Request official flight model update

Chops

Matt and/or Developers,

I really appreciate and enjoy your update videos, however, I have not seen any official comments regarding the Hornet flight model. Will you please provide an update on the current flight model status? Is the flight model considered complete at this time, or are there still outstanding issues that are being worked on?

Since the early access release, there have been numerous posts and speculation in the F-18 Forum regarding problems/issues with the flight model from customers. I have also seen occasional responses from SME's indicating that they feel the flight model is off, and that the Developers are aware of issues with the flight model.

The June 13, 2018 patch update contained this fix - "Fixed the behavior of the aircraft when flaps extended from the AUTO to HALF/FULL positions." However, this doesn't really explain what exactly was changed, or what the perceived problem was prior to the fix.

Obviously, the flight model is the most fundamental "feature" of the DCS F-18, so it is a bit curious that there has not been any official comment or update on where things stand.

Based on the number of flight model posts in the forums, I bet a lot of your customers would appreciate an update and in-depth discussion of the flight model from official Eagle Dynamics sources.

Thank you.

Hornet's flight model is very realistic and accurate now. No need to changes. And real Hornet pilots says the same.

Oh, it's new to me that the real F/A-18 gets sucked down / pitches down at a very low altitude.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Hornet not sucked/pitches down...you're just a poor pilot. You need more practice and skill.

That's absolute nonsense. You are apparently simply unable to fly at e.g. 500kts and below 30ft.

Hornet not sucked/pitches down...you're just a poor pilot. You need more practice and skill.

Sounds like you never tried to do a Sierra Hotel pass over a runway at 10 ft dealwithit.png

But well, that's one of the "minor" issues the Hornet FM has, as well as those bomb racks with negative drag coefficients which allow her for going M 1.2+ on the deck without burners and LAU-115s with a cw that's literally over 9000 which on the other hoof restrict the max speed @ tropopause to like M 0.9 at full gate. It is early access after all, so it's something to expect. And actually, apart from some issues like the mentioned ones, the FM of the Hornet is by ages better than most of the 3rd party ones already.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I don't know why people are always asking for a video or a trk. Why don't you simply try it?

Btw, it's a well known and confirmed bug: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213372&highlight=sucked

If you started out with that link, it would have been a lot clearer on what you meant,

But won't you agree that these are very specific bugs, while the majority of the fm won't change much from where it is now?

But won't you agree that these are very specific bugs, while the majority of the fm won't change much from where it is now?

I'm not aware that the question is about how much of the FM needs to be changed.

I would certainly don't call a bug 'very specific' if it's about basic aerodynamics, especially if it causes the F/A-18 to crash. The flare is also affected by this bug.

Edited by bbrz

I'm not aware that the question is about how much of the FM needs to be changed.

I would certainly don't call a bug 'very specific' if it's about basic aerodynamics, especially if it causes the F/A-18 to crash. The flare is also affected by this bug.

If it's well known and reported. What's the point of this thread?

Buzz

As one can see from the posts in this thread, there is a lot of misunderstanding, speculation, and confusion regarding the flight model. This is exactly why I started this thread in order to get official comment from Eagle Dynamics.

Lex and A.E.W have both stated in their YouTube videos that the flight model seems off. IvanK on this forum has stated similar sentiment and said that the developers are working on the flight model. All of these guys were real F-18 pilots.

There has only been one update to the flight model that I am aware of, which was back in June.

So, it would be really helpful if we could get official comment on what is going on with the flight model.

Everyone that has been flying the DCS F/A-18C needs to be aware that we have become conditioned to the current flight model, whether or not it is correct. Just because we have adjusted and compensated while flying the sim, does not mean that we can assume that it is correct or accurate.

- Thanks again

A Just because we have adjusted and compensated while flying the sim, does not mean that we can assume that it is correct or accurate.

Here's my concern:

Once the PFM is tuned to ED's best capabilities, it's been verified by SMEs and it's considered accurate and realistic, are we (as virtual armchair pilots) able stop nagging and question its validity and finally accept it for what it is and start training on it to master it, or will we - due to our lack of expertise/training/understanding continue to ask for the PFM to be changed until we're happy (even though the PFM ends up less than stellar or less than accurate)?

And when will we (defined as above) know and accept that the PFM is "done"?

I think it's really hard for ED to find the right stopping point here for everyone to be happy.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

As one can see from the posts in this thread, there is a lot of misunderstanding, speculation, and confusion regarding the flight model. This is exactly why I started this thread in order to get official comment from Eagle Dynamics.

Lex and A.E.W have both stated in their YouTube videos that the flight model seems off. IvanK on this forum has stated similar sentiment and said that the developers are working on the flight model. All of these guys were real F-18 pilots.

There has only been one update to the flight model that I am aware of, which was back in June.

So, it would be really helpful if we could get official comment on what is going on with the flight model.

Everyone that has been flying the DCS F/A-18C needs to be aware that we have become conditioned to the current flight model, whether or not it is correct. Just because we have adjusted and compensated while flying the sim, does not mean that we can assume that it is correct or accurate.

- Thanks again

Remember, the F/A-18C has on "anticipated access" release, that is not a final version, and meanwhile the PFM has on WIP. Take calm and wait for news.

Here's my concern:

Once the PFM is tuned to ED's best capabilities, it's been verified by SMEs and it's considered accurate and realistic, are we (as virtual armchair pilots) able stop nagging and question its validity and finally accept it for what it is and start training on it to master it, or will we - due to our lack of expertise/training/understanding continue to ask for the PFM to be changed until we're happy (even though the PFM ends up less than stellar or less than accurate)?

And when will we (defined as above) know and accept that the PFM is "done"?

I think it's really hard for ED to find the right stopping point here for everyone to be happy.

Yep,

Same with missile performance and logic.

Just wait till the F-16 is released.:cry: Oh man, the forum will be fun then....

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

What flare? You don't flare in the Hornet. Ever.

Where have you got this wrong info from?

Even the performance data section in the NATOPS manual mentions the increased landing distance when performing a flare.