1010 members have voted

1. 1. Leatherneck MiG-23 Flogger

• Yes, absolutely: i want it!
    • No, i'm wait for next Leatherneck's projects annoucements

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mig-23MLD would be my 1# choice of AC. Its a beautiful machine, with all its shortcomings - still rocks!

Nevertheless, it would actually be somewhat feasible choice in the current DCS environment of fighters: F15C and Su-27/Mig-29. It would be able to do some BVR and generally compete as a point defense fighter with the support of ATC and ground radars. Also noting that many Mig-23s are kept in reserve and storage by the BBC. All-out conflict would surely see some of them back in the air.

IMO, if the code is 60% shared with 21... Leatherneck must for it!

I am sure there will be plenty of backers and me and the 51st squadron would be the first to jump on the bandwagon.

Lets make it happen!

Edited by Breakshot

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

The Mig-23MLD would be my 1# choice of AC. Its a beautiful machine, with all its shortcomings - still rocks!

Nevertheless, it would actually be somewhat feasible choice in the current DCS environment of fighters: F15C and Su-27/Mig-29. It would be able to do some BVR and generally compete as a point defense fighter with the support of ATC and ground radars. Also noting that many Mig-23s are kept in reserve and storage by the BBC. All-out conflict would surely see some of them back in the air.

IMO, if the code is 60% shared with 21... Leatherneck must for it!

I am sure there will be plenty of backers and me and the 51st squadron would be the first to jump on the bandwagon.

Lets make it happen!

I second That !! :thumbup:

Considering our aircraft are built with AFM (EFM's) -- there is nothing stopping us from creating swingwing birds.

Lol now your just teasing!

I would give my right arm for a tornado of similar quality to your mig 21!

Give a European combat aircraft a try!:)

Edited by westr

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

All joking aside though the mig21 will be a definite purchase for me I think it will be a really fun multirole experience!

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Give a European combat aircraft a try!:)

Would be cool, but MiG-23 first :)

Look, we have Su-25, Mi-8, soon we will have MiG-21 Bis, also Mi-24 is somewhere on a road plan.

To get a full scale, realistic, historically accurate simulator we also need Afghanistan map, hopefully it would be easier with EDGE and it's tools. Then we could have perfectly simulated Soviet Afghan War (1979 - 1989). And we already have all necessary non-flyables (An-24, IL-76 ...) and ground units.

MiG-23 fits perfectly into this!

Also with just a bit of fantasy we could use Ka-50 on the same war scenery, as it was undergoing tests when war was still in place.

Well, dreaming, dreaming, but for me it looks like perfect win strategy (relatively easy to implement, huge impact on DCS)... :D

Edited by Mnemonic
  • Like 1

Look, we have Su-25, Mi-8, soon we will have MiG-21 Bis, also Mi-24 is somewhere on a road plan.

To get a full scale, realistic, historically accurate simulator we also need Afghanistan map, hopefully it would be easier with EDGE and it's tools. Then we could have perfectly simulated Soviet Afghan War (1979 - 1989). And we already have all necessary non-flyables (An-24, IL-76 ...) and ground units.

Also with just a bit of fantasy we could use Ka-50 on the same war scenery, as it was undergoing tests when war was still in place.

Well, dreaming, dreaming, but for me it looks like perfect win strategy (relatively easy to implement, huge impact on DCS)... :D

+1

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
well, we are getting the world's leading distributor of F-4 Phantom II parts - Mig-21 :music_whistling:

Actually... I think it would be safe to say that the SA-2 is the leading distributor of F-4 parts...Along with AAA :gun_rifle:

Actually... I think it would be safe to say that the SA-2 is the leading distributor of F-4 parts...Along with AAA :gun_rifle:

Eh, I would take combat statistics with a healthy grain of salt.

Russia and the US both claim their fighter (MiG-21 vs F-4) came out ahead in Vietnam, and the truth is probably somewhere near the middle.

Similar to the Mig-15 vs. F-86, and even RAND estimates in Korea the F-86 had an overall 1.8:1 ratio against the MiG-15, far below the official 10:1 ratio given by the USAF.

And I would expect some of the F-4 "groundfire" losses to really be from enemy aircraft. To what degree is the question.

Whilst I would definitely take the word of the American pilots over that of people living under oppressive regimes, I sort of agree with Reagan. It's an established fact that since the birth of SAMs, even to this day most planes and helicopters are shot down by relatively unsophisticated weapons on the ground. The combined threat of small arms, MANPADs and optically guided AAA and short range SAM systems are still the most dangerous, because they're small, mobile and there's no radar emission to target with ARMs.

Despite all technological advances, it's still the relatively simple technologies that down more planes and helicopters than anyone else on the battlefield.

Whilst I would definitely take the word of the American pilots over that of people living under oppressive regimes, I sort of agree with Reagan. It's an established fact that since the birth of SAMs, even to this day most planes and helicopters are shot down by relatively unsophisticated weapons on the ground. The combined threat of small arms, MANPADs and optically guided AAA and short range SAM systems are still the most dangerous, because they're small, mobile and there's no radar emission to target with ARMs.

Despite all technological advances, it's still the relatively simple technologies that down more planes and helicopters than anyone else on the battlefield.

If you look at the statistics in Korea, both sides reported something like 4 times as many aircraft shot down as the other side lost in total. I think it has more to do with human nature than any political realities.

While I agree that most aircraft are shot down by relatively unsophisticated weapons from the ground (especially in US conflicts after Vietnam), I think it has a lot to do with the fact most aircraft are facing far more of those weapons than hostile fighters. You don't need infrastructure, skilled personnel, or much in the way of resources to field MANPADS.

In both Vietnam and Korea more planes and helicopters were downed by low level ground fire than any other weapon, so it's not about MANPADs. It's to do with the simple fact that the outcome of planes facing each other is depending on the skills and tactics employed, and only occurs that often as there's a very limited amount of them on both sides compared to grunts.

Whereas when planes face ground fire at low level, they have few means of putting an end to it. Even if they strafe/bomb some guys, they'll expose themselves to others doing it, and they won't stop. They're hard to see, and they won't have to leave because they reach Bingo fuel.

To some extent it can be compared to an elephant and ants. The elephant can try to stomp on some of them, but there's still going to be about 99.95% of them left at least. But if he and another elephant tried to kill each other for some reason, things would be somewhat different.

Edited by Scrim

+2:thumbup: Mnemonic

Which Su-23 Flogger Variant would this be?

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

• 1 month later...
+2:thumbup: Mnemonic

Which Su-23 Flogger Variant would this be?

Wikipedia tells about Pakistani F-16 and Soviet MiG-23MLD encounters with some sources given. So this would be quite the multi-role version that we already have as AI - and the one I'd prefer :)

Over 500 ML/MLAs have been upgraded to MLD between 1982 and 1985, so it definately fits in the time frame.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I would LOVE to see a Mig-23 done to the (apparent) level of the LN Mig-21. Definite Day One buy. :thumbsup:

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

• 4 weeks later...