TrackIR Behavior with 1.5.4 Release

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
How? Because I have the feeling ED will just steam forwards and ignore those who prefer the old way.

your feeling is wrong. ED are listening, and it is being discussed internally.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I don't understand what the fuss about this is. I used to use TrackIR for years up until a week ago, so I used TrackIR before and after these changes. The new way is more correct by the way. When view is centered (pilot is looking straight forward) you are not looking downwards, you are looking straight ahead, and this is how new settings are set. To call this unusable is just incorrect. I have used it without issues so it is not unusable. You can say you prefer the old way because you are used to it and you want by default to be looking down a bit into the instruments, but reality is pilot to see the instruments needs to look down a bit, so again new way is more correct.

Also ED is indeed listening and they might revert the changes (this is just my guess), maybe even make 2 separate view settings for those using VR and those that don't (and use TrackIR instead).

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

By the way, the trim on the A10C doesn't work anymore. Button animation on the virtual flight stick is visible, but the plane doesn't react.

It doesn't work for the open beta since a few releases and now with the latest patch 1.5.4.54596 on the official release it also doesn't work. :(

Please fix, it is important and urgent!

________________________ ________ ______ ___ __ _

Win10 64 Pro, i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, 32 GB (DDR4), Asus Aorus 1080 TI WF, TrackIR 5 / RIFT, Thrustmaster Warthog, Fanatec Pedals, 55" oled 4k TV, Modules:A10C, KA-50, Huey, AV-8B, FA-18, F-16, NTTR, Persian Gulf

_ __ ___ ____ _____ ______ _______ ____________

The problem i have with this is using 2 screens one ontop of the other and now the bezel runs right through the centre of the hud not very helpful that and thats in all aircraft except the huey which it ends up smack across the middle of cockpit glass making it very dificult to land smoothly, a simple check box will do to enable or disable.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

I don't understand what the fuss about this is. I used to use TrackIR for years up until a week ago, so I used TrackIR before and after these changes. The new way is more correct by the way. When view is centered (pilot is looking straight forward) you are not looking downwards, you are looking straight ahead, and this is how new settings are set. To call this unusable is just incorrect. I have used it without issues so it is not unusable. You can say you prefer the old way because you are used to it and you want by default to be looking down a bit into the instruments, but reality is pilot to see the instruments needs to look down a bit, so again new way is more correct.

Also ED is indeed listening and they might revert the changes (this is just my guess), maybe even make 2 separate view settings for those using VR and those that don't (and use TrackIR instead).

The difference is a real pilot would not move the head downwards to see the instruments, he'd just glance at them. That's why some of us find the old view more useful than the new one.

It's a matter of priorities. I'd rather see less sky but the instruments without having to move my head, rather than see more sky and less instruments.

Calling the old view wrong is incorrect as well by the way. There's a reason it was angled down in the first place.

Edited by Gliptal
  • Like 1

Like Kuky and some others, I like the new way more, too.

Bye, Smith

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-9600K @5ghz, 11GB ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Twin Fan, 32GB (2x 16384MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-3000 DIMM, 1000GB WD Black SN750 Gaming M.2, HP Reverb HMD, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, Realsimulator FSSB R3 Stickbase, TM TPR pedals

• ED Team

Mixed opinion at the moment, I have been using it internally for a while and kind of got used to it, and prefer it.

Personally I would be inclined to have a check box so the user can decide, but we will have to wait and see.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

By the way, the trim on the A10C doesn't work anymore. Button animation on the virtual flight stick is visible, but the plane doesn't react.

It doesn't work for the open beta since a few releases and now with the latest patch 1.5.4.54596 on the official release it also doesn't work. :(

Please fix, it is important and urgent!

Already reported and discussed elsewhere, as most of the planes are affected. If You have any FFB controllers plugged into your PC, some trims will not work. As a quick workaround, hit right Alt-J twice to jump to next plane and back to Yours - that will solve trim operation in all three axes.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The difference is a real pilot would not move the head downwards to see the instruments, he'd just glance at them. That's why some of us find the old view more useful than the new one.

I was just about to say something like this. I can't speak directly to the ergonomics of the A-10, but I think it's instructive that when doing instrument training in a Cessna 172 (or any other light GA aircraft) while wearing foggles, your head position doesn't change from what it normally is. Your normal field of view includes both the outside world and the instruments. The foggles simply obstruct the outside world and force you to only pay attention to the instruments without any major ergonomic changes.

Another issue I have with this change is that it does, in fact, look wrong. There is noticeable perspective convergence visible in areas like the edges of the UFC that make it look like the viewpoint is at a distinct non-90 degree angle, as opposed to being reasonably perpendicular to the surface as it was before.

If this is intended behavior for VR users, great. For the (I would think) overwhelming majority of us who are not, this is a bug classifiable as an unintended side effect of implementing a new feature, and should be reimplemented as a user selectable option.

• Like 1

If it's not broken, don't fix it. TIR used to work fine, there was no need to change it.

Agreed. My problem with the new settings is that, to look 'up' and back over the top of the seat, my TIR5 now exceeds camera limits, though my settings pre-1.5.4 allowed me to just lift my head a bit and get a look all the way up and back over the top of the seat. I'm also now almost looking off of my screen in order to check 6.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

In all these years I can not recall a thread where folks were complaining that the default Track IR view was just not right lol. I could have missed it though of course.

Hopefully they can come up with a compromise that appeals to all. Me personally I would much rather have it back the way it was, where by default one can see the HUD readout without having to move head down, lean forward, etc. It just looks skewed to me like it is. When Track IR is not running, the default view is back the way it was, so apparently this change was only for when Track IR or VR is active.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So go back to a Tir method of just moving view points compared to the new method of moving a head in an actual 3D dimension no thanks. Dev's please keep this new method it's god send make it optional thanks for those who see it another way. Big screen this makes a huge dynamic difference .

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

So go back to a Tir method of just moving view points compared to the new method of moving a head in an actual 3D dimension no thanks. Dev's please keep this new method it's god send make it optional thanks for those who see it another way. Big screen this makes a huge dynamic difference .
As I said previously, we're not all playing on a 52' 4K screen.

Me personally I would much rather have it back the way it was, where by default one can see the HUD readout without having to move head down, lean forward, etc. It just looks skewed to me like it is.

I had the same issue once I looked back, down or up my head was placed over the HUD. I almost touched the front panel when I checked my six it was weird. Now I changed my TIR settings a bit because I don't use that "fix" as it is no fix for a new "enhancement".

It's meant to be an improvement for the TIR view so why fix it? We have to adapt to the new changes.

I had the same issue once I looked back, down or up my head was placed over the HUD. I almost touched the front panel when I checked my six it was weird. Now I changed my TIR settings a bit because I don't use that "fix" as it is no fix for a new "enhancement".

It's meant to be an improvement for the TIR view so why fix it? We have to adapt to the new changes.

It's not an enhancement, it's a paradigm shift. The contention is wether this new paradigm makes sense for everyone or not.

Makes perfect sense if people stop griping and take time to adjust and setup their system properly. Theirs a reason you are allowed to adjust your eye point, to match your system setup. It's also a very good enhancement.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Once I got over the shock of change and made some adjustments to my TrackIR profile

It's not so bad, in fact for using the gun reticle it's better, your head is up and closer to the HUD

My problem with my old TIR profile was that I didn't have enough sensitivity or range looking downwards so I just increased that. and increased the XYZ so I can slide my "head" back and down to look under the throttle and at the CDU without losing the tracking, or slide sideways and look down to get a perpendicular view of the CDU

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Ok Guys, no need to start back and forth arguing at this point.

Calm Down.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Mixed opinion at the moment, I have been using it internally for a while and kind of got used to it, and prefer it.

Personally I would be inclined to have a check box so the user can decide, but we will have to wait and see.

This is the best option,

I don´t like this new angle of vision adjustment too high, and I was thousands of times within a cockpit and have a different impression (especially when flying with some AOA), but respect those who want the new setting and have another impression about it.

I think that's personal taste.

Dell U2715H 27" IPS 2560x1440 / 60 Hz; Ryzen 7 7700x; 32gb DDR5 6400; B650M Aorus Pro; Water Cooler Arctic liquid freezer II 280