DCS June Newsletter!!

I understand waiting...I do, but my wife just can't take it anymore. These newsletters come out .....I plummet emotionally and she finds me curled up in the shower, wearing my Spiderman briefs, sobbing uncontrollably. BTW, its not easy finding size 36 Spiderman underwear.

:drunk:

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im pretty surprised, i expected a bit more complaining (or the mods are really quick on the clean up).

I would just echo what many have said.. im sad its delay, i saw the newsletter email and got all excited, only to see 'delayed' even though i kinda expected it.

That said, i agree, take the time needed and do it right. I would rather wait knowing its going to be fully baked and that when its released dev resources wont get pulled from feature development to bug fixes cause so many users are complaining.

This way, most or all the main features are together (at least mostly) and then when alpha testing starts the resources cane focus on refinement and bug fixes without causing even further delays to committed features.

ED, You guys are doing great work, you continue to develop the baseline by which others are measured. Keep up the level of quality everyone has come to expect. Take the time, you know best what it needs to be at Alpha release, just don't set your internal bar too high ;-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Thanks for your honesty, ED.

As requested here is my constructive criticism:

The shots look great, and they tell us again how cool it would be if EDGE, NTTR, or the F/A-18C module existed. More info about features that were already mentioned, so we at least know they are still being worked on. And upgrades on some FC3 planes. That's great for people who want to play those I guess. Oh, and pictures again, which are always nice. But still nothing to actually use. And it even sounds as if there are more features still missing than I thought.

While we are waiting: Could you perhaps post some more info about those features that are already there? That would help us I think.

So... yeah, I won't lie to you. I am indeed disappointed. It is really sad that it happens again. :(

ED has really managed to make DCSW so great that there are no competitors. So we grudgingly sit here and hope that all the cool stuff will happen one day. What else? :(

I respect ED's decision, but I don't like it that they try to pack so many features into the release. I'd prefer that they release it step by step. If they want to make it perfect, it will take an infinite time and we will never see it. Please release an imperfect version, and then keep improving it with patches. That's my opinion.

Sounds reasonable.:yes:

Specs: i7-4790K @4.00 ghz, EVGA 2080ti , 16GB ram, Samsung 512GB SSD x2.

Gear: Virpil Alpha stick with Mongoos T-50CM2 throttle, Combat-Pro flight pedals, Track ir 5 & Reverb G2

I agree with you Wolle and sometimes I think. With the timepaths DCS sets the danger is the technology environment (VR, Os, directX) develops faster then the 2.0 sim progresses. They have to make the current content functional and that has grown the last year and seems to be growing behind the scene, that in itself is not helping either. They created a framework-monster wandering over deadlines, that they have to tame.

But one day it's our joy.

Edited by piXel496
Part of the DCS-game is hope and wait, what a suspense..

I also agree with wolle. I have only been active member since 2013 (registered 2014) but even I have learnt not to take any consideration regarding estimate releases for DCS stuff. If it is a finale release with a specific release date, only then might I get excited.

Not complaining! Just saying. I have yet to be proven wrong though.

It is good looking however. The pictures sure are pretty!

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.

A question : When Matt says that there may be an option of getting the full wing Spit version but this may lead to loss of roll rate what does this mean? That we would either buy one version or the other?

It would be very, very desirable by the WW2 community if an implementation of both versions for the Spits could be found. This may pertain to other upcoming Spit variants (VEAOs' Mk XIV), and other WW2 birds that have minimal differences between them.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Great update ED! Keep going and you will get there. :thumbup:

For those that don't understand what an Alpha release is (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle):

"Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. In general, external availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software, while open source software often has publicly available alpha versions. The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete."

I believe ED is pushing for feature complete (at least that's my impression given the content listed in the newsletter). :thumbup:

The fact that they even want to release an alpha version publicly is music to my ears! :)

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Heart sank a bit, only because I'm just in love with world 2.0 from what I have seen. Also Nevada map for immersive training and desert setting.

Totally fine with the delay and very much appreciate the heads up.

Great update by the way, world war 2 spot and 47 are day 1 buy's for me...not to mention the sweet can sweet can f18C.

I need some of that / sweet can (homer over Venus gummy)

Great update ED! Keep going and you will get there. :thumbup:

For those that don't understand what an Alpha release is ...

Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss.

Sounds much like DCS1.2 to me, I'd experienced everything expect data loss,

Considering DCS1.2

Despite our best efforts over the past six months, DCS World 2 has not yet achieved the quality level and features that we require for an open alpha release.

Only thing that comes to mind:

You really made my night....

Seriously, DCS 2.0 must be in nightmarish state. 2 executables, it was last time in XCOM? Unable to finish multiplayer GUI?

Regars https://youtu.be/OMh-Js0KFFc

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

A question : When Matt says that there may be an option of getting the full wing Spit version but this may lead to loss of roll rate what does this mean? That we would either buy one version or the other?

It would be very, very desirable by the WW2 community if an implementation of both versions for the Spits could be found. This may pertain to other upcoming Spit variants (VEAOs' Mk XIV), and other WW2 birds that have minimal differences between them.

I think in this case it simply means an option, as in a mission editor option or similar, as to whether has clipped wings or not.

Makes sense, as other modules do it that way like hardpoints and IR supressors on the Huey/Mi8 for example.

For those that don't understand what an Alpha release is (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle):

I believe ED is pushing for feature complete

Well, according to that link :

1) "feature complete" release is actually usually called beta

2) the fact the DCS is constantly evolving platform and I assume that new features will be added even after the release, as time goes by, this naming system makes even less sense to me.

But meh, I guess, call it whatever just release it already please :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

I also agree with wolle. Feature creep is a big danger for such a big software project.

And I'm pretty sure ED is in dire need of such mind-blowing revelations because they've been in business for only 20+ years and have released only all of these products so far. They're nice guys and all, but, always with those feature creeps (Moriarty).. ;)

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I am really impatient to see DCS World 2.0 and EDGE but I can perfectly understand why they don't release it now even if bugs are expected for a Beta and even more for an Alpha...

Now that I do myself computer programming, I don't really want to show unfinished software...

And also, well they deal, like every game/software maker, with so much criticism (I've even myself on the past post tons of them on this forum, and some have even help to change things for the best and others persons have do the same, without those who push devs to do some things through criticism, a lot of game/software would have not include a lot of nice and game changing features, but some people are just doing free insults, others are unhappy peoples and don't say anything that can help etc) that well, even if this is supposed to be an Alpha release, this is comprehensible that they don't want to release not polished things for avoiding that !

It have happened often a lot with tons of game that a huge part of the community ask for quicker release then the other part complain about too much bug...

That's why the official release date is "Soon™" because on the past many of us have ask for estimated release date, and since in computer programming it happen almost never that we are in time, a lot of yell about the fact that they was late...So when we ask for a estimated release date, they now simply say : "It will be release when it will be done."

Also, mainly now with every popular game company that release FALSE Beta (which are NOT beta, just a demo you paid for, that is voluntary unpolished and release as this to make auto ads and money early on) that lets people believe that Beta = No bugs or almost none, almost finish, just few missing features/objects/map etc, it force them to push further their quality to not be blamed...

So yeah, even if we all wish to have it now, they will prefer to wait until they have something correct, and also don't want to disappoint us from the thing we've waiting for years by releasing a version that is unplayable cause of huge game blocker bugs, DCS World 2.0 is supposed to be their master piece, it should be good as possible when released, even if it will be release as an Alpha...

I'm sure the reason why they won't release sooner than they could is close to this...

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

Well said. I often say there is no perfect software and as long as the developers are there to support it then there will always be tweaks in the code to improve it. If it's considered an open alpha then shouldn't bugs be expected? I agree also that the feature list seems to grow with each newsletter. I would prefer to release in steps also as we have had in the past. As it stands now we are currently dealing with imperfect software.

It's not a show stopper, but you get my point. As unsightly as it is it's still playable and I await the developers to resolve this in the next "patch". :)

I also agree with wolle. I have only been active member since 2013 (registered 2014) but even I have learnt not to take any consideration regarding estimate releases for DCS stuff. If it is a finale release with a specific release date, only then might I get excited.

Not complaining! Just saying. I have yet to be proven wrong though.

It is good looking however. The pictures sure are pretty!

I respect ED's decision, but I don't like it that they try to pack so many features into the release. I'd prefer that they release it step by step. If they want to make it perfect, it will take an infinite time and we will never see it. Please release an imperfect version, and then keep improving it with patches. That's my opinion.

The problem is, that they are dealing with show stopping bugs. Nobody is going to play a sim that constantly crashes and has missing standard features.

Did you guys even read the newsletter? Nothing Matt mentioned was feature creep. It's all groundwork for the Nevada map and upcoming maps.

Without any of those features you are getting basically what current DCS has to offer (and even less).

So my advice is to just keep enjoying the current version, nobody is taking that away from you, and it's still easily the best simulator out there even as is.

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

I for one am happy they are properly QCing the product and working out alot of the bugs before launch. Of course I want it NOW, lol, but a polished product is what we all really want and I believe they are going to make that happen!

Very disappointing...I will say this I would much rather have a work in progress that is usable than wait for an absolutely perfect product...I guess here's hoping we see something in 2016.

Maybe need to check out P3D...

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Very disappointing...I will say this I would much rather have a work in progress that is usable than wait for an absolutely perfect product...I guess here's hoping we see something in 2016.

Maybe need to check out P3D...

There is difference between work in progress and not playable. What you are saying is that you want to drive a car with one of the wheels missing.

They aren't delaying because they want to hurt your feelings:doh: In fact I'd say they are delaying in order for you to not have a true reason for disappointment.

Apart from the new beautiful graphics, new map, and mutiple players in the same aircraft - what is there that you can't do in current DCS World that you will get in DCS 2.0? Not much. If it's the graphics that bother you the most then going to a different simulator with worse graphics isn't going be much help...

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

From what I've been given to understand, the "satalite view" will allow us to place a static object on the map while being able to see it in 3D and manipulate it - move it around and rotate it - to fit into the map as the mission planner wishes. Right now, all you get is an icon for the particular static object you want to place, and must constantly start the mission to try to see where it is in relation to other objects on the map. It's a very cumbersome and clumsy way to build a mission, especially when there are so many beautiful static objects to use!!

LockOn (DCS predecessor) had a satelite view in the ME.

This allowed you to see the actual terrain & the map objects in a plan view, so you could see whether you were - for example - placing a unit alongside a building, on its roof, or in the trees near it.

Seriously, DCS 2.0 must be in nightmarish state. 2 executables, it was last time in XCOM? Unable to finish multiplayer GUI?

Seriously - if you're going to complain unhelpfully, you could at least read the post well enough to make your complaints relevant to the OP.

DCS CURRENTLY has multiple executables (ME/MP/SIM), the intention is to "move to use of a single executable"

Notice that MPGUI would fall in that list too...

Cheers.

There is difference between work in progress and not playable. What you are saying is that you want to drive a car with one of the wheels missing.

They aren't delaying because they want to hurt your feelings:doh: In fact I'd say they are delaying in order for you to not have a true reason for disappointment.

Apart from the new beautiful graphics, new map, and mutiple players in the same aircraft - what is there that you can't do in current DCS World that you will get in DCS 2.0? Not much. If it's the graphics that bother you the most then going to a different simulator with worse graphics isn't going be much help...

I'm less concerned with the graphics and more concerned about the lack of content. We've been waiting on a high performance A to G capable plane forever. It's obvious that we won't see anything new until 2.0 so the possibility of something new goes hand in hand with 2.0...

A-10C is just a boring aircraft to me and I'm getting tired of the FC3 low fidelity stuff... In any event I guess we'll wait and see.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

I am sure ED has its good reasons to delay, and we'll have to accept it. But I am just curious about all the people saying they are willing to wait for a polished product: for how long are you willing to wait?

I remember it was 3 years ago that it was announced that Nevada with edge will come out that year with a comment "for sure this time"

Then about a year or 1.5 years later it was announced that the many changes that will be made to DCS world warrant an increase in version number from 1.2.xx to 1.3 (apparently there were many features added), and that 1.3 will be the next patch released.

Then another year later it was decided that the new DCS World will be DCS world 2 (apparently because of an additional significant increase in features).

Whereas it is positive to see that the project ambitions grow and grow, at some point I want to be able to use it. I am worried that soon it'll be announced that the next DCS world is "DCS Super" with even more features, but with a release even further away.

I agree that DCS world is the best simulator out there, and that DCS world 2 or DCS world super will be even better, but...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

We've been waiting on a high performance A to G capable plane forever.

You can try the mig21 meanwhile. The f18 seems to still have a long way to go so I wouldn't hold my breath just yet but the mig21 is actually quite a lot of fun.

/OT

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S