Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

.. and southern England, and North Africa, and the Benelux, and GERMANY, and RUSSIA, and Italy, and the Pacific is huge, and I'll be dead before all of this is covered properly :cry:
Definitely :lol: :lol: :lol:. But lets be positive, even though incomplete because many sceneries would be desirable we will be able to fly over all the theatres already released after retirement, Normandy probably, and luckily even Iwo Jima :D.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

.. and southern England, and North Africa, and the Benelux, and GERMANY, and RUSSIA, and Italy, and the Pacific is huge, and I'll be dead before all of this is covered properly :cry:

If you want all of that, unless you are young, it seems likely. ;)

Seriously, I doubt that all of that will ever exist, modelled specifically for WWII.

How long have some other sims been working on WWII, and how much of that territory do they include.

EDIT: The full range of the PTO, alone, could take many years to do justice to.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I would not be so negative. Once the graphic engine and tools are there to do maps I think it will be much more quick to become new maps.:music_whistling:

| I9 9900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO] |16 GB DDR4 HyperX 3466 MHz | SSD EVO 840 1 TB | MSI 2080TI GAMING X TRIO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27" 2560 X 1440 | TRACK IR 5 | THERMALTAKE CORE X9 | HOTAS WARTHOG |MFG CROSSWIND|

They are there already, just not publicly.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

They are there already, just not publicly.

Well, if the Normandy map doesn't yet have Southern England I'd be happy if a flat generic strip could be added, say 20 miles deep, with just coastline if the map tools will allow us to lay down our own fields for now in ME.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Well, if the Normandy map doesn't yet have Southern England I'd be happy if a flat generic strip could be added, say 20 miles deep, with just coastline if the map tools will allow us to lay down our own fields for now in ME.

the maps tools only have available to the approved 3rd parties, not free to the community. Actually have a stub of grass runway on the mission editor, surely can be use in the future to build "improvised" runways on DCS: W map.

the maps tools only have available to the approved 3rd parties, not free to the community. Actually have a stub of grass runway on the mission editor, surely can be use in the future to build "improvised" runways on DCS: W map.

Yes, even that, but at the moment it isn't working (well, I tried in in NTTR up around Fallon).

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Yes, even that, but at the moment it isn't working (well, I tried in in NTTR up around Fallon).

The initial code is there, but not 100% implemented.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

.. and I'll be dead before all of this is covered properly ..

I also have this concern. :(

Thank you. I appreciate your concern..oh ... you probably meant ... you, and not me ... ummm.. ah.ha.ha... embarrassed-smiley17.gif

:doh:

Edited by Captain Orso

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

.. and southern England, and North Africa, and the Benelux, and GERMANY, and RUSSIA, and Italy, and the Pacific is huge, and I'll be dead before all of this is covered properly cry.gif

Definitely :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Not%20Sure%20If%20ED%20Is%20That%20Slow.jpg

But lets be positive, even though incomplete because many sceneries would be desirable we will be able to fly over all the theatres already released after retirement, Normandy probably, and luckily even Iwo Jima :D.

S!

I retire in less than 10 years, so.... it might be close laughinghysterically.gif

Edited by Captain Orso

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

If you want all of that, unless you are young, it seems likely. ;)

Seriously, I doubt that all of that will ever exist, modelled specifically for WWII.

How long have some other sims been working on WWII, and how much of that territory do they include.

EDIT: The full range of the PTO, alone, could take many years to do justice to.

Honestly, I think doing a large section of the Pacific would be easier than a large section of Europe.

Check google maps for how large a map would have to be to cover all of the Solomon Islands, including New Caledonia and Vanuatu, and only the eastern half of New Guinea up to Jayapura. It would make about a 3x4 box with a diagonal of about 2450 miles. That is about the same distance as from Glasgow to Cairo!! and most of it is just water.

Just covering From San Cristobal to enough of New Guinea to include Port Moresby and Rabaul would require a 1x2 box with a diagonal of about 1300 mile, again of which most of it would be water.

And that's just one small section of the Pacific. There are much larger section with far less land over which was also fought.

Probably the most extreme and easy map would be Midway Island. You would have hundreds of miles in every direction of just water with two tiny peaces of land about in the middle or so. Bwah!! that would take all of an afternoon to create :D

Once DCS World 2.5 is out, and if it has a reasonable tool to make maps, we may see a lot of new areas. I know for some game engines there are tools to import an exported section of google maps or earth, and since terrain rarely changes, it would be easy to use something like that to create a basis, which could then be updated to resemble the actual time period. Of course if you throw a bunch of major cities into the picture like in the Ruhr Valley you will have a lot of work ahead of yourself. That's what will really kill the proliferation of European maps, I think.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I hope there will be any kind of public support for map creation once 2.5 is finished. There is a great plenty of freely available Geodata out there, as there are powerful tools to manipulate it. Like QGIS.

Northern Africa between the Cyrenaica and Egypt would be another candidate for a historically significant but sparsely inhabited map that would not require to model any large or numerous cities with hundreds of landmarks.

• ED Team

Pacific map is already planned by LNS.

Honestly, I think doing a large section of the Pacific would be easier than a large section of Europe.

Check google maps for how large a map would have to be to cover all of the Solomon Islands, including New Caledonia and Vanuatu, and only the eastern half of New Guinea up to Jayapura. It would make about a 3x4 box with a diagonal of about 2450 miles. That is about the same distance as from Glasgow to Cairo!! and most of it is just water.

Just covering From San Cristobal to enough of New Guinea to include Port Moresby and Rabaul would require a 1x2 box with a diagonal of about 1300 mile, again of which most of it would be water.

And that's just one small section of the Pacific. There are much larger section with far less land over which was also fought.

Probably the most extreme and easy map would be Midway Island. You would have hundreds of miles in every direction of just water with two tiny peaces of land about in the middle or so. Bwah!! that would take all of an afternoon to create :D

Once DCS World 2.5 is out, and if it has a reasonable tool to make maps, we may see a lot of new areas. I know for some game engines there are tools to import an exported section of google maps or earth, and since terrain rarely changes, it would be easy to use something like that to create a basis, which could then be updated to resemble the actual time period. Of course if you throw a bunch of major cities into the picture like in the Ruhr Valley you will have a lot of work ahead of yourself. That's what will really kill the proliferation of European maps, I think.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I guess that's why 1C will use exactly this area for their upcoming first Pacific-related sim :D. Which means I don't expect anyone developing it for DCS. There are plenty of other islands to choose from, however, as seen in aforementioned LN endeavour.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I guess that's why 1C will use exactly this area for their upcoming first Pacific-related sim :D. Which means I don't expect anyone developing it for DCS. There are plenty of other islands to choose from, however, as seen in aforementioned LN endeavour.

Pffff! When ED eventually realize their policy is wrong and release those tools to the public I will jump on it myself.

I have already prepared the 1m resolution altitude mesh of Midway (and Wake with the atolls around it) on my PC, filled the holes in a GIS, smoothed the surface, converted it to triangles, and noted the building positions (not many) on a map. Ready to go for the rest of the toolchain.

Most likely that will mean get it into 3DsMax and adding roads and stuff (not many). Then export with special ED tools, probably with some configuration file for the airport properties.

Can't wait.

• ED Team
Pffff! When ED eventually realize their policy is wrong and release those tools to the public I will jump on it myself.

I have already prepared the 1m resolution altitude mesh of Midway (and Wake with the atolls around it) on my PC, filled the holes in a GIS, smoothed the surface, converted it to triangles, and noted the building positions (not many) on a map. Ready to go for the rest of the toolchain.

Most likely that will mean get it into 3DsMax and adding roads and stuff (not many). Then export with special ED tools, probably with some configuration file for the airport properties.

Can't wait.

Sounds like you have a good grasp on what map creation might take, why not approach ED with what you can do. Will be much faster than waiting for the tools to be given away publicly.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Since a 3rd party license will likely require contracts, deadlines, and spending money on it, I'll probably pass.

I did talk to an existing third party about it though, and maybe there will be an opportunity to work on it at some point in the future. But they are busy right now, so not going to happen soon I guess.

Pacific map is already planned by LNS.

Yes, but all I've been able to ascertain is that they will be doing Iwo Jima. I don't think there was much air combat over Iwo Jima. annoyed.gif

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Yes, but all I've been able to ascertain is that they will be doing Iwo Jima. I don't think there was much air combat over Iwo Jima. annoyed.gif
There was a lot of air combat over Iwo Jima. They had to before landings. Anyway, that's not important IMHO, like in any simulator we'll combat a hundred thousand times more than reality whichever the map :thumbup:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Well, that's something then :D

I just think in general, one could get a lot more use out of a map of the Solomons, or the Philippines---some place where fighting went on for a much longer period, with attacks in both directions, originating from both land and carriers from both sides, than a battle which is very limited in scope---but I guess we've got to start somewhere.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• ED Team
Well, that's something then :D

I just think in general, one could get a lot more use out of a map of the Solomons, or the Philippines---some place where fighting went on for a much longer period, with attacks in both directions, originating from both land and carriers from both sides, than a battle which is very limited in scope---but I guess we've got to start somewhere.

I disagree, perhaps it would be limited by historical missions, but everything else beyond that needs some place to take off and land, and units in between...

THAT said... lets get back to discussing the topic, which is the Normandy Map.

64Sig.png