DCS on Samsung Gear VR!!!

Aries

I just recently acquired the Samsung Gear VR consumer edition...

It's an amazing gadget with fun apps, games & features and am waiting for the consumer Rift...

BUT!!!

There is this little app:

http://intugame.com/

Intugame Gear VR Premium on Google play

It makes streaming in Stereo 3D of DCS windowed mode to your Gear VR possible!!!

And detects your head movements and translates them to mouse movements in cockpit (mouselook should be on)!!!

It works amazingly good and the Samsung S6 which I use has 2560x1440 resolution and makes the hud perfectly readable...

It is just 3DOF but it's great...

THE ONLY THING THAT IS A MUST IS "WiFi AC1200" standard wireless throughput...

Without it there is lag...

By the reviews the Netgear A6210 is a damn good 802.11ac USB card & I just ordered one...

Will keep you posted here if it works flawless...

The standard Intugame Gear VR has a 10 minute limit...

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you getting it to work in stereo? I've tried all the combinations of stereo on/off in DCS world and in intugame and I can only get it to look OK in 2d. It would make sense to put DCS in stereo, and enable the intugame setting for native in-game side by side, but it's all out of whack for me. Like the images don't line up anywhere close to how they should be.

Also, my monitor is 1080, so that's the highest resolution I can pick in DCS. Do you know a way to stream QHD to the gear?

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Aries, did you try maybe with Trinus VR?

I tried trinus today but didn't have any luck. I open the app and the connection to PC establishes, but as soon as I put the phone into the gear the oculus home screen launches. I don't have the same problem with intugame.

I started trying to tweak the stereo.lua file to see if I can get side by side looking ok with intugame.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Build your own 7 inch 4K DisplayPort screen and put it in the GearVR, Problem solved :)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Build your own 7 inch 4K DisplayPort screen and put it in the GearVR, Problem solved :)

Yes, because there are so very many 4K displays out there, smaller than 4x9", to choose from.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I bought an "ac" 430Mbps standard USB WiFi card but still can't make it work fluidly...

I set it up as AP on PC (https://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/) which is a great straightforward utility...

But my S6 can reach only 86Mbit speed while connecting (I even forced 5Ghz in the USB cards drivers)...

I can stream 60FPS only on Medium Intugame Gear VR quality which is good for flying and shooting but not good enough... Man I need to buy a full-cost 1Gbit ac 5Ghz router...

KLR Rico, what does your phone say when you connect to your router? What speed?

I tried Trinus VR, but it's got so many options and when USB tethered it doesn't fit into my Gear VR...

I would really love the Rift CV to come out and end this fiddling agony... ;)

BTW. This is a great guide to monitor capture/encode/stream performance in Intugame VR:

http://intugame.com/intugame-vr-troubleshooting-1-1/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aries, did you try maybe with Trinus VR?

It is different app for VR. Also work with TrackIR or Opentrack so no need for mobile gyro sensors. So will work with 6DF.

There is the nausea problem in VR... if it lags or your movement is not 1:1 you feel sick very soon... :cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I bought an "ac" 430Mbps standard USB WiFi card but still can't make it work fluidly...

I set it up as AP on PC (https://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/) which is a great straightforward utility...

But my S6 can reach only 86Mbit speed while connecting (I even forced 5Ghz in the USB cards drivers)...

I can stream 60FPS only on Medium Intugame Gear VR quality which is good for flying and shooting but not good enough... Man I need to buy a full-cost 1Gbit ac 5Ghz router...

KLR Rico, what does your phone say when you connect to your router? What speed?

I tried Trinus VR, but it's got so many options and when USB tethered it doesn't fit into my Gear VR...

I would really love the Rift CV to come out and end this fiddling agony... ;)

BTW. This is a great guide to monitor capture/encode/stream performance in Intugame VR:

http://intugame.com/intugame-vr-troubleshooting-1-1/

I would also download "Wifi Analyzer" to see how many others are on the channel that you're on. There's no hope in the 2.4GHz band. But in the 5GHz band, you can usually find an uncluttered frequency.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

phone receives 4G and Wifi usually when its next to your head regardless.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Talking to phone should normally end in 1-2 minutes, unless of course womans :).

Any wireless devices are not healthy and there will be not found ever official reports stating these... because they need to sell. More G's more damages. We are already living in a microwave ove.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Any EM waves are not good for you. I am no DR but unlike a mobile phone which you'd normally use for few minutes at most, wearing wireless device on your head for hours every day, would be too much exposure I think.

No longer active in DCS...

The new router came in today...

20151229_153005.jpg

...after some setting up of the 5Ghz AC WiFi parameters I gave a go to Intugame Gear VR again...

My Samsung S6 connected to the new 5Ghz wireless network with a whopping 780Mbps as opposed to the max 130Mbps till now...

The fluidity in the Intugame stream is amazing now and DCS World is fluent at the captured 1920x1080 resolution...

I use the High setting of stream quality in Intugame (there is Ultra above it but it still can't reach 60FPS, not even on a this fast wireless connection).

HUD and instruments are highly readable, and the immersion of a lag free VR DCS is mindblowing...

I flew a little in the Fulcrum over Georgia, it is loads of fun!!! :pilotfly:

But the ultimate test was the Huey in Las Vegas...

...I can't describe how different the feeling of space awareness is with a VR helmet as opposed to headtracking... The micro corrections in helicopter behaviour are so more precise now and landing on a building is now a totally different story...

All in all, the combination of Samsung Gear VR, Intugame software and DCS World is simply amazing! :thumbup:

And now to find out a way to surpass 3DOF and to implement some sort of camera pass-through view for keyboard input... doh... the story actually never ends once you get into this sim, eh? :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tried to get FreePIE to work for headtracking through OpenTrack...

...it doesn't work with Intugame Gear VR cause Intugame takes over the mobile phone's movement sensors when connected... but I managed to make it work with the Intugame VR regular edition by disabling the headtracking capability in Intugame's settings and not connecting it to the Gear VR's microUSB thingeye (left it up)...

It's much better to adapt the Pitch/Yaw/Roll curves in OpenTrack than in Intugame Gear VR's limited X & Y sensitivity settings...

The story continues... :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Read a little arround the forums and managed to change Stereo.lua values to get 3D...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2522525&postcount=7

Only the viewDx had to be set to get a good image with Gear VR through Intugame...

-0.12 for Left and 0.12 for Right

One should set the eye_shift value accordingly to his IPD to half of the IPD for Left & Right respectively...

The -0.032 & 0.032 are pulled from average people's IPD of 63.5mm

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/intro-vr/latest/concepts/bp_app_imaging/

Resolution in Stereo 3D mode is crap... cause it splits the 1920x1080 in half... sigh... :(

Stereo_GearVR.lua

Edited by Aries

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One more pretty important find!!! (for non-Stereo3D mode)

The screen ratio when using Intugame Gear VR should be set to 4:3 instead of the 16:9 that for example 1920x1080 gets you in game options...

Seems like Intugame renders the captured frames to 4:3 squares for your two eyes despite the 16:9 resolution captured...

This way the sim world is not vertically stretched and looks as it should...

Edited by Aries

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One more pretty important find!!! (for non-Stereo3D mode)

The screen ratio when using Intugame Gear VR should be set to 4:3 instead of the 16:9 that for example 1920x1080 gets you in game options...

Seems like Intugame renders the captured frames to 4:3 squares for your two eyes despite the 16:9 resolution captured...

This way the sim world is not vertically stretched and looks as it should...

hi. I hope you don't mind me asking

but what's the quality like

and the fps. is this a good option for a rift replacement?

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

The quality is superb! HUD readable, zoom working (it's not Stereo 3D, in stereo, zooming changes focus and fubars the image... but stereo 3d also works). FPS is 60 on High Intugame quality with strong WiFi (AC1200 router, 780Mbps connection)... Seems that Intugame doesn't go above that so I keep vsync on when flying in the VR (i7 4790K, GTX970, 1920x1080).

I haven't managed (not yet tried) 6DOF but 3DOF works great with some mouselook axises tweaking, with Intugame tracking and also OpenTrack FreePIE plugin (needs regular Intugame and not the Gear VR version).

All in all, a great experience...

If you have some of the Samsung high res phones (S6, EDGE...) or plan to get one, the Gear VR at 100$ and the 10$ Intugame are a Sierra Hotel pick...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]