Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

Server hosters just have to make sure to include a list of required DLCs in the server name. Maybe we should be productive and as a community come up with a nice schema and communicate that to the MP playerbase.

Maybe ED could also use that schema to mark which DLCs are required for campaigns, so that people don't buy campaigns without having all the required modules and addons and asset packs. This could become more complex in the future.

The fracturing of the community...

fracturing of the community ???

all the modules: all the different maps, all the flyable aircrafts are fracturing the community - if i follow your thread/uptake

dont be blind, you have got more choices what, how and where to "play"

and i does not want to repeat myself but fortunately this REALLY fracturing plan wont be happen: "dont forget, RRG-Ilya wanted to realize this DCS-Normandy project as a completely seperated program in 2014"

sign-pic4.jpg

Actually selling the AI units separately makes sense, assuming they will work with the 1.5.X Caucassus map on release. I think quite a few people will not make the switch to 2.X Alpha as soon as it's available, but will instead wait for the 2.5 Merge. While they wait for the Merge, they might as well use WWII units and scenarios on the stable release branch.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Let me ask people this - if ED had simplified the options by charging $47.99 pre release ($59.99)for the map, including all assets, would you have an issue with that?

$59.99 is the same price as other current modules (F-5, AJS-37, L-39)

Nevada, a map without additional units is priced at $49.99

I don't think anyone can take issue with the Normandy price, without taking issue with ED's pricing more broadly.

But here's the thing...

In 2017 I have already spent around $100 for two modules, $350 odd for a Gunfighter Pro, and $200 for a jetseat. My friend who is a 777 pilot came and used my home setup yesterday. I asked him what he thought - he said it's pretty accurate and a hell of a lot cheaper than professional sim time, let alone paying for Avgas and classes.

I might have spent $2000 on DCS related purchases so far. My GF has spent more in vet bills for our Labrador this year. She does it because she loves Poppy the dog, and I love simming (and the dog)

It's a hobby. Normandy is an option to those who want to fly the sim in an authentic WW2 environment, not a prerequisite to enjoy the sim. ED even let you have the map without the units, either/or.

Hard to take issue with that - I dare say most of us will just pay the $47.99 between complaining about it on the forums anyway ;)

Edited by hughlb
  • Like 1

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think, that the most ppl. complain over the price, they complain about the split between Map DLC and Unit DLC - and the 'option' about a split MP community.

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

Honestly, 1 day is too much of a wait when the goodies look this good, am I right? :)

So very true sir!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Let me ask people this - if ED had simplified the options by charging $47.99 pre release ($59.99)for the map, including all assets, would you have an issue with that?

I think people would probably have less problems with that pricing scheme. The pricing is not at issue for most. I think a lot of percieved problems stem from the fact that ED decided to charge for a unit pack, many probably hoped that the units would be a free addon to DCS World, since ED have never charged for any AI units previously, and that everyone would be able to use them in their missions, servers, campaigns etc without worrying about whether other people have installed the pack or not.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

It must be awful having choices! You can either take the offer or leave it as far as I can see. So what if they chose to separate the map and units? It could be argued that people with no interest in WW2 could just buy the map, and be happy. It could also be said that some people might want just the units to use on the Caucasus map. Guess what? They're happy this way, but would not be happy if it was all bundled.

It just confirms the saying - you can please all the people some of the time, and please some of the people all the time. You just can't please all the people all the time.

Still, I suppose we should all be thankful that this is all we have to moan about. Just imagine if you had real things to complain about!

• ED Team

Guys while we understand this is a hot topic please keep the discussion around the Normandy Map

also if you are not sure of the forum rules please take a look before posting

https://forums.eagle.ru/rules.php#en

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I don't think, that the most ppl. complain over the price, they complain about the split between Map DLC and Unit DLC - and the 'option' about a split MP community.

True. But that split hasn't happened yet, if it happens at all.

The crux of that concern is about cost. Which is why I asked the question about simplifying the buying options.

Yep, sorry BIGNEWY, I'm OT, feel free to clean this post

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guys while we understand this is a hot topic please keep the discussion around the Normandy Map

also if you are not sure of the forum rules please take a look before posting

https://forums.eagle.ru/rules.php#en

Thanks

Well the thread beeing more general about the critics got closed and people got told to get here... https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3073580

So should we stay here or not?

Have a nice day!

• ED Team
Well the thread beeing more general about the critics got closed and people got told to get here... https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3073580

So should we stay here or not?

stay here, the discussion is around the Normandy map.

We just ask that users read the forum rules before posting

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

fracturing of the community ???

all the modules: all the different maps, all the flyable aircraft's are fracturing the community - if i follow your thread/uptake

dont be blind, you have got more choices what, how and where to "play"

and i does not want to repeat myself but fortunately this REALLY fracturing plan wont be happen: "dont forget, RRG-Ilya wanted to realize this DCS-Normandy project as a completely separated program in 2014"

No, the flyable aircraft don't fracture the community cause if you have plane B i can still fly with you with plane A. That won't work for maps and extra assets. I don't really mind the price and stuff.. They have to eat as well. What i do mind is that when i buy those maps/assets is that others that don't have it won't be able to play with me. That i have to ask them every time.. "Do you have this and this asset" or that you have to keep jumping servers or wait for 3 hours on another mission because they don't have certain assets.

Or that new players have to buy 400 dollar of maps and assets just to fly on server 2 of 104th or to fly with a friend that does have all the assets. Cause that friend would be a fool not to play with all those assets after paying so much money. So he will be inclined to say nah i go to server 2 where everything is available and leave his friend behind 8 out of 10 times. Also finding people with the same assets as you will be more difficult. Example: Out of 3 carriers you might have carrier 1 or 2.. But your friend only has carrier DLC 3 on map number 6 with asset pack 8. That is how it will look like in 4 years.

And yes that does fracture the community.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

No, the flyable aircraft don't fracture the community cause if you have plane B i can still fly with you with plane A. That won't work for maps and extra assets. I don't really mind the price and stuff.. They have to eat as well. What i do mind is that when i buy those maps/assets is that others that don't have it won't be able to play with me. That i have to ask them every time.. "Do you have this and this asset" or that you have to keep jumping servers or wait for 3 hours on another mission because they don't have certain assets.

Or that new players have to buy 400 dollar of maps and assets just to fly on server 2 of 104th or to fly with a friend that does have all the assets. Cause that friend would be a fool not to play with all those assets after paying so much money. So he will be inclined to say nah i go to server 2 where everything is available and leave his friend behind 8 out of 10 times. Also finding people with the same assets as you will be more difficult. Example: Out of 3 carriers you might have carrier 1 or 2.. But your friend only has carrier DLC 3 on map number 6 with asset pack 8. That is how it will look like in 4 years.

And yes that does fracture the community.

+1

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

This has barely anything to do with the Normandy map. So i'm very surprised i'm asked to come and discuss this here polluting this threat with this worry about splitting community.

I would like to apology's for the people making Normandy and the assets that i have to come and discuss this here and pollute the forum here with these thoughts and worries. The Normandy map and assets are very amazing.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

This has barely anything to do with the Normandy map. So i'm very surprised i'm asked to come and discuss this here polluting this threat with this worry about splitting community.

I would like to apology's for the people making Normandy and the assets that i have to come and discuss this here and pollute the forum here with these thoughts and worries. The Normandy map and assets are very amazing.

+1

To the mods. (or ED team) Don't want to break the rules, would a new thread discussing the new pricing precedent for AI units be against the rules? (Maybe in another section of the forum?)

• ED Team

Server admins will continue to target their player base with the content they choose to use, in short that is the admins decision.

I am sure WW2 servers will focus on the Normandy map and asset pack, it really looks amazing and is fun to fly on.

ED has a filter system coming for the Multiplayer server list which you will see in future updates which will help users decide where they want to fly.

• ED Team
+1

To the mods. (or ED team) Don't want to break the rules, would a new thread discussing the new pricing precedent for AI units be against the rules? (Maybe in another section of the forum?)

ED business model and pricing strategy is not up for discussion.

ED has a filter system coming for the Multiplayer server list which you will see in future updates which will help users decide where they want to fly.

Badly, badly needed, even now.

I shut the multiplayer down already due to the inability to determine what each server is actually providing with ease. I've be very happy to see filters for:

1. What aircraft are flyable

2. What other non-aircraft assets are usable

3. What map is being run as the base

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Thanks for the reply. Was about to post a big reply on that subject, thought I better check first :)

Back on topic:

Can anyone answer my earlier question? Will the WII AI Asset Pack be usable on the 1.5.X stable version?

• ED Team

We know you guys are passionate about our sim, as am I, having an inside view gives me a different perspective and I can honestly say I am excited and really looking forward to Normandy and WW2 Normandy content online.

Having seen it develop over time and knowing how much work has been put into it by the team confirms for me the long term commitment, it is going to be great.

Edited by BIGNEWY

In an another WWII sim game, they finally offer the new map (but not the new planes) to all players, just to not split the community.

I understand ED have to charge for the new map but they should include the assets with it. It's not like someone will fly over Normandy without the WWII stuff and fly over Caucasus or Nevada with the WWII stuff.

New WWII maps ? In 10 years ?