New Installer painfully slow

I am downloading it for past 6 hrs and reached 20% only..

I think it will take 2 to 4 days to complete the download.

One thing I don't know, is it downloading the 2.0 or both 2.0 with NTTR map.

Dcs team have to upload the torrent files as like we download other stuff like movie's not like their own version of torrent client.

I hope they will fix the speed of the installer.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YUP HTTP way better dl rate is at 127MB/s Thank god!!!

I take that back it was the first DL that went that fast. Now nevada is at 53 kb/s.. Didnt this get tested????

Edited by Apples

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 Monitors, 5 Video Cards, 90inch Flat Screen, Intel Bad Ass 2 @ 72.6Ghz, Atari Hotas!!!

:wallbash:

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

http is just the same speed for me. hovering around 10kbs. I canceled my torrent download after 6 hours and only half way... now im back to square one. I thought it would start off from where i canceled but its back to the beginning?

I was wondering the same. The first 12GB came down very fast and the next update which is 1.85GB is painfully slow at 8KB/s and after 4 hours is just 1/4 way there.

If we cancel, does it have to start again?

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

I have been downloading for hours.

It was at 17,000 MB's out of 27,000 MB's and then the next time I looked .. it was at 2,000 out of 27,000.

What's up with that ?

Super Frustrating.

I know we'll all have our downloads completed sooner or later (much later in my case), but it is a painful experience to be sure. I hope it's worth it.

SnowTiger:joystick:

and you have another 24.5gigs to go when you get the map stage....i haven't seen it go over 1 mb/s in 3 hrs for more than a couple seconds...and when you're on gig up/down fiber, its very frustrating...mind you that's with the torrent download, the http one is even slower in the 50-80 kb/s range..

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, FW-190, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, L-39 and NTTR pre purchase

PC - Core i7 6700k 4ghz, 16gb DDR4 RAM, EVGA SC GTX970 4gb, Saitek X52 Hotas + TrackIR 5

I have no doubt the Server is being taxed heavily from all of us trying to download at the same time.

The Torrent method will be effective once more and more people have everything already downloaded. Right now there are way more people trying to get the files than there are those who already have the files who can then be peers.

So as much as I dislike waiting for things, I think I'll wait a few days by which time more people will have the files to be peers AND there will be fewer taxing the server at the same time.

For those who don't have great internet connections, this is the advice I'd consider.

In this case, I'm taking my own advice.

SnowTiger:joystick:

So as much as I dislike waiting for things, I think I'll wait a few days by which time more people will have the files to be peers AND there will be fewer taxing the server at the same time.

Currently one is only a peer whilst downloading, once the download completes then is no longer a peer...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 MB/s locked for 3 hours upload and I've only seen 300 KB/s tops download. Clearly someone reversed the bandwidth values in the torrent client configuration.....

All other companies using torrents to distribute their product give bandwidth controls to the end user so that THEY (the user) decide how much of THEIR connection to dedicate for download / upload. I fully support maintaining a 1:1 or even 2:1 up to down ratio but 10:1 is hardly reasonable.

• Like 1

Mediocre without competition is still mediocre

torrents were seriously reworked in 2.6.4.30. please share your experience.

My experience is no good. I started this process at around 11:00am and i am still downloading. Why is it that my upload rate is holding steady at 1MB/s while my down rate is bouncing from 60KB/S to 100KB/S. You are capping the number of peers at 30. Most torrent software, the user is the one who controls there dl/ul rate etc. This leads me to believe this was done on purpose so people are forced to seed.. The way i see it is, you are using the customer to pass out your product for you.

I have never had to wait this long to get a product which i have paid for from a company. I hope other methods are used in the future!!

Thanks!

Edited by Apples

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 Monitors, 5 Video Cards, 90inch Flat Screen, Intel Bad Ass 2 @ 72.6Ghz, Atari Hotas!!!

torrents were seriously reworked in 2.6.4.30. please share your experience.

Experience is terrible. I was betting single digit KB/s on the Torrent so I switched to the "Old Method"

Now I'm getting 30-50 KB/s

Wow. Just Wow. Trying to stay positive but the person who decided it would be a good idea to completely change how your new product is provided...goofed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Averaging 21kb/s

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4876907498

I'm pretty sure the problem isnt on MY end...

This sucks.

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Been downloading for nearly 10 1/2 hours and I'm still not able to launch DCS 2.0 yet. Let alone NTTR.

Current download 312MB at 17KB/s

It is what it is but it wasn't this bad when 1.5 came out

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

I think some may be confused about the torrent download vs. the http download. I just downloaded the DCS 2.0 Alpha/NTTR via the torrent down loader and speed was 0.7Mbps to 2+Mbps for the first file (it was 1 or 2 GB in size). But after that was done, another down loader started, downloading a much smaller 125Mbyte update file and the download rate is 38Kbps to 50Kbps. This is not a torrent download. The slow download is using HTTP now. E.g. if I hit cancel, it will not switch to HTTP. It will just cancel the download. I assume this one is slow because the DCS servers are over loaded right now.

The BitTorrent idea has great merit, but it only works if DCS provides enough seeds, or makes it such that we all continue to seed longer than just during our download. Before the built in updates, I always used to download updates using my own Torrent client, and I was always happy with the speed. I would continue to see for several days as well as long as my computer was on.

In theory, if all the HTTP servers are seeding instead of HTTP'ing, then download should be just as fast or faster with the torrent as it is only using HTTP. But that depends on how many seeds DCS provides vs. HTTP. The benefit should come when their servers are overloaded, and seeds from end users helps fill in the gaps. But if the end user seeding ends when the download is finished, then the major benefit of using BitTorrent is lost.

Many people may not want a Torrent running in the background after they download a file. I don't mind as long as I can control the upload speed, and maybe it only continues for a short period of time (time for me to upload the data equivalent of 1 entire download or similar - like we already use as a priority mechanism for our BitTorrent clients). But I assume many people will not like this happening in the background. Give people a couple simple options to set the upload speed, or cancel it out right, and the torrent downloaders should really be a benefit, not a detriment.

I assume the DCS devs are weighing all this to figure out the best compromise.

Regards,

Michael

everyone who is complaining about speed should listen to this guy. Its just one click to get normal http no need for drama

Uhummm Yeah No. Switching to the HTTP version is just as slow.

Seriously...

Somebody needs to explain why we went from reasonable fast update speeds to 56K Dial up speeds.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

I forgot to mention, MalwareBytes always flags a lot of IP addresses when you are downloading using a torrent. It's because many people's computers have been compromised with viruses and flagged on "bad IP address" lists which Malwarebytes uses to block undesirables.

For those not using MalwareBytes (or similar), don't worry. You can't get a virus from someone's PC when downloading a bit torrent file from them. The torrent protocol makes sure of that all seeds are verified against the original seed so the file is unmodified. This protects from viruses, but more importantly, it is what guarantees an error free download. Even if MalwareBytes is blocking a few IP addresses, there should still be hundreds of other peers that don't get blocked.

Regards,

Michael

The BitTorrent idea has great merit, but it only works if DCS provides enough seeds, or makes it such that we all continue to seed longer than just during our download. Before the built in updates, I always used to download updates using my own Torrent client, and I was always happy with the speed. I would continue to see for several days as well as long as my computer was on.

In theory, if all the HTTP servers are seeding instead of HTTP'ing, then download should be just as fast or faster with the torrent as it is only using HTTP. But that depends on how many seeds DCS provides vs. HTTP. The benefit should come when their servers are overloaded, and seeds from end users helps fill in the gaps. But if the end user seeding ends when the download is finished, then the major benefit of using BitTorrent is lost.

Unfortunately torrent protocol is much more complex and predicting speeds depends a lot on what kinds of peers there are in the "swarm".

If maximum reseeding is priority, then you might get situation where host A has piece 1 and host B has piece 2 which they should transmit to each other to reduce load on "master" seed.

This would be fine if they have enough upload bandwidth, but many home users have only fast download and very slow upload (ADSL).

This means that "master" is seeding as fast as it can as many as possible, but many peers may be useless in distributing the load due to slow upload.

And this is hard to predict in "laboratory" conditions what kinds of peers there will be and how the load balancing will work out in practice.

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

Is anyone getting a reasonable speed yet?

(I'm still on the 2g update and it's taking a spell!)

I downloaded everything using Torrent, I didn't try the HTTP/FTP fallback.

IIRC the 2 GB part didn't go above 500 KB/s, and the connection was also lost a couple of times, but the next attempt picked up where it had left off, so at least there was no re-downloading the whole thing.

With the 25 GB NTTR download, the highest I saw was around 1.5 MB/s (200/100 MBit FTTH). Then I went to take a nap, and after maybe 5 hours total the download was finished.

If my math doesn't fail me, that would mean a rough average around 1.4 MB/s for the terrain download (maybe faster, it finished before I woke up again), which sounds a lot better than most people seem to get. Then again, I've had downloads from Steam at 25 MB/s (pretty much the maximum for my connection), so the DCS updater isn't quite up to par yet.