable.

All this really doesn't mean anything as Vive will be going thru major headset/input ergonomic improvements before release, as well as a possible major tech breakthrough. I also don't think it was the CV1 he was testing. It was more likely the latest prototype that the CV1 will be based on but doesn't include, but doesn't include the latest improvements. I doubt there are any CV1's out yet, as Oculus has just been doing internal testing of the CV1's currently coming off their assembly lines.