F-4 Phantom Who Wants it Poll

USARStarkey

F-4 Phantom Who Wants it Poll  

1880 members have voted

1. 1. F-4 Phantom Who Wants it Poll

• YES. THE MIG-21 NEEDS ITS RIVAL
    • YES. Because I just want the Phantom
    • No, I don't like cool planes
    • No, I love the myriad of lame trainers and far flung planes with no historical opposition.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe they have been making a phantom secretly like they did for viggen

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

who knows LN is probably busy with the Tomcat ( and the F4u1 corsair) tbh id hope they dont take up any projects while thier still working on these so they can focus on just these two, and not get overloaded with an additional project(s) whilst working on these 2 modules.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Except, that we knew about it for almost two years :).

I would love a Phantom, but I wouldn't assume unless one is at least hinted.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Once in a while I come into this thread to repeat my absolute support for the Phantom in DCS !!! The one and only :-)

yup DCS legacy era has a huge void without the F4 phantom. I personally want an F4E from the 70s ( with its wing slats) since would have the internal gun and overall the most versatile too, as well as being the most exported of the variants. But tbh at then and of the day any phantom will do.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

yup DCS legacy era has a huge void without the F4 phantom. I personally want an F4E from the 70s ( with its wing slats) since would have the internal gun and overall the most versatile too, as well as being the most exported of the variants. But tbh at then and of the day any phantom will do.

I agree. An F-4E Block 48 (which has slats, TISEO and AGM-65A capability :)) would fit the most scenarios. It flew combat missions in Vietnam, with Iran, Israel and was loved by pilots who used to fly the hard-wing Phantom. It could even be used in Desert Storm scenarios.

And I would also fly any Phantom, but I feel that the above version is the definitive variant.

Why?

I know if decided to dev a plane for DCS, an F-4 is far from my thoughts when just musing over the aircraft I'd like to do, not even considering any practical issues.

Yes, you're right.

A T-37 for instance is so much more sexier or an "iconic" aircraft like a Learjet.

Oh, the great missions which could be done in DCS with a Learjet.

And why not a Starlifter. It would be so fun to pilot a Starlifter.

Why a Starfighter when a dev team could model for us a Starlifter?

Of course, any light unarmed chopper is welcome.

Yes, you're right.

A T-37 for instance is so much more sexier or an "iconic" aircraft like a Learjet.

I'll ignore the sarcasm and ask again, why is it unbelievable?

I get that you really like the plane and want to see one in DCS, but surely you can see some reasons why it wouldn't be high on other people's lists?

I'll ignore the sarcasm and ask again, why is it unbelievable?

I get that you really like the plane and want to see one in DCS, but surely you can see some reasons why it wouldn't be high on other people's lists?

because its iconic aircraft, and is a very versatile fighter that would fit nicely in the legacy era. It was the prime frontline fighter of 3 services in the US ( air force, navy, Marine corps) and widely exported. We have the Mig21Bis from east ), someone will eventually make a Mig23 ( razbam tried to, but i guess someone else may have this in their roadmap) , a Mirage F1 is in the works by aviodev ( screens of a 3d WIP model available), so team blue very much needs an F4 phantom.

just because it isnt 4th generation and multirole with MFD'S targeting pods, and ther latest n greatest PGM's ( and other gee wizz tech) doesn't mean its useless. Its not a impractical aircraft. Its one of the most important and relevant aircraft of the 3rd generation, which would fit into various scenarios, as pointed out. It saw combat service in Vietnam, Iran-Iraq war, ARab-Isreali conflicts, and even in the Gulf war via the F4G specialized SEAD variant. the F4E is the definitive variant ( as pointed out by sgt pappy the block 48 specifically)

Even if this aircraft isnt in your personal wishlist, its should be easy to understand why its relevant, and why there are those out there who are would be interested in purchasing and flying such an aircraft. It is not some Niche aircraft.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

[snip]

Thank you Kev2go, for telling me what I already know about the F4, it's history and the reasons why yourself and others really want it in DCS.

Sadly you've not answered the question of why CHDT thinks it's unbelievable that it's not either already in DCS or in development.

For what it's worth, I never stated it wasn't on my personal wishlist for aircraft I want to see and use in DCS :)

Thank you Kev2go, for telling me what I already know about the F4, it's history and the reasons why yourself and others really want it in DCS.

Sadly you've not answered the question of why CHDT thinks it's unbelievable that it's not either already in DCS or in development.

For what it's worth, I never stated it wasn't on my personal wishlist for aircraft I want to see and use in DCS :)

Well I couldnt't quite answer the question for him, but why i think it wasn't chosen in the past. the likely reasons would have been 2 seater , AI, and A2G radar being a limiting factors, but ED will release the A2G radar once the F18C is done, and multi crew aircraft are no longer impossible, merely more challenging to make.

LN atm i think would imo the most capable 3rd party for creating an F4. The made their own A2G radar for the viggen instead of waiting for ED's in house solution. thier making the F14, plus an AI to take over some functions for when players decide to switch between 2 positions ( or play solo in Singeplay) IF its any 3rd party developer who's really impressed the most of late it is LN, and id think theyd be up to to the task. OFC i want them to focus on the F14 and not get sidetracked, but the F4 could potentially be a module they could pickup next (among others), after the F14 rolls out.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Yes, you're right.

A previous 3rd part intent develop a F-104S Starfighter, the old Mil-Sim-Projects, but the project was close and the team terminated. Build a plane module on DCS: W has not a "easy" task.

Others intent build others "iconic" aircraft's and others projects and end in the "Graveyard". A F-4 has "others" problems outside to get a "team" and start to build a module.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

A previous 3rd part intent develop a F-104S Starfighter, the old Mil-Sim-Projects, but the project was close and the team terminated. Build a plane module on DCS: W has not a "easy" task.

Others intent build others "iconic" aircraft's and others projects and end in the "Graveyard".

No need to give us such a bleak vision. Any of the current existing 3d paries who have thier own forum subsection obviously have what it takes to make a module.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

A F-4 has "others" problems outside to get a "team" and start to build a module.

Doubt any more problems than a more modern and even more complex AC like the F14 or F18, then again your being pretty vague( developmental or licensing?) anyhow so i'm not going to be playing guessing games, but i have explained in a prior post why the F4 wasnt really possible before, but can be now ( depending on the resourcefulness and skills of a given developer) and how it will be even more viable in the future after the F18 release.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Doubt any more problems than a more modern and even more complex AC like the F14 or F18, then again your being pretty vague( developmental or licensing?) anyhow so i'm not going to be playing guessing games.

- You need a license to build them (IP) and / or "military" clearance.

- Get the appropriate data

- Get a ED contract to build them

You cant "Claim" them meanwhile not full all of them request (and surely other point missing).

The first part has the point more "trouble". In the past, some 3rd parties has "deny" the F-4 develop (VEAO drop them by no UK license) and none other 3rd party has confirm them (The F-4 has not a "easy" project).