1:500000 printable DCS/FC2.0 Tactical Chart (WIP)

igormk

So far (you can see it on the page 1 of the thread) I used both (metric/imperial). Anyway this is present only on mountain peaks and airport elevations, so I think it is not overloading the map in any way.

It is still not to late to change it, but have in mind that in LOFC2 we have aircraft using metric and others imperial system. It will be the same with DCS Ka-50 and A-10C (I suppose). I know that it is easy to convert the units from one to another, but sometimes 5+7 is difficult to calculate when you are airborne and dealing with threats, navigation and aircraft systems.

So, do you want it that way (both), or would you prefer only metric (or imperial)?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal preference would be both, since I use metric IRL but often fly "imperial" aircraft in the simulator.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I think it is good as it is. Both will not overload the map by any means, the scale is big enough.

Regards.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

Realy?

In the ABRIS exists the "Info"-cursor under MAP/INFO-submode.

- You have the whole map with terrain-colors, which shows you the terrain-peaks

- you have the exact coordinates of the cursor

- you have the exact altitude/hight of the cursor-position in meter-steps

- but you dont have the grids

By the way

- i would prefer to show the altitudes in meters OR in feets. There is no need for showing the altitudes in meters AND in feets. Everyone knows the quick calculation from feet to meter or vice versa. Standardmeasurement of hights is feet. But maybe here its different because we are more or less in the russian area.

- The biggest issues i have with the printable map is

1.) the resolution: 1 cm is 2 km or something like that is IMO for helicopter-combat-planing way to small.

2.) is the absence of all the city-houses. IMO for contour- or NOE-flying a bad thing.

zdXu,

Yes, you can do it like that too, but please give me exact positions of let’s say 3 peaks in mountainous area 5x5km of your choice. I think it is too complicated, and don’t let me talk about the whole map area of 650x450km. Zoom in, in, in, in, move the cursor left/right, right mouse click, move the cursor up/down, so you find a peak. But is it there, or between the steps of the cursor. Is the peak’s elevation 1739m or maybe a bit more between steps of the cursor, who can tell… Then let’s zoom more in to the max zoom and move the cursor left/right then up/down. Too complicated. You can do the same in map view (F10) and find the peak with mouse cursor, but again very complicated and time consuming.

I prefer using free camera (LeftCtrl+F11) and then I can visually identify peaks, “fly” to them “land” the camera on the peak and read the altitude. Then find visually and “fly” to another.

I understand your issues with the scale of the map (by the way 1cm is 5km) and the absence of houses in the cities, but this was not the purpose of the map. For such detailed planning you would use 1:25000 (or maybe 1:50000) scale, and huh! If somebody make 1:25000 scale map of the whole area, when printed it would be ~25x20m. The purpose of the map is for rough planning. You read your briefing and mark the front line, friendly’s positions and your targets area. I think it would drastically increase situational awareness. Then use your ABRIS for precise targets positions.

And the main purpose of the map is to coordinate DCS aircraft with FC2 aircraft and FC2 aircraft with FC2 aircraft in multiplayer when F10 map is disabled.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi all,

I can finally announce that the TC-1 map is finished, and sent to ED for check. :D

Here is the list of changes made since the last update I’ve released:

- Both Geo and MGRS grids were slightly corrected,

- The map now have close to 100 mountain peaks,

- All the TV, Radio and Comms Towers I could find are includes, Oil Platforms too,

- Morse codes of the NDBs are added,

- Separate Maximum Elevation Figures (MEF) grid is added,

- Some extra features are added in the legend,

- Front cover for the folded map is made,

- Some small corrections of colors and thickness of lines are made.

Now I’m waiting for the response by ED and then I will make all suggested changes (if any). After that, according to ED the printed map will probably be available within 4 weeks, but please wait until an announcement from JimMack on availability, pricing, and advice on laminating.

S!

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi all,

I can finally announce that the TC-1 map is finished, and sent to ED for check. :D

Here is the list of changes made since the last update I’ve released:

- Both Geo and MGRS grids were slightly corrected,

- The map now have close to 100 mountain peaks,

- All the TV, Radio and Comms Towers I could find are includes, Oil Platforms too,

- Morse codes of the NDBs are added,

- Separate Maximum Elevation Figures (MEF) grid is added,

- Some extra features are added in the legend,

- Front cover for the folded map is made,

- Some small corrections of colors and thickness of lines are made.

Now I’m waiting for the response by ED and then I will make all suggested changes (if any). After that, according to ED the printed map will probably be available within 4 weeks, but please wait until an announcement from JimMack on availability, pricing, and advice on laminating.

S!

Fantastic news Igor, cheers and congratulations!!!!!

Very good news!! Thanks a lot!

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Just wanted to add my thanks and vote of support - very much looking forward to this!

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

Hi Focha,

I ask since the FAA publishes only the longest LDA on all US sectionals next to each airport, as during an emergency, it becomes very easy to determine what airport you are going to alternate to by looking at that.

Knowing the maximum LDA at a particular airport is certianly useful, but what if crosswinds preclude the use of that runway? The crosswind runway may be too short. On the other hand, if you know the shortest LDA and crosswinds stop you from using that runway, you know the others at the same airport are at least the same length or longer.

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

Congrat's igormk on completing this project. I'm sure it was a lot of work and took time from your family and friends. I appreciate you taking that time and the effort and skills to put this together. Looking forward to the map.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Uh, yes. Honestly it took much more time than I expected. :)

Here are few screens of the final version:

TC-1Betta1.jpg

Hi my frend

Can do a simple suggestion, if you can remember that all the marginal information in a chart on a scale of 1:500 000, the standard is in the bottom of the table, i'm refer to the two Part graphs lower left of the map I think they are reference to airports landing instruments, I can not distinguish graphic or funtion of the other.

These should be provided outside of the letter for better reading and location of points on this sector.

Thank you very much for your work from now on.

Edited by manfrez01
  • Like 1

Hi my frend

I can do a sinple only suggestion, if you can remember that all the marginal information in a chart on a scale of 1:500 000, the standard is in the bottom of the tabla.Me refer to the two Part graphs lower left of the map I think they are reference to airports landing instruments, I can not distinguish graphic or funtion of the other.

These should be provided outside of the letter for better reading and location of points on this sector.

Thank you very much for your work from now on.

Hi manfrez01,

If I understood you correctly, putting those two (the second one is MEF Grid) outside of the map area would mean that I would have to enlarge the blank white frame around the map. That would mean larger dimensions of an already large map.

Don’t worry about problems with reading, because opacity of the data below those two (table & grid) is reduced. On the other hand, I’m 100% sure that you will never be in a need to locate anything in that sector, since it is quite far in the open sea. ;)

S!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Copy igormk

What type of sistem of coordinate do you use for this chart... WGS84 perhaps

:book:

That's a map datum, not a coordinate system...:smartass:

A map datum is usually an ellipsoid or similar 3D object which can be described by a geometric equation. This is then taken as the mean earth surface level (equivalent to MSL). WGS84 is an ellipsoid whos parameters have been taken to achieve an optimal fit on a global scale. There are numerous other map datums which have better local fits, but whos validity is limited to a certain area.

In principle, any coordinate system can be chosen for a certain map datum.

And then there is the map projection which is again a separate thing...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

A map datum is usually an ellipsoid or similar 3D object which can be described by a geometric equation. This is then taken as the mean earth surface level (equivalent to MSL). WGS84 is an ellipsoid whos parameters have been taken to achieve an optimal fit on a global scale. There are numerous other map datums which have better local fits, but whos validity is limited to a certain area.

Right on! I used to teach a bit of this. Here's some good references for those of you having a hard time falling asleep ;):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Geodetic_System

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projections

Sorry friend but you make a mistake by confusing datum(that can be a marginal information or , we use Example datum support for such triangulation points or nodes are used to give reference to planialtimetric and cartographic poses, such Altitud,lat.Long,etc. this is a net for support studies) with projection systems (WG84=World Geodetic System 84)that is what I ask so.

Each country chooses its projection system in accordance with their geographical distributions

In Argentina used the projection system of Gauss Kruger whether or POSGAR Inchauspe.

Wath im traying to ask is What sistems of proyecction they use at this chart

Edited by manfrez01

Copy igormk

Thanks for the fast reply:thumbup:

One last question...

What type of sistem of coordinate do you use for this chart... WGS84 perhaps

Well, at the beginning I’ve noticed that there is some difference in the coordinate systems between ME and “in game”. So, logically I choose to take “in game” system for reference, not taking in count ellipsoid at all.

Then, when I finished Geodetic grid, I went in ABRIS setup menu, to see if it is possible to change Geodetic format to MGRS or UTM so I can make MGRS grid more easily. Of course, there was no such option, but I was shocked to see that in the setup menu you can choose between Krassnovsky and WGS-84 ellipsoid.

WGS-84 is a standard for western world, and certainly for future DCS A-10C, and all my work till then was based on Krassnovsky ellipsoid which is referenced to Pulkovo System of 1942 Datum.

Before killing myself, I’ve decided to check for differences between those two ellipsoids and luckily discovered that there is almost no difference with latitude, and there is average of 0.11 minutes difference with longitude. For that part of the world, 0.11 minutes is approximately 150 meters, and 150m on 1:500000 scale map is 0.3mm, so… acceptable I think.

After all, the purpose of this map is not to program cruise missiles for pin-point strikes. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]