F-14A/B DEVELOPMENT UPDATE #2

Cobra847

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't decide if I should bother getting the Aerosoft F-14. Yeah it would be practice, but I feel I need to stay strong and hold out for Leatherneck's. What do you guys think? To wait, or not to wait?

Frisco1522

I have the Aerosoft F14, I enjoy it.....

I can't decide if I should bother getting the Aerosoft F-14. Yeah it would be practice, but I feel I need to stay strong and hold out for Leatherneck's. What do you guys think? To wait, or not to wait?

Frisco1522

I have it and it actually was the impetus to return to flight sim-ing (after a 13 year hiatus).

I think it's an excellent P3D (which I have) add-on. It is a SFM by DCS standards, but really well done. It is the only FSX/P3D add-on that sort-of approaches the flight modeling in DCS. It's definitely not as "real" feeling as DCS modules, but it is closer than anything else I've tried.

It also appears to be a really great rendition of the F-14 and the flight characteristics are very close to what I've read. Actually, the truth is that this module answered a ton of questions concerning the quirks and pros/cons of the F-14A - which is really great compliment for a flight sim. After flying it, the things I read made sense.

The F-14 is also a real handful on landing! I think the Aerosoft F-14A is harder to land "on speed and on AOA" than any jet in DCS. Lots of dutch roll, uncommanded yaw, very laggy/touchy engines. A hard landing is much less of a problem (due to limitations of FSX/P3D), but otherwise it is quite hard to properly set down. The DCS MiG-21Bis is easier to keep on-heading and on-speed, but is harder to safely touch-down without mainmount damage.

If the LNS F-14 is as hard or harder to land than the Aerosoft F-14, it will be the hardest fixed wing jet aircraft to land in DCS. I'm very interested to see the difference in handling.

Any way, if you love the F-14 get it! The biggest problem is that it forces you to use FSX/P3D (which doesn't work as well with TrackIR and is much less realistic feeling to me). It's still the only P3D aircraft I've tried in the past 6 months and I still use it routinely - last flew it on Saturday.

Hope this helps,

Nick

I also have a dream that once this sim is out, I will try my hardest at making a home cockpit for it. I've never done it before, but it looks like a lot of fun and work to build one. Gonna be awhile in the future though...but worth it! :thumbsup:

And I want a front seat and a back seat so I could have friends over.

Frisco1522

Frisco1522

I bought it for P3D and it's quite nice. Very detailed, but of course it's not DCS. However, it does allow you to get quite familiar with the bird, and carrier landings are fun!

There is no reason not to not get the Aerosoft F-14 for a totally different sim, while the one for DCS is still ways away... I guess Q2 of 2016 is the earliest before there might be a beta release...

So yea, go for the Aerosoft F-14, and have some fun with her.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I bought it for P3D and it's quite nice. Very detailed, but of course it's not DCS. However, it does allow you to get quite familiar with the bird, and carrier landings are fun!

There is no reason not to not get the Aerosoft F-14 for a totally different sim, while the one for DCS is still ways away... I guess Q2 of 2016 is the earliest before there might be a beta release...

So yea, go for the Aerosoft F-14, and have some fun with her.

Why is everyone so pessimistic? They said late 2015 to early 2016. They're quite far in their work.

Gotta catch them all bandits! :joystick:

Why is everyone so pessimistic? They said late 2015 to early 2016. They're quite far in their work.

Where did you read that?

On the website it says "first half of 2016"

(I agree that they are quite far in there work)

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Where did you read that?

On the website it says "first half of 2016"

(I agree that they are quite far in there work)

well, just here : http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2336042&postcount=1

But :

(...)Currently we hope to complete development and enter BETA testing on the first version of the F-14 by the end of 2015. Subject to significant change.

:D

if you look at their F-14 dev map on their site it say's quote:

We are working hard on developing the F-14 project and we currently expect to reach an initial internal BETA stage during the first half of 2016. The complexity of the project at hand cannot be understated, however. Both the F-14 itself and all auxiliary components (Theatre, JESTER AI) are incredibly complex tasks, thus we must approach any estimates with great caution. Expect this estimate to change drastically, as we keep you better informed towards the tail-end of 2015.

if you look at their F-14 dev map on their site it say's quote:

Indeed, initial internal beta in the first half of 2016. That hints at the fact that the F-14 is still ways away.

But there are two LN planes that will come in 2015, so we'll have plenty to do in the mean time. :)

What are the other two planes from LN are they announced? Still i think that the tomcat will be first

One seems to be AJ-37 Viggen. The other is most likely a WW2 plane.

F-14 won't be first, it's scheduled for 2016 while the other two are supposed to come in 2015. That's what the devs said, so let's hope they stick to their word.

I would look for the two unannounced planes in late December at the earliest. The Tomcat late summer.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

I would look for the two unannounced planes in late December at the earliest. The Tomcat late summer.

Leatherneck is cooking their bakery very well... there were roumours for one shot announcement : revealed - ready to install. Let's wait and see what willl really happens in the phase 2 of DCS new engine.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Leatherneck is cooking their bakery very well... there were roumours for one shot announcement : revealed - ready to install. Let's wait and see what willl really happens in the phase 2 of DCS new engine.

A dual announcement would be amazing! The last year has made me quite the pessimist though. The devs have just run into a lot of not unexpected bugs and some are taking longer to workout than was planned. I'm really looking forward to the announcements!

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...