Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

How to center view

hellas

i tried after a long time again dcs in my oculus rift dk2

and the new version 1.5.2 is much more better

but i have a big problem

i cannot center the view - and when i start dsc in the rift i look backwards :cry:

so simple question - how can i center my view ?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
hellas

i tried after a long time again dcs in my oculus rift dk2

and the new version 1.5.2 is much more better

but i have a big problem

i cannot center the view - and when i start dsc in the rift i look backwards :cry:

so simple question - how can i center my view ?

"5" key on your numpad on the keyboard.

Huh...interesting. Just as a frame of reference, I don't get sick on boats while fishing. I don't get sick flying NOE in a packed C130/141 sucking in jet fuel fumes. Never got sick doing the same in Chinooks, Blackhawks etc. And of course, never get sick while riding/reading in cars.

*BUT* with Rift, if the frame rate is below 75FPS, I get sick in a matter of minutes. 75 or above, I can fly A10's/Huey's for an hour or more with no issue.

How anyone can with Rift with 30FPS is beyond me. I'd also say we're looking at different counters.

But, different things tend to get people sick, so maybe there's something to "I never get sick in VR no matter how laggy it gets" It's just beyond me based on my background and my experience with motion sickness.

March/April can't come fast enough!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Screen resolution is irrelevant for comparisons as well. You get one resolution with Many of us have been using this regularly for more than a year, the collective knowledge just here on this forum is likely encyclopedic. I've told newbs this many times that when you first get a VR device and begin using it, you will need some time to adjust to it. Once that passes, you'll not even think about it.

you sir, are my hero!

keep the VR topics flowing!!

also another point i want to bring up in terms of VR and DCS, is CONTENT!!

just recently, DCS release campaigns for A10C, F15, Ka50...

i think a VR oriented campaign is needed!

a campaign that would be co-op oriented, and focus on either the Su25T or FC3 modules.

new oculus owners will look for good rift experiences.. DCS is great, menu's in the works..

but once they start flying, then what? not everyone (newbiess) will get modules off the bat. Su25T already free for them, why not have a quality campaign dlc for su25t/fc3 as a choice to suppliment content in their oculus/DCS experience!

but im happy to know eagle dynamics is working on a functional menu/cockpit interaction for the VR experience!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

comments about cooperative play in VR by epic games studios dev..

"VR can be isolating without it, and he says that having a shared space and community within VR instantly makes an experience more compelling."

http://www.roadtovr.com/epic-games-nick-whiting-designing-bullet-train-interaction-fidelity/

so again, vr menus, co-op content will further the DCS VR experience!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

• ED Team

*BUT* with Rift, if the frame rate is below 75FPS, I get sick in a matter of minutes. 75 or above, I can fly A10's/Huey's for an hour or more with no issue.

How anyone can with Rift with 30FPS is beyond me. I'd also say we're looking at different counters.

Well, my only experience is with the DK2, and though I don't get motion sick with fps less than 75, the judder and "jerkiness" is extremely annoying, and it kind of is a strain on the eyes as well. And you could get very easily motion sick from it, obviously.

But when it's smooth, which it basically have to be to be able to enjoy VR, it's not an issue whatsoever, and it probably isn't going to be an issue for most people. :)

I've had the DK2 since the dev kits shipped, and I have never had any issues whatsoever. People get motion sick for various reasons, but people also get sick just by riding a car and not beeing able to see the road... It will be an issue for some people, but for most people it will not be an issue.

I'm thinking most people will not tolerate it given the amount of topics on the Internet there is about it. I've shown the DK2 to many friends and they have all left feeling sick or been sick after playing First Person shooters. I do hope the 90Hz is the sickness cure, but I'm very doubtful because they said the same thing about 75Hz.

But for games, such as where you move around using your own body, motion sickness would barely be an issue as long as you dont get any judders etc. That's my take on it anyway. I can't wait for these things to be released! :)

This is a good point. There are two causes of disorientation in essence. There is the first cause related to a user who would is susceptible to motion sickness in general. The second is "VR Induced Disorientation". What causes that most acutely is judder or when the frame rates go below the HMD's refresh rate. That gives rise mental dissonance from the mixed signals from the inner ear and eyes resulting in queasiness.

While some users can get used to it and grow their "VR Legs", others may not be able to. Doing the best to run VR applications on a high end system should help to prevent judder/ghosting/flickers/frame skips, which would reduce the chances for VR disorientation.

I personally feel the issue is overblown. Most folks who have experienced it report it goes away after they get used to VR gaming.

DCS + Oculus = WOWOWOW for me. Racing is a blast as well. For flying and driving, VR is a natural fit.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I don't know about others, but for me, it's not psychosomatic. That's the reason why I posted my background. And Derek is correct, there is some adjustment you have to go through, but quite frankly, you get over that quickly. Whatever adjustment your brain needs, it quickly gets shadowed byt the sheer awesomeness of VR. Like I said, there is *nothing* like tracking a SAM by looking over your shoulder and down while flying *and* maintaining the orientation because it's natural. You simply *cannot* do that with TrackIR's of the world.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• ED Team
I'm thinking most people will not tolerate it given the amount of topics on the Internet there is about it. I've shown the DK2 to many friends and they have all left feeling sick or been sick after playing First Person shooters. I do hope the 90Hz is the sickness cure, but I'm very doubtful because they said the same thing about 75Hz.

I've had probably 15 people tried my DK 2 here, and the only time someone got a little motion sickness was either because of judders, an insane theme park ride (Cyberspace is awesome) or that they were playing an FPS game for the first time using VR, which takes some getting used to (IMO at least).

...Whatever adjustment your brain needs, it quickly gets shadowed byt the sheer awesomeness of VR. Like I said, there is *nothing* like tracking a SAM by looking over your shoulder and down while flying *and* maintaining the orientation because it's natural. You simply *cannot* do that with TrackIR's of the world.

QFT :thumbup:

@Glowing Amraam - GREAT videos! :clap:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

I don't know about others, but for me, it's not psychosomatic. That's the reason why I posted my background. And Derek is correct, there is some adjustment you have to go through, but quite frankly, you get over that quickly. Whatever adjustment your brain needs, it quickly gets shadowed byt the sheer awesomeness of VR. Like I said, there is *nothing* like tracking a SAM by looking over your shoulder and down while flying *and* maintaining the orientation because it's natural. You simply *cannot* do that with TrackIR's of the world.

Fact nothing compares!

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

I got my KW-908 Jetseat yesterday and I got a few minutes to fly last night. Decided to try my hand at some pinnacle landings.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I've played assetto corsa yesterday with T300 racing wheel and after changing some settings in TM control panel I ended up with only spring force.

It felt really weird, almost like driving blind, it was really hard to figure out what the car was up to...

Can't imagine what it must be like driving an aircraft with 'soggy' stick on a spring :P

(I'm using Logitech G940)

The G940 FFB realy sucks and it's all plastic :-) Test an Thrustmaster Warthog,that ist a Bodnar Wheel against your G920 :-). You can not compare SimRacing with Flight Sim...If you like real Fun,Buy a SimXperience Stage 4 motion Simulator... Can't wait for my CV1 with DCS and AC,iR,PCars and many more ...

Edited by TOYKILLA

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

Hm, I see now that my post probably sounds a bit sarcastic, but I really think that you are missing a lot if you have a spring joystick :)

Warthog is nice and very expensive, however it has a spring which is big NO imho.

And, no offence but talking about toys, SimXperience Stage 4 motion Simulator looks like massage chair gone crazy.

Google '6dof motion platform', that should be much better for CV1.

How well is DCS performing on amd cards in VR?

I've had nVidia cards for years mainly because of more stable drivers, but I'm thinking of getting R9 290 till new GPUs arrive later this year.

Can amd drivers handle 1080p projector, 1080p monitor and DK2 without playing up, or should I stick with nvidia?

Hm, I see now that my post probably sounds a bit sarcastic, but I really think that you are missing a lot if you have a spring joystick :)

Warthog is nice and very expensive, however it has a spring which is big NO imho.

And, no offence but talking about toys, SimXperience Stage 4 motion Simulator looks like massage chair gone crazy.

Google '6dof motion platform', that should be much better for CV1.

What joystick do you use?

The trouble with a 940 for VR is its serious lack of buttons compared to other offerings and it's limited configuration in a pit. Centre mount is all but ruled out because of the large base.

If FFB was on the 'pro' column, there wouldn't be anything else when compared to the other sticks about.

I know what you are saying about the wheel and disabling FFB but flying is quite different imho. Getting the feedback in racing can be important, I use a DD servo wheel and wouldnt want to be without it. There is valuable information sent back.

In flying the only really valuable information I miss is from trimming some aircraft but it's nowhere nearly as big a deal as feeling traction loss in racing.

One must have some type of FFB in racing/driving sims, especially with VR...AND one AbSoLuTeLy MUST have many buttons!!!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Hornet is just one aircraft.

Problem with spring is that it gives you NO feedback information from the sim.

You don't feel the stick stiffen up as you accelerate, you don't get any feedback when you are about to stall, you don't feel anything when your plane gets shot down, wind conditions? forget that, etc...

I could go on, but the point is that springs gives you no feedback :)

It's a real shame that someone convinced hardware manufacturers to stop producing FF joysticks, if they continued progressing (like FF wheels) we could have brushless or direct drive flight sticks by now...

It makes me sad, but I still have working Microsoft Sidewinder FF2 and Logitech G940 to remind me of the good old days :)

I wonder if anyone tried combining two FF wheels to make a flight stick with FF :joystick:?