TrackIR Behavior with 1.5.4 Release

didn't work for me :(

VR Device is by default, enabled. Unchecked in options and my view and HUD are normal again. Still no Track IR zoom function though.

What TrackIR Zoom function? / and * Keys?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting to look as if ED's efforts towards implementing VR is creating major issues with TrackIR. Since I am not a code programmer, I haven't a clue how this would occur, but it seems pretty obvious most TrackIR users were having little to no issues until the insertion of the VR capabilities in DCSW. Another time to be patient and let ED sort through the issues which I trust they are more than capable of fixing.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Hello guys,

There's few hours I've upgraded my DCS 1.5.3 "Stable" to 1.5.4 "Stable and now I have many problem with these modules:

A-10 the view id just HORRIBLE.

Bell-205 Huey: My TrackIR is just OUT and don't work.

Mig-21 Bis: My TrackIR is just OUT and don't work.

KA-50: Strange view, just a little bit too low.

Please do you have any solution ?

Thanks, Skull.

Skatezilla's workaround.

More info needed please, link? instructions?

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

If you run the game without starting TrackIR the viewpoint is fine. So yes, it's a problem related to using TrackIR

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

If you run the game without starting TrackIR the viewpoint is fine. So yes, it's a problem related to using TrackIR

Which is a shame since there are far more people using TIR instead of a VR headset.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yeah but each update will just reset it back , unless they change it right? Or is this new offset they way they intend it to be going forward...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So the Issue here is:

Old Habitual Tracking vs New Realistic tracking.

-Default Non Tracking View is angled down 23 Degrees to enable user to see HUD and MFDs without moving View Angle.

w/ New Tracking, User's head Position/Rotation is Inherited from the Tracking Device's Input, and Overrides the Default View.

Ie Facing Forward Center = Looking Forward Center, 0,0,0/0,0,0 in TrackIR Window = 0,0,0/0,0,0 In DCS.

w/ Old Tracking, User's head Position/Rotation is Used To Manipulate the Default View, So Looking Straight Ahead w/ 0,0,0/0,0,0 in TrackIR Software = 0,0,0/-27,0,0 (Default F1) in DCS.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Thanks Gliptal. That fixed it for me. How did that ever get past Quality Control when so many had problems with this in OB?

1.5.4..... worst update I've seen ever! :badmood:

Edited by Winston 60

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

I started 1.54 SR without Track IR running, and the HUD view was centered nicely as it should be. Not the case with Track IR running, definitely the display is offset upwards as per my previous pic, in the KA-50.

Surely this must be a bug right?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Whatever all that means above.... the new result is terrible and not usable.

Put it back the way it was.

Which is a shame since there are far more people using TIR instead of a VR headset.

If this is due to VR then that's ridiculous. There's only about 100 people using VR now vs 1000x that many who aren't.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I've been using it, and havent noticed it's "un-usability"

However, will push up ladder.

To make it easier for everyone to find the fix by Skatezilla, here's a link to a topic with a fix file uploaded by Shahdoh: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2822725&postcount=134

Dburne, that depends. From what I understand after the discussions related to recent 1.5.4 OB update 2, it's the first step of unifying the way the VR and TiR work in game, so from devs point of view, it might be a feature rather than a bug. So today it found its way into the stable release too.

I can't say I'm convinced that's the optimal solution, though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Dburne, that depends. From what I understand after the discussions related to recent 1.5.4 OB update 2, it's the first step of unifying the way the VR and TiR work in game, so from devs point of view, it might be a feature rather than a bug.

Hmm, hopefully not...

Don B

Track IR Tracks relative to head position in sensor and not relative to default View angle.

meaning if you are looking straight forward IRL, your Tracking will having you look straight forward in Virtual cockpit.

I haven't really tried 1.5.4 public yet, but if that is true ... then it is wrong imo.

This behaviour might be correct and desireable for VR systems, but not for TIR. TIR is just different.

TIR users use custom curves to translate their RL head movement to an appropriate virtual head movement. This is necessary because TIR users have to look through a quite restricted "window" into the virtual world: the monitor.

So, when a VR user "checks six", he has to turn around to look backwards - just like in real live. The movement is translated 1:1.

But if a TIR user would have to do the same, to turn the head around ... he would simply see nothing as the monitor would be just out of view. Therefore the TIR user uses curves that makes the virtual head turn around completely when he moves his real head only a few inches so that he - more or less - can just barely still see the monitor.

And as every monitor is different - in numbers used (1 ... 3 ... 6 ... n) and in size, every TIR user has a custom, fine tuned TIR setting which should be respected by DCS:W.

Conclusion: ED, don't mix up the view system for TIR and VR users. Make them separate settings!

Originally Posted by Art-J ......From what I understand after the discussions related to recent 1.5.4 OB update 2, it's the first step of unifying the way the VR and TiR work in game, so from devs point of view, it might be a feature rather than a bug.......

A feature that causes Track IR not to work properly anymore and affects the view so negatively is not much of a feature!

Edited by Winston 60

I haven't really tried 1.5.4 public yet, but if that is true ... then it is wrong imo.

This behaviour might be correct and desireable for VR systems, but not for TIR. TIR is just different.

TIR users use custom curves to translate their RL head movement to an appropriate virtual head movement. This is necessary because TIR users have to look through a quite restricted "window" into the virtual world: the monitor.

So, when a VR user "checks six", he has to turn around to look backwards - just like in real live. The movement is translated 1:1.

But if a TIR user would have to do the same, to turn the head around ... he would simply see nothing as the monitor would be just out of view. Therefore the TIR user uses curves that makes the virtual head turn around completely when he moves his real head only a few inches so that he - more or less - can just barely still see the monitor.

And as every monitor is different - in numbers used (1 ... 3 ... 6 ... n) and in size, every TIR user has a custom, fine tuned TIR setting which should be respected by DCS:W.

Conclusion: ED, don't mix up the view system for TIR and VR users. Make them separate settings!

I didnt say it was a 1:1 Tracking Ratio, Curves still apply, I Am Able to Check Six while still looking only maybe 30 Degrees left/right.

The Main Difference between old and new is where 0,0,0/0,0,0 From The TrackIR Software Puts you in DCS Virtual Cockpit and Axes Translation.

Previously, for Example in A-10C

0,0,0/0,0,0 = 0,0,0/-27,0,0 (looking down 27 degrees at the MFDs)

Now,

0,0,0/0,0,0 = 0,0,0/0,0,0 (looking forward through the HUD).

Previously:

Look Left = Rotate Camera Left, while still having Elevation being -27 Degrees,

Now:

Look Left = Look Left (w/ Rotational Ratio Set by TrackIR) (Camera Rotates using head rotation, and elevation is determined by head eye level elevation as well)

So to look at left panel, you look left and down a lil,

previously it was basically just look left, as the default camera already had the -27 degrees tilt.

Edited by SkateZilla

So the Issue here is:

Old Habitual Tracking vs New Realistic tracking.

DCS needs to support all users, those that have been customers for years that don't plan on moving to VR and those that want the newest shinny thing.

I know a lot of DCS players that have no desire to move to VR.

• Like 1

DCS needs to support all users, those that have been customers for years that don't plan on moving to VR and those that want the newest shinny thing.

I know a lot of DCS players that have no desire to move to VR.

See above, it's not that big of a difference between old and new,

however like i said, I will push up the issue up the ladder, and see what the devs say.