AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

hello guys,

i've got some questions concerning the harrier:)

- Is the av-8b Plus version (with radar and amraam) considered to be multi-role aircraft? since it probably isn't comparable to contemporary fighters, would it - in reality - still be used in an AA role of some sorts?

Or in other words, can the amraam be considered a mere bonus, that came with the radar upgrade, or did it actually change it to some kind of multi-role aircraft?

- how do usmc aircrafts get used in combat? i'm asking, because it seems that in modern conflicts the heavy lifting is done by the airforce and navy. would usmc aviation mainly be used in direct support of usmc naval/ground operations and therefore be less prone to media coverage than the other branches of us military aviation, that have a broader mission spectrum?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello guys,

- Is the av-8b Plus version (with radar and amraam) considered to be multi-role aircraft? since it probably isn't comparable to contemporary fighters, would it - in reality - still be used in an AA role of some sorts?

Or in other words, can the amraam be considered a mere bonus, that came with the radar upgrade, or did it actually change it to some kind of multi-role aircraft?

- how do usmc aircrafts get used in combat? i'm asking, because it seems that in modern conflicts the heavy lifting is done by the airforce and navy. would usmc aviation mainly be used in direct support of usmc naval/ground operations and therefore be less prone to media coverage than the other branches of us military aviation, that have a broader mission spectrum?

This is what I know about USMC aviation:

The PLUS is still considered a CAS aircraft with secondary Fleet Defense capability, thus the AIM-120s. So, it is an attack aircraft first and fighter second, with or without radar.

All USMC aircraft are considered CAS, in the same way that every single marine is a rifleman. They are used to provide support to the marines in the ground. They are not supposed to be out there in the blue yonder hunting for enemy planes. That is why Mig hunts were done by both the USAF and the US Navy but not by the USMC.

Yes, USMC aviators can fight with the best but they are not supposed to do so.

I'll be happy if somebody else can tell me if I am right or wrong.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

hello guys,

Amraam bonus.

AN\APG-65

The current Radar/Night Attack Harrier, or Harrier II+, has all the improvements of the Night Attack aircraft plus the AN/APG-65 multi-mode radar. The fusion of night and radar capabilities allows the Harrier to be responsive to the MAGTF's needs for expeditionary, night and adverse weather, offensive air support. The AN/APG-65(V)2 tactical airborne radar system is based on existing specifications for F/A-18 Aircraft; it provides the AV-8B multi-target tracking capability and the ability to perform air-to-air and air-to surface weapons delivery in conditions of marginal visibility, day or night.

In the Radar Aircraft, the AN/APG-65(V)2 Radar System is based on the existing specifications for F/A-18 Aircraft, but tailored for AV-8B missions. Current AV-8B specifications for the radar include a downsized antenna, two modified Shop Replaceable Assemblies (SRA), and commonality with existing items to the maximum extent without compromising performance or mission reliability. The radar modes originally developed in the F/A-18 AN/APG-65(V)2 Radar System were retained, and provide the Radar Aircraft, in conjunction with the Radar Aircraft’s night-attack systems, extended tracking capabilities to perform air-to-air and air-to-surface operations in marginal visibility conditions, day or night. The AN/APG-65(V)2 Radar is a tactical airborne radar system developed by Hughes, Inc.

Онлайн-MG:joystick:

"Страшнее Шилки зверя нет".

"ПИСДРУНС СС ПП".

"Носи ППК с молоду-любить будешь до старости".

"СА-Танки решают все!"

"- А мы, старшина, ни за первую и не за вторую… Мы – за третью. За эту… За как её?.. За Родину!"

__|77|________:::::: =}-

\~~~~~~~~~/~~~~~~~ NAVAL AVIATION FAN ~~~~~~~

-Question

AI VTOL use FARP?

"ПИСДРУНС СС ПП".

"СА-Танки решают все!"

"- А мы, старшина, ни за первую и не за вторую… Мы – за третью. За эту… За как её?.. За Родину!"

-Question

AI VTOL use FARP?

At this time there is no AI VTOL since there is no SMF vectorial thrust. ED will develop one but I don't know the status of that project.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

This is what I know about USMC aviation:

The PLUS is still considered a CAS aircraft with secondary Fleet Defense capability, thus the AIM-120s. So, it is an attack aircraft first and fighter second, with or without radar.

All USMC aircraft are considered CAS, in the same way that every single marine is a rifleman. They are used to provide support to the marines in the ground. They are not supposed to be out there in the blue yonder hunting for enemy planes. That is why Mig hunts were done by both the USAF and the US Navy but not by the USMC.

Yes, USMC aviators can fight with the best but they are not supposed to do so.

I'll be happy if somebody else can tell me if I am right or wrong.

I think that was pretty well put Zeus. You often hear the pilots talking about looking out for their brothers on the ground. Even when you go to the airshows and during the MAGTF demonstrations the Harrier is primarily running CAS for the boys on the ground and F/A-18 is used to sweep the skies.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

At this time there is no AI VTOL since there is no SMF vectorial thrust. ED will develop one but I don't know the status of that project.

Just out of idle curiosity, do you see this as something that will hold up a potential campaign in the future?

Thanks.

2.Fuel tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUM7qF5L2tQ

On many videos about the AV-8B, the fuel tanks are suspended to other points

3.Use V\STOL Optical landing system in Tarawa? https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3138572&postcount=416 (можно не сразу).

4.Smoke thrust . When water is supplied to the engine VTOL mode?

Edited by ALF7

"ПИСДРУНС СС ПП".

"СА-Танки решают все!"

More progress pictures :thumbup:https://www.facebook.com/RazbamSims/photos/pcb.1352845144802120/1352844798135488/?type=3&theater

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the nose area has changed to the updated model?

Yes, the AV-8B NA model is undergoing a rhinoplasty right now.

Out of day surgery now?:D

Well done:thumbup:

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

Yes, the AV-8B NA model is undergoing a rhinoplasty right now.

lol I totaly forgot about Dolphinplasty's I had to go watch that clip after reading this :megalol:

Would be nice to have the pics linked in other place as well. FB is a complete pain for viewing pictures.

Aw sorry man I'm too lazy to do that stuff :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Would be nice to have the pics linked in other place as well. FB is a complete pain for viewing pictures.

As requested:

18699403_1352844798135488_3009849291299965122_o.jpg?oh=4e9e6625aec30da9ac8d551400e3f64f&oe=59B99EC0&__gda__=1503670814_3c930dfbb8d68720e0ade276e926f785

18589132_1352844811468820_3972788284184606027_o.jpg?oh=3063bb766cc169e60b45d570d57700f3&oe=59B30E68

18623292_1352844831468818_6573250714388873031_o.jpg?oh=fc94e65e87b1eaf84d729d0cc295c2c7&oe=59BE8C9B

18620521_1352844858135482_7212132280666505642_o.jpg?oh=55d9b685678e4be0f14e6137baab606e&oe=59A34312&__gda__=1504244940_621b3a61448ced39979e888eae338b1e

18620706_1352845081468793_3320307285135713765_o.jpg?oh=5c6cd6b073b2a7894852dbcfc516fd30&oe=59AAAC01

For the rest you will have to go to FB.

As requested:

For the rest you will have to go to FB.

Those day pictures, looks like real photos, source please :D Looking good!

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

b e a utiful.. can't wait.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

Progress on the harrier looks good !

Do you plan to release it in an early state like the mirage ?

Also, is there any kind of time frame or estimation of release date you can communicate us yet ?

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."

Progress on the harrier looks good !

Do you plan to release it in an early state like the mirage ?

Also, is there any kind of time frame or estimation of release date you can communicate us yet ?

It has been stated to be released in Q3 this year. So around 4 months remaining.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

thanks man, it looks better and better. The skin was still a placeholder right?

Oh and something else, is there a plan to model MK80 bomb variants with the fire retardant coating? I would guess ED might make them for the Hornet, but the Av8 would use those as well right?

Edited by iLOVEwindmills

thanks man, it looks better and better. The skin was still a placeholder right?

Oh and something else, is there a plan to model MK80 bomb variants with the fire retardant coating? I would guess ED might make them for the Hornet, but the Av8 would use those as well right?

From FB sneakpeak

18558990_1348901871863114_8041245161683277942_o.thumb.jpg.71c02f4fc50caff5d0148d2f65978c2a.jpg

18581994_10209785458220931_2819057910610650440_n.jpg.b19eb5d1198f6561e9f2046d49e47b45.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From FB sneakpeak

that's one sexy muthaf*****.... :D

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro