Steam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Steam Specific Issues

ShaZe88

Install a ED Shop Module into the Steam Folder?

Hello,

Is it possible to install a ED Shop Module into the Steam Folder?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No! As said before it can't be activated with a license key from ED. You need to buy it from steam. The other way works! Get key from steam install DCS World from ED website activate modules bought from ED with ED keys and activate modules with Steam key in DCS World...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Can anyone explain to me why after three re-downloads and installs and a number of steam repairs why I can't open DCS World at all through steam?? The game is active on my account, I'm so annoyed as I keep missing events!

No, I can't, but I can point you to my post above... install DCS World from ED website activate modules with the keys acquired by steam, should work... and get updates and modules before they are on steam as a bonus.

Btw. you had running DCS World in steam before, or is it a complete new install? If the later, check directX9c is installed, visualc++, etc.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 3 weeks later...

Questions regarding Steam and retail versions

Hi there!

I finally managed to set up a gaming PC with flight stick. So here I have a retail version of DCS: Black Shark and DCS: A10-C (both on disc).

Now how does this work- I have Steam already installed and am about to download the DCS: World module. Now on the title page it says that keys don't work for Steam.

So in my case (having both those retail versions) I install DCS: World from Steam, then install both DCS: Black Shark and DCS: A10-C from the download here (because I asked about this a while back when I was planning to buy it and I was told that I should always use the download version as it's newer) and they are automatically integrated into my DCS: World module?

Or does it not work together with Steam and I need to download everything from that site? Which is fine as well, I just need to know.

Edited by specialsymbol

Hi there!

I finally managed to set up a gaming PC with flight stick. So here I have a retail version of DCS: Black Shark and DCS: A10-C (both on disc).

Now how does this work- I have Steam already installed and am about to download the DCS: World module. Now on the title page it says that keys don't work for Steam.

So in my case (having both those retail versions) I install DCS: World from Steam, then install both DCS: Black Shark and DCS: A10-C from the download here (because I asked about this a while back when I was planning to buy it and I was told that I should always use the download version as it's newer) and they are automatically integrated into my DCS: World module?

Or does it not work together with Steam and I need to download everything from that site? Which is fine as well, I just need to know.

Buying From the ED Website only works for Non-Steam version

Just download DCS World from the ED Website(non-steam), and then Activate your BS2 and A10c Keys in game.

Steam and Non-Steam both Auto-Update and Non-Steam gets Moduals/Updates first.(steam has to approve)

No Benifits to having the Steam version other than wasted system Resources keeping something you cant really use open.

If you buy Keys from Steam you can Activate them on the Non-Steam Version (this way, if you miss a sale, or ED/Steam has a better sale, you have two options instead of one.)

No Benifits to having the Steam version other than wasted system Resources keeping something you cant really use open.

Steam is really light in the background. The overlay is useful for many people. Steam also allows me to download dcs updates at over 10 megs a second.

If ED manage to get their download speeds sorted out, I'd go back. But I doubt it'll happen.

If ED manage to get their download speeds sorted out, I'd go back. But I doubt it'll happen.

You might want to test again and consider revising that statement.

For myself, and others, the last update downloaded at Steam speeds.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I usually buy on Steam but play the standalone and take the best of both worlds.

Either way, remember that you cannot buy at ED and play on Steam, only the other way around.

I like my machine sleek and light and that's why I play standalone if the game allows it.

Bit

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If that is true, I might switch back. Patch days still worry me.

No promises for the next one, but I was very pleasantly surprised with this last update.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Buying From the ED Website only works for Non-Steam version

Just download DCS World from the ED Website(non-steam), and then Activate your BS2 and A10c Keys in game.

Steam and Non-Steam both Auto-Update and Non-Steam gets Moduals/Updates first.(steam has to approve)

If you buy Keys from Steam you can Activate them on the Non-Steam Version (this way, if you miss a sale, or ED/Steam has a better sale, you have two options instead of one.)

Wrong. You can buy keys from ED store, download installer, and install over the Steam version, works fine.

True enough.

Let's see: Easy communication with friends, overlay in-game, stats-tracking, easy screenshot sharing/uploading, and that doesn't even begin to dig into the non-DCS-related things.

Wrong. You can buy keys from ED store, download installer, and install over the Steam version, works fine.

Just to be clear, modules bought through the ED store cannot be activated in the Steam version.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

True enough.

Let's see: Easy communication with friends, overlay in-game, stats-tracking, easy screenshot sharing/uploading, and that doesn't even begin to dig into the non-DCS-related things.

Not anymore, steam stopped doing key merges, if you buy from EDs website you cannot use them in Steam, existing customers weren't affected, if I remember right.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Not anymore, steam stopped doing key merges, if you buy from EDs website you cannot use them in Steam, existing customers weren't affected, if I remember right.

Except you can. Mind you, you have to re-download the aircraft from the store with each update, but it can be done without any other drawbacks, and with how slow ED is at getting up anything, it shouldn't be that big an issue.

7 June 2014

Dear all,

We learned from Valve/Steam that they will be unable to continue merging DCS keys purchased outside of the Steam Store. As such and as of today, please note that any keys purchased outside of the Steam Store can no longer be used to activate DCS products on Steam.

We will be working with Steam to merge all keys purchased prior to today. We can make no promises as to when or if this will happen though… that is out of our hands.

Please note though that keys purchased on the Steam store will work on DCS World downloaded from the DCS Store.

Thanks

I think Steam users would be interested to know how you got those modules working with the Steam version.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

I think Steam users would be interested to know how you got those modules working with the Steam version.

1.) Purchase a module from the ED Store

2.) Download the Module's installer from the ED Store

3.) Make sure DCS is up-to-date with whatever silly beta version from Steam

4.) Once you're at the right V#, install your module into the DCSW main directory on Steam

5.) Once installed, navigate to that Aircraft's "Bin" folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircrafts\F-86\bin for the Sabre as an example.)

6.) Run aircraftname_protect.exe as an administrator.

7.) Select "Activate or Deactivate" a product.

8.) Insert key and activate

9.) Play the game you paid for, how you wanted to.

Easy-peasy.

Sidenote: With every update to DCS, you'll have to repeat the process for each aircraft you've purchased off the store. Sucks, but worth it IMO to just never touch DCS's slow updater.

Edited by IvanTehFennec

1.) Purchase a module from the ED Store

2.) Download the Module's installer from the ED Store

3.) Make sure DCS is up-to-date with whatever silly beta version from Steam

4.) Once you're at the right V#, install your module into the DCSW main directory on Steam

5.) Once installed, navigate to that Aircraft's "Bin" folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircrafts\F-86\bin for the Sabre as an example.)

6.) Run aircraftname_protect.exe as an administrator.

7.) Select "Activate or Deactivate" a product.

8.) Insert key and activate

9.) Play the game you paid for, how you wanted to.

Easy-peasy.

Sidenote: With every update to DCS, you'll have to repeat the process for each aircraft you've purchased off the store. Sucks, but worth it IMO to just never touch DCS's slow updater.

Worked first time mate, thank you very much.

Only thing is, will the activation limit not be reached for the module very quickly this way?

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

Worked first time mate, thank you very much.

Only thing is, will the activation limit not be reached for the module very quickly this way?

Nope! One of the options when you activate is to use a pre-existing activation. At the bottom left, where you put your key in, should be "I already have an Activation Key". Press that, press yes, and it's ready to go.

You know, I have never even seen that option before, great find mate :)

As Ivan has stated, I just pointed the install directory to my steam/dcs install folder as below. It asked for a directory folder for the programme list which I called DCS and that was it.

Path I used was.

U:\Steam\SteamApps\common\DCSWorld

As long as it is your main DCS root folder it will work.. :)

Thanks again Ivan.

EDIT

Ivan, is there any training missions for the F86 in your install, or does it not come with any?

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

Except they 100% can. I fly my Sabre and Dora (ED Store Vers) on my Steam-version DCS, and update and everything. They work in multiplayer just fine.

Stop,

This method is NOT endorsed for several reasons;

The Main one being; Several Files that Steam Updates, and their updater process aren't touched by steam unless listed under your DLC List.

ie Modules installed from ED's installer into Steam's will not update correctly/completely.

Unless something has changed, I would expect an note from c0ff or an ED Team member stating this method can me used..

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

You know, I have never even seen that option before, great find mate :)

As Ivan has stated, I just pointed the install directory to my steam/dcs install folder as below. It asked for a directory folder for the programme list which I called DCS and that was it.

Path I used was.

U:\Steam\SteamApps\common\DCSWorld

As long as it is your main DCS root folder it will work.. :)

Thanks again Ivan.

EDIT

Ivan, is there any training missions for the F86 in your install, or does it not come with any?

I actually don't have an entry in the training area for either the Dora or F-86.

In this instance, I'd say running the ED Updater, then re-activating any steam-modules will do the trick, but I'm reluctant to try.

I'll goof around with it to make it work.

Edited by IvanTehFennec