A-10C TGP display: Targets hard to see

LeCuvier

Starway's textures are much better for FLIR visibility. It's not only about the noise value, but also the textures themselves.

Actually I don't find that to be true from my experience.

I have an easier time finding targets using Barthek's textures than Starway's.

Moreover, the hot trees must be changed somehow. In the forests, there is no way to spot anything.

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I don't find that to be true from my experience.

I have an easier time finding targets using Barthek's textures than Starway's.

Moreover, the hot trees must be changed somehow. In the forests, there is no way to spot anything.

I meant compared to the vanilla textures, I also use Barthek's mod.

I meant compared to the vanilla textures, I also use Barthek's mod.

All good. Yes, Agree to that.

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

• 6 months later...

Just look how clear these images are in comparison to the shared images of the topic:

In the past, the A-10's TGP and SU-25T's LLTV were able to make targets look very similar to this video, but now..., it's a total mess, we can't see anything with the naked eye unless we are 1km away (which is pure death), we can't find anything on TGP infrared and LLTV either, we can't fight. What should we do? Use labels? The model enlargement is broken now too. I'd rather not play a mission at all than use labels to spot what should normally be easily spotted.

When you can't prove something with words, let the maths do the talking.

I have an insatiable passion for helping simulated aircraft fly realistically!

Sincerely, your flight model reviewer!

Its been a long hard topic, I gave up for now,, I have jumped back into the BlackShark for now as i am too frustrated with the current TGP characteristics. I have tried for months to make adjustments, using different terrain MODS etc. I love the HOG! Just have to wait for FLIR fix,, who knows when that will be resolved?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Just look how clear these images are in comparison to the shared images of the topic:

In the past, the A-10's TGP and SU-25T's LLTV were able to make targets look very similar to this video, but now..., it's a total mess, we can't see anything with the naked eye unless we are 1km away (which is pure death), we can't find anything on TGP infrared and LLTV either, we can't fight. What should we do? Use labels? The model enlargement is broken now too. I'd rather not play a mission at all than use labels to spot what should normally be easily spotted.

I hope that when the new system they are making comes out its an actual thermal based system and its dynamic similar to another land based simulator/game.

Currently its not based on thermals at all.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Ahhh,,,,, waiting for the F-18,,,,, yeah,,,, ummm,,,,,thats a little concerning,,, should I go back to PacMan?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Ahhh,,,,, waiting for the F-18,,,,, yeah,,,, ummm,,,,,thats a little concerning,,, should I go back to PacMan?

Ya i have allot to say but its not allowed in this forum. But its frustrating this stuff gets pushed to the right and ww2 stuff seems to be the focus.... I would rather the current air frames we have be fully functional rather than the state they are in now..

I understand the issue. Hawg is the main reason I started DCS in the first place. Let's be patient. It is very possible DCS 2.5 has what we need here. :)

Come join a passionate community of flight simmers everyday, live at

16hnv2f.png

PC Specs

Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7

Corsair Vengeance LED 2666MHz 32GB DDR4

H115i 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA GeForce 980Ti Hybrid (built-in liquid cooling)

EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+Gold

Samsung NVMe 950PRO M.2 SSD 512GBx2

I agree with Enduro14 when he says the focus seems to be on WW2 stuff. I have tried some of the WW2 aircraft out (FW190 and Spitfire), but it's not why I started with DCS years ago. Rolling on the ground with these planes is a pain in the ass in my opinion. Especially the Spitfire drives me crazy, because I can't use the toebrakes of my Crosswind with it. WW2 is not my world, as said before and if I could choose again, I wouldn't buy these modules anymore.

Now this is just my personal opinion, but instead of developing a new WW2 map and aircraft, ED should have concentrated on bringing out DCS 2.5 in a reasonable time.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

We might want to keep the focus of this thread on the TGP before the boss shows up. Lets hope for something soon that we can at least fiddle with. Making adjustments in the lua script for noisemax etc no longer makes much of an improvement so standing by,,,,,

Same issue here.... In 2.04.

Indeed, in 1.2.xx it was far better.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

Ya i have allot to say but its not allowed in this forum. But its frustrating this stuff gets pushed to the right and ww2 stuff seems to be the focus.... I would rather the current air frames we have be fully functional rather than the state they are in now..

A bit off topic but,

In the F-18 discussion thread there was a big discussion about this. This is what Sith eventually said (paraphrased). "The newsletter was from the world war 2 team working on Normandy not from the F-18 team working on WW2. The WW2 team had updates to share and the F-18 team didn't, so no F-18 news in that newsletter." It's not being pushed aside, there are two separate teams and now Belsimtek is helping with the Hornet as well, meaning you'll get it sooner.

Anyways back to the topic, I certainly hope we get realistic FLIR in the future and as said it'll probably be with the F-18. And I do agree, I wish that the current airframes were fully functional.

Edited by JDarksword

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.

A bit off topic but,

In the F-18 discussion thread there was a big discussion about this. This is what Sith eventually said (paraphrased). "The newsletter was from the world war 2 team working on Normandy not from the F-18 team working on WW2. The WW2 team had updates to share and the F-18 team didn't, so no F-18 news in that newsletter." It's not being pushed aside, there are two separate teams and now Belsimtek is helping with the Hornet as well, meaning you'll get it sooner.

Anyways back to the topic, I certainly hope we get realistic FLIR in the future and as said it'll probably be with the F-18. And I do agree, I wish that the current airframes were fully functional.

Yup when your not in the know you look like an idiot when you get emotional about these things as i did. Apologies and glad its a multi team effort. Look forward to the future.

I haven't been flying much due to work so the Christmas holidays gave me lots of time (not enough) to fly. I hopped into my trusty Hog ready to demo just how an insane killer this bird is to my son-in-law.

He now thinks I'm a nut case and can't tie my own shoes.

My god, none of the buttons worked as I remembered! I push the landing gear lever down and the windshield wipers turned on. I was going to land but discovered it doesn't land well on water. I was going to shoot a T-72 to pieces only to find that when I pulled over, the cops were waiting for me.

No, I don't drink: I'm just that bad of a pilot in a plane I haven't flown in 3 or 4 months!

What has happened to my fingers? Or is it actually my brain has been disconnected for lack of payment?????

Seriously, though. I found that the TGP has always had some unrealistic display characteristics. I, of course, have watched many times the YT vids recorded from Afghanistan and the like. No similarities almost.

I think, like most here, that 2.5 will have addressed this to the point where we can use the TGP a bit more realistically.

And, like most here have said, we'll see.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

• 1 month later...

Are there any plans to fix it in DCS 2.5?

The TGP is useless if this contrast issue not fixed.

You are effective only with JTAC.

After 6 years from release date, no solution this yet.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

While I share your desire to see this problem addressed, I think it only fair to point out that the TGP FLIR issues were introduced in DCS 1.5 as I recall it, meaning they're a little over 1 year old (1 year, 2 months judging by the first post in this thread).

And you can't say ED haven't been hard at work, with Nevada and a bunch of Warbirds released in the meantime, while also supporting 3rd party aircraft and campaign developers and continuing work on new terrains and aircraft themselves.

I guess it's one of many, many items on an impressively big ToDo list, and one that doesn't warrant a workaround since it was already stated that the entire FLIR modelling is supposed to be reworked eventually.

Are there any plans to fix it in DCS 2.5?

The TGP is useless if this contrast issue not fixed.

You are effective only with JTAC.

Perhaps you are not using the TGP correctly? While not perfect, I use the TGP quite often with good results...

Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

The terrain mods out there help with the TGP a lot.

Which terrain mod? Can you point us to a specific post?

I have played A-10C for years and the TGP worked fine. But since the FLIR problem started I have almost totally abandoned this fine aircraft.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I think it needs a tweak for running or just stopped vehicles, not a major change and not overdone like some "games". It's not far off now for "cold vehicles" I would also like to think if you where in a tank and the air defenses (CAP) was down and A-10C's were flying around, you would go into a defensive position. Cold, dark and hide my ass with camouflage the best I could.

I totally get it if you just want to blink tanks, like in Iraq with no where to hide. Other than that I would try, like my life depended on it to make it as hard as I could, not to be found and certainly not sit in the middle of a field.

So I hope ED just tweaks the running of hot vehicles and perhaps only tweak the other settings perhaps a little only.

flir-cold1.jpg

DCS 1.5.6.1648

Starway textures

flir-A10.jpg

NTTR

The ground textures seem to have a lot to do with the FLIR Spotting, much better on the NTTR map, perhaps this will be better in 2.5 with the new Caucasus ground textures?

flir-A10-alfa.jpg

Sources

Apache

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BArp6RVgZ9k

Tank Camouflage - How Effective Is It?

FLIR Factory Trip and Thermal Discussion

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

You may have read thru this post and found that not everyone has good Contrast from the TGP, I am also one of them per my postings,, I'm not alone. what your asking for is icing on the cake that is not finished being cooked yet. Lets hope the TGP gets resolved soon, then we can start a wish list.

You may have read thru this post and found that not everyone has good Contrast from the TGP, I am also one of them per my postings,, I'm not alone. what your asking for is icing on the cake that is not finished being cooked yet. Lets hope the TGP gets resolved soon, then we can start a wish list.

Perhaps a bit wishful (Hot / Cold layer)...From what I can see the main thing for now is just to remove more noise from the ground textures. I put the images up so you can compare IRL to DCS.

As you can see it is very close, the ground is what I see that's very off compared to the IRL images. Especially take a closer look at the Apache vehicle image above. The vehicle is good, it's the ground with less noise.

Has anyone ask Starway if there is a layer in the dds files to cut this noise out?

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Wasn't this already discussed here? Somewhere...

DCS/Config/Terrain/

Go into the file Low.lua, High.lua, Ultra.lua, Extreme.lua (depending on your in-game setting). Play with the noise values.

There was a terrain mod thread (unsure which one) where they found good values. Unfortunately a quick search was unsuccessful for me.