Are rudder pedals worth it?

lockon2015

Hi all,

I was thinking of buying rudder pedals to compliment the Logitech extreme 3D pro that I bought. A couple of questions before I buy any of them because they are expensive ($150-200).

Does anyone use rudder pedals with DCS Lock on 3? Do they work great or are they just a terrible gimmick?

The only kind I saw were made by Saitek; it appears Logitech does not make flight simulator gaming pedals. Will the joystick and pedals function properly even though they are made by two different companies?

Let me know,

I wouldn't say they are a gimmick. I was happy enough with the twist function on my old stick which is more of a gimmick tbh. But then I got the Wonderful Thrustmaster Warthog which doesn't have a twist function so I was forced to buy rudder pedals. I got the Saitek combat pedals and they are useful, I never fly without them. I'd probably try a different set if I had to buy again but for the money they are okay.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I think it makes it more immersive. This is especially true for taxing :) But it also allows you to make finer adjustments in flight. The toe brakes can't be assigned to wheel brakes unfortunately but you can configure it in the software that comes with it (Su-27 anyways). Up to you to decide if it's worth $200 for you.

Hi...

One of the most underrated companies in the joystick market seems to be CH Products... I've used there products for years and found them far superior than any of the other plastic products out there... While still plastic - their plastic and components seem to be industrial strength... I just picked up a pair of new CH Rudder Pedals on eBay for $50.00... A steal in my book... Previously I had been using my micro joystick in my CH Pro Throttle for a rudder - but for the A-10 I wanted to free that up for my radar cursor... I think they are worth it - simply because they free up other controls on my HOTAS to be assigned to other functions - and to fight effectively you need lots of buttons...

Best of luck...

Regards,

Scott

Totally unnecessary for flying FC3 aircraft. An F-16 pilot told me he never touches the rudder between takeoff and landing. If you don't have them, buy any other piece of hardware first, e.g. throttle, trackir.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I think it makes it more immersive. This is especially true for taxing :) But it also allows you to make finer adjustments in flight. The toe brakes can't be assigned to wheel brakes unfortunately but you can configure it in the software that comes with it (Su-27 anyways). Up to you to decide if it's worth $200 for you.

Hi EKG, I don't quite agree with your statement re wheel-brakes. I use pedals from CH-PRO (along with my Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog set), and I certainly use the toe-brake function of the pedals for wheel-brakes. This works fine for A-10C, F-15C, FW-190, F-86F, which all allow you to configure the analog wheel-brakes (left and right) under the Axis commands. It also works with the Mig-21bis; however this bird has only a single wheel-brake axis. The SU-25T, SU-27, A-10A and possibly others don't support the analog wheel-brakes so if you only fly those birds you cannot configure the pedals for analog wheel-brakes.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

If you start flying helos and WWII planes then Rudder Pedals truly shine. Flaming cliffs 3 not so much. I used to use hat on the back of the saitek throttle to control yaw.

Different sims like il-2 sturmovik, rise of flight, helos in DCS I used saitek rudder, then logitech g940 rudder and now because I wanted more sensitivity and control I ended up buying the MFG Crosswind. pretty expensive but for my gaming needs perfect.

I agree that your money would be better spent on a more substantial HOTAS.

Rudder pedals are delightful, but should you move on to more complex aircraft, as so many of us do, I think you will be more grateful for the extra buttons and switches at your fingertips.

A CH Pro throttle would be a great addition to your setup and wouldn't break the bank. You could also look at an X-52 pro in that price range.

Or, add another $50 or so to what you were planning to spend on rudder pedals and grab an X-55.

Yes. They complete the immersive experience adding rudder control and braking. I agree you won't need them much in the air with the DCS aircraft. I just ordered a set of MFG Crosswinds after my Saitek Combat Pedals quit on me. I wouldn't fly without them. Helos are much easier with pedals.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Stay on Windows 7 64 bit and buy SAITEK X52 Pro joystick and TrackIR5! Your flying experience will sky rocket compared to what you have today! Forget pedals all together if you don't plan to be flying allot of WWII aircrafts.

EDIT: Don't upgrade to Windows 10 yet, it's a trap!

Hi EKG, I don't quite agree with your statement re wheel-brakes. I use pedals from CH-PRO (along with my Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog set), and I certainly use the toe-brake function of the pedals for wheel-brakes. This works fine for A-10C, F-15C, FW-190, F-86F, which all allow you to configure the analog wheel-brakes (left and right) under the Axis commands. It also works with the Mig-21bis; however this bird has only a single wheel-brake axis. The SU-25T, SU-27, A-10A and possibly others don't support the analog wheel-brakes so if you only fly those birds you cannot configure the pedals for analog wheel-brakes.

So far I have only been flying th Su-27. I haven't tried the others yet. Lots to learn :) I got around the limitation by assigning the w key to the toe brakes in the saitek software. It would be nice if ED updates this. I've burst my tires a few times in the Su-27 because of the wheel brakes lol

Yes and no. While they are nice in enhancing the feel of the sim and the immersion, you can get by just peachy on any of the current DCS aircraft with a twist stick. I would say a separate throttle quadrant, TrackIR, and a stick with enough buttons and hat switches should be much higher priority on your purchase list.

I mostly fly the F-18, and mostly as a flight sim rather than a combat sim.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1080, 16gb DDR4 3600, Valve Index

TM Stick/Throttle, Saitek Pedals, VAICOM

Saitek Combat Pros are fine for the money. Toe brakes are nice to have. If I were to buy another set it would be Crosswinds. The Saitek pedals do have a nice spread unlike the CH pedals which are narrow. Uncomfortable for me. My Saitek pedals are 6 years old are are fine. Keep them clean in a clean environment and they last. If your a slob with no PM regime, well they don't like dirt n dust.

Then there is the immersion factor. Never cared for the twist or rocker style. And yes they will work with your stick.

Pedals and TIR are a must have.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

For DCS helicopters: absolutely essential.

For DCS WW2 aircraft: very important.

For DCS Korea era aircraft: useful.

For modern DCS level aircraft: useful.

For FC3 level aircraft: unnecessary.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Stay on Windows 7 64 bit and buy SAITEK X52 Pro joystick and TrackIR5! Your flying experience will sky rocket compared to what you have today! Forget pedals all together if you don't plan to be flying allot of WWII aircrafts.

EDIT: Don't upgrade to Windows 10 yet, it's a trap!

Saitek is trash. It's sad they are the major player for anything over absolute beginner stick up to Warthog HOTAS, but any money spent is likely just going to just result in frustration.

One thing to consider if you're thinking about a warthog hotas down the line is there is no twist, so pedals will be necessary.

If you can afford Crosswinds go the distance. I have the pro combat saitek pedals and they catch dirt easily and are way too junky for the price.

Whenever possible, based off the nothing but problematic Saitek x52 Pro and combat rudder pedals I had, I preach a 'wait and save' attitude. I know theyre prohibitive. It took me years, especially after tossing money in the saitek fire place. Im only now waiting foe MFG's and I've been eyeballing them for a good long time.

Even now at all the Saitek users that can't upgrade to Windows 10. It's not like it was a suprise to anyone that it was coming and gere they still are, no updates for their users.

Edited by xaoslaad

One of the most underrated companies in the joystick market seems to be CH Products...

Not that are underrated, but outdated: 1990's visual (at best) in their stick and in their ... "cassava replica" throttle :D, USB 1.1, 8 bit (256 points) electronics...

People today want all these Saitek, Thrustmaster lights - not that this mean quality (what CH have).

A CH Pro throttle would be a great addition to your setup and wouldn't break the bank.

An can use the CH PRO throttle mini-sick X axis to control the rudder in FC 3 aircrafts until dont buy rudder pedal, are more than sufficient for do a good taxi.

Not that are underrated, but outdated: 1990's visual (at best) in their stick and in their ...

You actually like the look of the new joysticks? I thought the marketing people had us all wrong with the look of the new stuff. Regardless of other features, I vastly prefer the look of a CH to 90% of the other stuff out there.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Awesome! That's a lot of good information. I realize one control does not fit all. I would probably being flying new aircraft but am also interested in the other controls people talk about I didn't know were there. This really helps me out a lot and I appreciate everyone's input.

You actually like the look of the new joysticks? I thought the marketing people had us all wrong with the look of the new stuff. Regardless of other features, I vastly prefer the look of a CH to 90% of the other stuff out there.

No, I dont like this "Star Wars" look (and lights) of the most new joysticks, but I know that people in general like, for these CH looks outdated (besides this electronic is really outdated), in recently topic on Reddit, the Star Citizen "pilots" complain even of CH Manager GUI visual (looks "DOS").

My preferred stick is CH Combatstick, because their extra push buttons instead HAT's, as my preferred "sim" planes are WWII for what HAT's are less important. :joystick: :D

Edited by Sokol1_br

Yeah - the mini stick works well for a rudder - I flew that way for many years - now I have to unlearn that now that I have the pedals - my thumb still moves every time I move the rudder though....

Yeah - CH hasn't really changed anything in a while - I don't think they've developed anything in a long time - just sell what they have... Still - their products work well for me and I prefer the Spartan utilitarian look of their product over the tacky new designs most companies seem to favor... CH stuff is built like a tank and even though the software is old - the programing you can do is pretty sophisticated compared to other products I've tried...

Regards,

Scott

I knew pedals wouldn't be useful to me as I'm into modern jets. So instead of buying some, I took my 10 years old momo racing wheel and pedals, removed the wheel and I now have pedals :).

By no means are they realistic/great and I'm sure they would be hell for WW2 planes...But for taxiing, they do the job : they keep your hands free. And they are enough to get you out of really nasty stalls. What I'd recommend if your going to be doing mainly modern jets would be to do like me. I'm sure you would be able to get some old ones under 20$ (can't go wrong at that price...)