DCS Enhanced Terrain (Texture Mod)

toby23

I'm working on a 'Low 'n' Slow' version for Helicopter Pilots using source images taken at 1000 ft.

Slow progress but should be able to show some screenshots over the next few days.

My original textures used source images taken at 4000 ft.

The new set will be more generic like the original textures.

Sneak peak at original size attached.

:D great idea :)

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@IvanK yes.

Just create a folder with the texture folders and a shortcut to the vfstexture folder. Then drag and drop, takes 30 seconds. If you do a repair or automatic install via command line, all files will also be replaced. DCS replaces ALL files that aren't stock with every update apart from controller settings, that's why JSGME is a godsend for people who use a lot of mods.

Edited by toby23
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

Im a massive fan of this mod Toby...the complexity of the textures make it look much more real.:)

A request now...could you possibly make a texture set for the high mountain/snowline to complete the full landscape...I know you have it in you Toby:thumbup:

Many thanks and regards in advance;)

I've been working on this but I can't find enough image data.

The scale of the mountain texture is completely different to the ground terrain.

The ground terrain is approx 1.5km2 and I guess the mountains are about 10km2.

I'm planning on manually making a texture tile but that will take some time...

It's on my to do list.

Toby, have you tried experimenting with the High.lua? you can adjust the noise1 values so they fit more to scale correctly on the terrain - changing line 42 to:

noise1PerSquare = 2.5;

makes the scale look far more accurate

default 5.0 - too small, details of your textures are tiny)

Screen_130923_171641.jpg

screenshot studio

altered to 2.5 - everything fits to scale with the rest of the details on the terrain

Screen_130923_171455.jpg

screenshot windows 8

Edited by Mustang

That looks great Mustang.

I so wish I knew what or where that noise file is that adds colour on top of my textures and white glows around airports....

My low and slow textures work so much better with this mystery layer as they're generic.

I tried messing around with the scale but it's one size fits all.

I've got some ideas about how to do this but It will take some time.

Edited by toby23

That looks great Mustang.

I so wish I knew what or where that noise file is that adds colour on top of my textures and white glows around airports....

You might be able to adjust the texture strength to counteract this, again in High.lua:

line 37: noisemax = 0.4 - raise this to around 0.5 or so.

edit: also try changing line 48 to:

Height = 30000.0;

this seems to improve the texture vibrance quite nicely.

Edited by Mustang

Guys, since you ar at it... where do you tweak the light on towns at night?... looks a bit too powerful imho.

Also... do you know which line makes the forest blend better at distance? I use DTAC trees and the are nice but they look too sharp for too long distance. I wish I could make them a bit more... transparent as distance grows but without being turned off.

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

thx, I will try it tomorrow.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

noise1PerSquare = 2.5;

makes the scale look far more accurate

default 5.0 - too small, details of your textures are tiny)

Just tried this with my Low'N'Slow textures and set it to 10.0 to make the details smaller (opposite of what you did) and while it looks great, the texture repeat becomes far too obvious.

Don't use 0.5 numbers or you'll break the texture repeat.

I set it to 7.0 and the Low'N'Slow textures match much better to those of the towns and villages and airports, see below.

Thanks m8.

9JwoQ.jpg

Edited by toby23

You might be able to adjust the texture strength to counteract this, again in High.lua:

line 37: noisemax = 0.4 - raise this to around 0.5 or so.

edit: also try changing line 48 to:

Height = 30000.0;

this seems to improve the texture vibrance quite nicely.

This does this:

STOCK

s97NZ.jpg

EDIT

nRZ7V.jpg

You can see my 123456789 50% grey test card texture. There is no terrain texture.

In the EDIT shot, you can see the noisesmall texture from up high and the ground terrain texture is overlaid with more contrast and even overlaid over the airport texture (which results in a smoother blend) but using a completely different alpha effect.

Unfortunately, while it does look better as it's more detailed from higher up, thanks to the noisesmall being visible, it still doesn't kill the weird colours.

Another great find Mustang.

Keep at it.

Edited by toby23

Guys, since you ar at it... where do you tweak the light on towns at night?... looks a bit too powerful imho.

...\Bazar\vfstextures\Buildings_textures.zip:

town_1_illum.bmp.dds

town_2_illum.bmp.dds

town_3_illum.bmp.dds

and

village_1_illum.bmp.dds

village_2_illum.bmp.dds

village_21_illum.bmp.dds

Thanks Peter, I know the textures but I'm thinking at a lua edit somewhere that modifies their weight like the others have in high.lua

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@IvanK yes.

Just create a folder with the texture folders and a shortcut to the vfstexture folder. Then drag and drop, takes 30 seconds. If you do a repair or automatic install via command line, all files will also be replaced. DCS replaces ALL files that aren't stock with every update apart from controller settings, that's why JSGME is a godsend for people who use a lot of mods.

First off thanks Toby23 for this great mod. I was working with Il2 and satellite imagery for maps to. This is great.

I have JSGME and familiar with it with the Il2 days but having trouble with it. In the game folder it has zipped files and your mod has the dds files. With Jgsme will it replace the file in the zip file? Trying to get it to work with JSGME.

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]