DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone

Ciribob

Ciribob,

I love what you've done with the software (so do the people I fly with), so I wanted to start with that.

I was hoping it wouldn't be too much trouble to make the range and line of sight enforcement server side options, so that disabling these (either or both) would allow for better, albeit less realistic communication. This is one of those things where sometimes real life takes precedence over gaming realism, such as when someone is dropped from the server and has to respawn out of LOS from everybody else.

Like I said, hopefully this is just an easy change that merely bypasses an algorithm. I'll also put the feature request on Github.

Best,

HF

Ciribob,

I love what you've done with the software (so do the people I fly with), so I wanted to start with that.

I was hoping it wouldn't be too much trouble to make the range and line of sight enforcement server side options, so that disabling these (either or both) would allow for better, albeit less realistic communication. This is one of those things where sometimes real life takes precedence over gaming realism, such as when someone is dropped from the server and has to respawn out of LOS from everybody else.

Like I said, hopefully this is just an easy change that merely bypasses an algorithm. I'll also put the feature request on Github.

Best,

HF

Luckily it already is a server side option. Check out the latest release. All effects / features will be so the server admin can decide on the level of realism :)

• Like 1

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Nice. Thanks, Ciribob; I hadn't looked at the server options in 1.2.0.0.

RTFM, Home Fries. :doh:

No worries, only added recently and I'm not sure you can RTFM as not sure I documented it yet

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Hmm I'll send you a PM and see if we can schedule a time to maybe test together?

Hi Ciribob,

I was finally able to figure out why there was an echo coming through my microphone, it was because of two disabled windows services UPNP and SSDP, once I enabled them the echo was gone. Hope this helps somebody some day if they are ever having the same issue.

BTW...are you ever planing on putting a voice activation option? I know some people that I fly with would like that.

Hi Ciribob,

I was finally able to figure out why there was an echo coming through my microphone, it was because of two disabled windows services UPNP and SSDP, once I enabled them the echo was gone. Hope this helps somebody some day if they are ever having the same issue.

BTW...are you ever planing on putting a voice activation option? I know some people that I fly with would like that.

Thanks again for your perseverance in testing and tracking down the problem! I've no idea why either one of those services would cause an issue as I dont use UPNP or SSDP but both use UDP as their underlying protocol... so there is a link but tangental!

For now a voice activation option is a little out of scope and I'd worry it would be to easy to hot-mic and block a channel

Great work Ciribob. I have only one question: Why F-15C has two UHF radios? Doesn't supposed to have a one UHF and a one VHF radio?

F-15C AFAIK only has two UHF, the VHF was a very recent edition. Happy to be proved wrong but all the documentation I've come across says two UHFs. F-15Es (not C) info: http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/130278/new-radio-enhances-f-15-capability.aspx

Can we be able to hear others players by removing squelch ?

Ex: With a signal to -100db and with squelch, we can't hear each others but without it, we can hear each others with noise.

People fly planes, pilots fly helicopters

F-15C AFAIK only has two UHF, the VHF was a very recent edition. Happy to be proved wrong but all the documentation I've come across says two UHFs. F-15Es (not C) info: http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/130278/new-radio-enhances-f-15-capability.aspx

I'm not an expert, but from what I know, every aircraft must have VHF radio to communicate, for example with ATC. Another thing is that on my screenshot below, you can see "radio 2" and there is a switch position called "VHF/FM".

f15radio.jpg

No, in the ARC-164 , the "VHF FM GUARD" position, it´s a position to receive VHF FM transmisions on the VHF FM GUARD standard frequency, 40.5FM If I recall correctly.

As you can see, the MODE positions are: OFF-Manual-Chan (presets) and 2 GUARD positions, AM for 243AM and FM for 40.5FM

Hi and thank you for the great work you have done!

We use it all the time at the IAF virtual squadrons and like it allot:)

I was wondering if you are planning on an emergency radio for ejected pilots?

(Didn't go through the whole thread if it was already discussed)

Right after you eject there is no way to communicate other than open the TS again and hoping someone is listening...

It could be further developed into an emergency radio location beacon for SAR missions as well, on which enemy forces can home in to and try and capture the ejected pilot POW based on his beacon transmissions if he is not careful,as IRL, and create more possible mini side missions.

Just a thought :)

Edited by ron533

Callsign   SETUP

Right after you eject there is no way to communicate other than open the TS again and hoping someone is listening...

It could be further developed into an emergency radio location beacon for SAR missions as well, on which enemy forces can home in to and try and capture the ejected pilot POW based on his beacon transmissions if he is not careful,as IRL, and create more possible mini side missions.

That would make CSAR missions way more engagin with helicopter pilots... you could also simulate as seeker device that roughly points to the beacon from a short range. That could simulate having a handheld locator in the aircraft. All you would need are posiyion of both ELT and the locator, then add line of sight calculations (as with other radios) and off you go! The device would be usable via the GUI.

How about it?

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Hi,

I'm not sure how to read the "Radio Switching" and "In-Cockpit DCS PTT" columns, so I will confirm how it works IRL:

The pilot has a "selector" on his throttle. This selector has 3 position, and is spring-loaded so that with no pilot action it's on the center (= neutral) position.

When the pilot wants to use a radio, he presses the selector on the side he want (one side = one radio), that selects the radio to use + acts as a PTT, so the pilot maintains his finger on the selector as long as he speaks.

Also regarding the M-2000C's TRT ERA 7000 (V/UHF) (=radio 2 in your table), please note that this radio also has the capability to listen on both the current frequency/channel PLUS the guard channed; this is done by placing the rotary on "Pal+G" (means "Main + Guard") instead of "Pal" ("Main") only.

++

Az'

spacer.png

Can we be able to hear others players by removing squelch ?

Ex: With a signal to -100db and with squelch, we can't hear each others but without it, we can hear each others with noise.

Not sure as I think when the squelch switch is turned off in the Sim your hear noise (as expected) so for now I'm probably going to say not for a while at least! Need to get the signal fading correct for distance and near Line of sight

That would make CSAR missions way more engagin with helicopter pilots... you could also simulate as seeker device that roughly points to the beacon from a short range. That could simulate having a handheld locator in the aircraft. All you would need are posiyion of both ELT and the locator, then add line of sight calculations (as with other radios) and off you go! The device would be usable via the GUI.

How about it?

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

Probably not for a long time, although it is a nice idea. In the interim I have written this... Which does what you want kind of and includes beacons: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=146994 :)

When you eject, until your aircraft is destroyed your cockpit comms will actually work. When destroyed, you should still be able to communicate as the radio will switch to the combined arms / jtac one but you will have to retune.

If you jump to spectators after ejecting you'll be able to communicate as long as you re-tune and the serverside option of Spectator audio is enabled.

Any release schedule for simple radio with a working gazelle intercom?

In the process of re-writing the audio pipeline which will take another week I reckon. I might post LUA to enable it on the current release if progress is really slow on the rewrite :)

Hi,

I'm not sure how to read the "Radio Switching" and "In-Cockpit DCS PTT" columns, so I will confirm how it works IRL:

The pilot has a "selector" on his throttle. This selector has 3 position, and is spring-loaded so that with no pilot action it's on the center (= neutral) position.

When the pilot wants to use a radio, he presses the selector on the side he want (one side = one radio), that selects the radio to use + acts as a PTT, so the pilot maintains his finger on the selector as long as he speaks.

Also regarding the M-2000C's TRT ERA 7000 (V/UHF) (=radio 2 in your table), please note that this radio also has the capability to listen on both the current frequency/channel PLUS the guard channed; this is done by placing the rotary on "Pal+G" (means "Main + Guard") instead of "Pal" ("Main") only.

++

Az'

Thanks, it was a mistake on the table. Updated now. The Guard switch is already implemented and in the current release.

How you described the controls is also how it currently works. The SRS hotkeys can be used to switch the radio and as PTT to simulate the HOTAS radio controls in the Mirage. :)

In the process of re-writing the audio pipeline which will take another week I reckon. I might post LUA to enable it on the current release if progress is really slow on the rewrite :)

Ok, lua update would be ok. Is it in your pull request? Then I'll grab it from there.

Ok, lua update would be ok. Is it in your pull request? Then I'll grab it from there.

Ah sorry you'll need more than that. I added a new hotkey bind for Intercom which you'll need as well.... :(

I'll get there with the rewrite. Going to close that pull request, its broken now :P

Hi

With the latest update radio does not work ....for the Bf-109K4, any solution?

2D window displays the radio as unknown and only to move the volume a movement seen in the volume bar intercom

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ESA_maligno

Can anyone find an audio sample of a radio receiving one transmission, then another causing the signal to become garbled? Once I've heard it and can pull out a sample I'll be able to add that as a feature as well.

Hi

I haven't the time to look for a precise URL & timing now, but there where such examples on youtube.

Here mainly from the ground freq at NYC https://www.youtube.com/user/H89SA

This to try (not done myself yet) https://www.youtube.com/user/victor981994

spacer.png