AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone willing to share their in game control profile on a warthog for the harrier? even if its target script thats fine.
I advice homefries profiles expecially if you have also TM mfd...look for It in the forum

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A5010 utilizzando Tapatalk

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

When is the AV-8B Harrier SALE 50% OFF??????
A couple months after the Release? Just a guess... Currently it is in development and available as Early Access.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Just Curious

Wondering if we are going to have any other cluster munitions available in the future besides the MK-20. In the NATOPS as well as other sources there are several different types of Cluster munitions available to the Harrier. Wondering with the limitations of the MK-20 in game with burst diameter and spread compared to the SFW on the A-10C in game. I know the CBU-87/97 is used in the manuals. any SFW plans for the harrier ? I am referencing pages 233-237 of this thread. Also the MK-77 is referenced also. I know other developers have been slightly able to get around some of the limitations of the engine with coding, wondering if we had any more variety of CBU in the plans.

Thanks

Couple quick questions:

The manual just says to set the Water . . . AS REQUIRED, when taking off.

I assume H2O switch should be up to TO (Takeoff)? Always, not 'As Required'?

When do you set the Flaps to Auto or Cruise? VTOL is for takeoff and landing, but what are the situations for Auto or Cruise?

It also says 'Check flaps at approximately 62°'. Is that STOL, and how do you check that angle?

Thanks!

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Couple quick questions:

When do you set the Flaps to Auto or Cruise? VTOL is for takeoff and landing, but what are the situations for Auto or Cruise?

Thanks!

Think of the water as a temporary "boost" to your engine. If you're at or close to (or over ;)) the weight restrictions of what you're doing, you'll want to use it to get that extra oomph. If you don't need it, well, then you don't need it.

Personally if I don't need it I enable it and then keep the throttle below the point where it kicks in (a "W" lights up on the HUD and front-right panel when it's active) because it's good to have it ready if anything goes wrong.

As for flaps, VTOL is for those kind of landings, but not all takeoffs/landings. If I want to do a runway takeoff at a higher speed I'll keep it at auto for 25' flaps but still use 40-60' nozzles to lift off without the (at that speed) unnecessary drag of VTOL flaps.

Same for landing, sometimes if you're doing a landing at a higher speed you'll get surprised by the VTOL flaps that kick in when you drop to a certain airspeed (and look quite silly as your aircraft starts gaining altitude rapidly), so you don't always want them.

But yes, for VTOL or most STOL you want them.

Auto modulates the flap positioning depending on airspeed - and I suspect stick input and attitude as well - so it's good at giving you a helping hand at lower airspeeds or sharp maneuvers.

Cruise is pretty much for that, level flight at higher speeds , and will give you fewer surprises since it wont affect your flying or trimming by introducing flaps at any point.

As for the 62' angle, when VTOL mode is enabled and VTOL flaps are on, you will see a flap angle indicator on the bottom-right of the HUD indicating the flap position which varies depending on your nozzle angle. Things get really awkward if you forgot to check that it correctly goes into VTOL flaps and instead try to take off from a carrier with only 25' flaps for a quick swim.

• Like 1

Thank you Sephyrius!! I love understanding the theory and why of what I'm learning. That is good info! Cheers mate!

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

Couple quick questions:

It also says 'Check flaps at approximately 62°'. Is that STOL, and how do you check that angle?

Thanks!

Most of the flap/nozzle usage is detailed in the NATOPS manual. The Harrier has about 4 different types of takeoffs and 5 different types of landings, which are going to require different flap settings. Cruise Flaps are also apparently needed when refueling.

Most of what you put is fine, but I'll just add a bit more info to help.

Think of the water as a temporary "boost" to your engine. If you're at or close to (or over ;)) the weight restrictions of what you're doing, you'll want to use it to get that extra oomph. If you don't need it, well, then you don't need it.

Personally if I don't need it I enable it and then keep the throttle below the point where it kicks in (a "W" lights up on the HUD and front-right panel when it's active) because it's good to have it ready if anything goes wrong.

Eventually we'll get an MFD page 'VREST' that will take all the guess work out of this. It calculates the maximum weights we can perform each type of takeoff/landing (with and without water) as well as instantaneous gross weight so you can see if you're over/underweight for each.

Same for landing, sometimes if you're doing a landing at a higher speed you'll get surprised by the VTOL flaps that kick in when you drop to a certain airspeed (and look quite silly as your aircraft starts gaining altitude rapidly), so you don't always want them.

VTOL flaps won't 'kick in'. With nozzles fully aft, if you move the flap switch to STO then flaps will only deploy to 25. If you leave the flaps in auto, as soon as you lower the gear the flaps will also deploy to 25 too, so either way your flaps are lowering. No need to fear the STO flap setting.

Good to know. Looking forward to that MFD page. ;-)

Hello to all.

Yesterday there has been an appreciated upgrade to the Hornet through the Hotfix 3 in DCS Wordl 2.5. There I can read textually "Added EHSD Moving Map (Work-in-Progress)". I did the upgrade, after I played the Harried but the EHSD still doesn't have a moving map. When I click in EHSD page on the left "maps"..there is written "no map". Someone can help me to understand? Do I do something wrong ? thanks . Fabio

Hello to all.

Yesterday there has been an appreciated upgrade to the Hornet through the Hotfix 3 in DCS Wordl 2.5. There I can read textually "Added EHSD Moving Map (Work-in-Progress)". I did the upgrade, after I played the Harried but the EHSD still doesn't have a moving map. When I click in EHSD page on the left "maps"..there is written "no map". Someone can help me to understand? Do I do something wrong ? thanks . Fabio

It is work in progress.....that page is only a placeholder

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A5010 utilizzando Tapatalk

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hello to all.

Hotfix 3 patch notes for Harrier are outdated and refer to previous patches: the Moving Map MFD page has been introduced weeks ago and it hasn't been updated yet. Good news though, Hotfix 3 has introduced APs functionality for the Harrier, and they actually work quite well; I guess we'll see them mentioned in HF4's patch notes..

Also, as you said "Added EHSD Moving Map (Work-in-Progress)". Some stuff might work, some might not. If it ware working you should have found pics of it all over the place :)

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

Hotfix 3 patch notes for Harrier are outdated and refer to previous patches: the Moving Map MFD page has been introduced weeks ago and it hasn't been updated yet. Good news though, Hotfix 3 has introduced APs functionality for the Harrier, and they actually work quite well; I guess we'll see them mentioned in HF4's patch notes..

Also, as you said "Added EHSD Moving Map (Work-in-Progress)". Some stuff might work, some might not. If it ware working you should have found pics of it all over the place :)

Hello. Thanks for your kind answer first of all. But I didn't understand what you mean with "introduced APs functionality for the Harrier". What is the Aps functionality introduced? Auto Pilot maybe ? And where I can find it ?

Thanks

Fabio

What factors/criteria needs to be met to get solid crosshairs for CCIP? I tend to get the solid crosshairs inconsistently so I mostly drop my bombs on the dotted crosshairs, which is inaccurate. I try to fly straight/level with speeds between 450-550 knots.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I've had good consistency getting a solid CCIP solution when bombing between 30-50°, so long as I retard the throttle to idle/near idle and apply forward stick to keep the FPM at a stable angle. Before rolling in for the attack run I'm usually around T450-460kts.

I've had good consistency getting a solid CCIP solution when bombing between 30-50°, so long as I retard the throttle to idle/near idle and apply forward stick to keep the FPM at a stable angle. Before rolling in for the attack run I'm usually around T450-460kts.

Thanks for the dive attack tips. I'll try that when practicing. What about level flight? I just don't understand whats needed for the solid crosshairs for level flight.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Thanks for the dive attack tips. I'll try that when practicing. What about level flight? I just don't understand whats needed for the solid crosshairs for level flight.
Steady parameters for a couple seconds, for the ARBS to calculate... No time to look up the exact parameters in the NATOPS manual, but I'm sure they are in there.

The key is to fly a proper bomb triangle/approach and put the nose/velocity vector behind(!) the target and let the plane fly the crosshairs through the target after leveling out, instead of trying to make last seconds adjustments... Easier said than done, I know. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)