First impressions of 1.5 Beta

I would advise caution here - this is the old map with the updated engine. Just wait until NTTR and the other new maps arrive, because I think they may tax your hardware far more than the current one.

Just saying - don't want too much disappointment if things get slower with 2.0 ;)

Which is the reason I don't have any interest in the new map.

Frame rate is key for me in a sim.

1.5 has basically made the Mi-8 viable for me again. Combat was off limits with the previous engine due to massive frame rate drops. So much so, I had to make a post about the difference in the Mi-8 forums.

A huge improvement.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think NTTR performance will be that bad. It's mostly desert with few trees. When Wags was streaming from NTTR, the framerate has been good. Sure, he has a beastly PC, but still.

NTTR is not only desert, you have enormous cities... but you also have a scenery designed witha tech done for this engine. So I won't expect such an hit to performances even if NTTR will have tons more object more than Black Sea.

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

NTTR is not only desert, you have enormous cities... but you also have a scenery designed witha tech done for this engine. So I won't expect such an hit to performances even if NTTR will have tons more object more than Black Sea.

That would be one city if I understand things correctly. Still, I have seen Wags fly over it on his streams and videos and performance doesn't seem to take too much of a hit above Las Vegas. I'm still optimistic :)

But then again, I'm seeing 70 - 125 fps under all types of conditions on the black sea map in the new engine, so there is a lot of headroom, if the performance were to be slightly worse on NTTR.

It's all speculation for now. But really, I care much more for frame rate than beautiful scenery. Perfectly happy with what we have now. The only thing I would really like is AI not being able to see through trees.

I want to chime in and point to all the "little changes" under the hood.

So many gorgeous changes to the Mission Editor!

-Client slots in the SAME flight! Reduces amount if trigger conditions, finally ATC gives correct feedback, etc. so great to have this fixed.

-new detailed options to tell aircraft what to do/attack or not to do/attack.

-detailed emission control and the fantastic options to prevent pre mature eja... erm, launch of missiles. Preventing a ground attack AI plane from dropping its bombs when the first radar beam hits... etc.

-the little '?' near the Group name, that shows ObjectID for scripting!

-the option to switch to Satellite Map view and plain Map view in ME

..and whatever I missed until now.

So many great fixes and additions in the ME that will help Mission Builders to create stuff to do!

Thanks ED, great job.

P.S.: ...of course EDGE is stunning, and I like the new visuals! ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

My first impressions, part 1:

EDGE is stunning. ED did an amazing job. I also like all the little things (some of them are summed by Shagrat) and of course, the new features for the F-15C and the L-39 ... awesome jet with multicrew. Thanks ED! :thumbup:

Best regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And here is the second Part:

Best regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone know why?

Because ED's servers were overloaded. They should have a torrent client up sometime today, hopefully.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Very low end PC can play with medium graphics quality with fps ranging from 30-100 (4AA, 8AF and avg. medium ingame settings). I've tripled my fps, and I'm rejoining the sim (I've been out for 2 years, couldn't play). See my sig for what a very low end pc means XD

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Just wanted to chime in.

ED did awesome job with EDGE and is looking on great path!!

:beer:

rwjycO8.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Does anyone know how to fly as a wingman of a ai plane? I cant select human pilot to a second plane

You need to change the second slot to 'client' and set LEad slot to AI Skill ('High' etc.)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I've mostly played with the blackshark, and down low the performance is not that great. I only have a GTX 560ti, so I don't expect much.

There are lots of bugs and it crashes too much to really get into any flying. Gonna try again in a couple months. Or I get a new video card. :-)

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

I've mostly played with the blackshark, and down low the performance is not that great. I only have a GTX 560ti, so I don't expect much.

There are lots of bugs and it crashes too much to really get into any flying. Gonna try again in a couple months. Or I get a new video card. :-)

I've been mostly playing with my Huey and a bit with my new toy the Hawk. Fortunately, with my 970, I'm getting 90-120s with lots of action down low. 55-60 with v-sync on. I'm very impressed with 1.5s performance at this stage of the game. Here's hoping that it can only get better from here!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Looks pretty nice yes , good performance .. Gui is good .. hopefully it will still good when 2.0 will be here . I'm very please atm. the real turn down is the FOV problem and need to have some kind of controls.

Fly it like you stole it..

Went from 50fps with high/medium settings to getting 80+fps flying in the blank North-East corner of the map. Went from 30 to 70 in the F-15 Intercept Instant Action Mission.

Well done ED. I look forward to the full non-beta releases of 1.5 and 2. It's awesome to see a game actually get significantly better performance with an update like this.

This update is phenomenal! And free...which blows my mind. I'm really enjoying. One nit-pick first impression, though. When I look at the new afterburner effect (at least on the F-15), the effect/animation is brilliant. But it seems like the plume is too short for the Eagle. The screenshot below is poor, but sort of gets the point across:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display