best helo. for begiiner

Dental1

i can answer wit a reverse engineering.

"it's not the huey"

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15EF-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I would recommend the Mi-8. It has lots of switches/systems (although not the most modern) but it's a lot easier and more stable to fly than huey or gazelle(doesn't have this one though)

On the other hand, the Black shark, while its most stable and easiest to fly it has a different behavior than standard single rotor helicopter, so i would not really recommend it for a beginner who wants to learn about helicopter physics.

Intel i5-9600k - Asus TUF Z390 - 32GB DDR4 corsair - Gigabyte RTX 2070 - Seasonic 620W - SSD Crucial, HDD Seagate

IMHO

The Ka-50 is easy to control, less torque effects, etc. It also offers the most potent combat capabilities of any of the current helo's, but has complex system if you want to really master it.

The UH-1H has the least complex systems, but is limited to machine guns and rockets for combat.

The other 2 are excellent modules as well.

The Mi-8 is more complex when it comes to systems, and limited in combat, (short range guns and rockets/grenades) it's more of a flying delivery truck and the best heavy lifter we currently have.

The Sa-342 does have complex systems but is not as complex as the Mi-8, or Ka-50. It can be more difficult to control in the beginning. Being a light helo it is a bit twitchy when not cruising.

They are all fantastic and I enjoy them all.

If you just want a platform for learning how to fly a helo, I would go with the UH-1H.

If you want a real tank busting battle field monster, go with the Ka-50.

If you want a heavy transport, the Mi-8.

If you want a modern light scout, the Sa-342.

• Like 1

The Huey can be frustrating to master, but once you do it is very rewarding. The Huey was my first attempt at helicopters in DCS, it took a couple of months to really master flight and the transitions from hover and back again. But like I said once you do master it, you will want to fly nothing else.

The KA50 is easy to fly compared to the Huey and MI8. When it comes to deploying the weapons it is very stable. It will take a lot of practice to hit targets with the Huey and MI8. I cant say anything for the Gazelle. I dont

own it yet. I would start with the KA50 then after some time GET THEM ALL.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

=&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_CREATED_USER_NAME=chardly38&set_filter=Filter&set_filter=Y"]MY SKINS And Helios

i7 2600k 3.4 quad w/ Hyper N520 cpu fan_, Asus Sabertooth z77_, RX 580_, Corsair Vengeance 1800 8Gb ram_, 112 OCZ Vertex 3_, Corsair HX 1000, 3 screens res 5292x1050_,and 1 1680x1050 Helios Ir Tracker 5 with Pro Clip_,Hotas Warthog#12167 ...

> Picked up the Mi-8 specifically to play transport on the Blueflag server

> Spend a few hours learning startup procedures, basic flying around

> never flown any helo sim before, lots of crashing

> landing is 50/50 at best

> mi-8 worst cockpit layout I have ever seen

> screw it, lets hop online

> another pilot sees me log in to mi-8 slot, asks if I want to cap a FARP

> load Glorious Russian Transport Helicopter with brave soldiers

> fly to route, successfully not crash in mountains

> rotors start to ice up, engage Russian Vodka heaters

> mi-8 shakes uncontrollably at times. have no idea what I am doing.

> stand off from FARP while comrade in su-25 destroys all defenses

> nearly crash

> land

> brave russian soldiers capture FARP, server announces to all our glorious victory

> 10/10 best combat sim experience I have ever had, didnt fire a shot

• Like 2

Lots of responses but I'll add my 2¢.

UH-1:

Pro's: Simple systems, easy to start, docile handling

Cons: weak armament, no autopilot, basic navigation system

Mi-8:

Pro's: Big payload, better navigation system, faster and better armed than huey

Cons: hugely complex startup and systems, very unforgiving flight characteristics

Ka-50:

Pro's: easiest to fly, well armed, excellent autopilot, modern navigation system

Cons: intermediate systems complexity (was my first DCS module, it's learnable)

Sa-342:

Pro's: simple systems, has a few models in one module

Cons: hard to fly but easier than mi-8

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

IMHO

If you just want a platform for learning how to fly a helo, I would go with the UH-1H.

Totally agree with this opinion, couldn't have said it better myself.

Cheers, Ian

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

A couple of months ago I was just like you, a complete helicopter noob. The things absolutely terrified me, however, I decided I was going to learn how to fly one even if it killed me. (And it did kill me, many, many times)

I learnt to fly on the Huey. I think it is the way to go because

1) the systems are very, very, very simple so you can just focus on flying it rather than setting it up

2) there are no automated flying systems, so you'll really have to learn the physics involved in flying a helo and develop the fine touch required to fly it well

Since learning (but I've not yet "mastered") the Huey, I've started flying the Ka-50. The systems take much more time to learn but are not overwhelming. I couldn't believe how easy it was to fly the thing, however, in comparison. I can fling the Black Shark all around the battlefield without much difficulty.

I haven't yet tried the Mi-8 (all those switches scare me) or the gazelle (It looks like a very finicky thing to fly, and its relatively new so I like the bugs to be ironed out first) but I am now in love with helos just as much as fixed wing aircraft.

TL;DR - Learn on the Huey

I am inclined to agree with others that have recommended the Huey.

It is simple, in terms of avionics, and it is a more direct drive helo.

It is a bit like driving a car without power steering. It responds to every wiggle of the stick, which is excellent for getting the feel of flying a machine that is actually powered by magic.

As soon as you realize that the helo really does not want to fly, but is more than willing to kill you while proving it, the easier it gets.

General advice, don't move the stick, just think about moving it. Your hands will make little adjustments that will work (at least after the first dozen crashes). If you think about it too much you will always overcompensate.

Keep in mind that your mileage may vary and that I am a terrible helo pilot. :)

Wow

This community is amazing! I've never experienced such an active forum with members really interested in helping newcomers.

thxLee

Welcome to the forum. Your comments are appreciated but you must realize that most of us are completely nuts and have no life. :D

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

mi8 has lots of weapons but it's very hardo hit something unless getting close as much as hand shake distance with your target.

huey doesn't have that big weapons but it has a flexible gun which both your ai copilot and yourself can hit light targets easily with. also it has side gunners. same for this like above.

in terms of fliying, mi-8 is excellent at every stage of flying. you always have to make corrections with huey but it has autopilot cheat

Edited by ebabil

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15EF-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Hi

Can anyone recommend one of the payware helicopter modules that would provide a good study level sim but reasonable for someone brand new to helos

thxLee

Both the UH-1H and SA-342 have easy to learn systems (start up checklist fits on 1 page).

The UH-1H has a mature flight model and flies and feels like a 'proper' helicopter. Although the module isn't perfect (I find the texture quality a bit old now), it's the benchmark module I go to when checking helicopter flight dynamics in DCS as I've never flown a helicopter in RL.

The SA-342 has modern instrumentation but it's SAS and beta flight model might be a problem. It wasn't for me, as I felt the flight model was 'close enough' and the Gazelle has other benefits inc. multi-crew for training.

If you already fly helicopters in ARMA 3, then I'd go with the Huey for it's better flight model, otherwise it's down to features and personal choice.

The Mi-8MT is a different beast, BST make a Mi-17 cockpit simulator, so the detail and accuracy is high, with an English cockpit the 2 engine startup will be easy if you already ramp start the A-10C (startup check list fits on 2 pages). It's a heavy transport heli with SAS, so you can't throw it around as much as the Huey/Gazelle, but it has Doppler for drift correction, etc. and although the Hip hasn't grabbed me as much as the Huey, other people love it, plus it's a similar engine setup to the Mi-24.

The Ka-50 was my first DCS heli. I was disappointed in it as it didn't 'feel' like a helicopter due to the contra-rotating co-axial rotors. It's a strong attack helicopter and I didn't find it hard to fly but haven't flown it very much.

YMMV

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

IMHO

The Ka-50 is easy to control, less torque effects, etc. It also offers the most potent combat capabilities of any of the current helo's, but has complex system if you want to really master it.

The UH-1H has the least complex systems, but is limited to machine guns and rockets for combat.

The other 2 are excellent modules as well.

The Mi-8 is more complex when it comes to systems, and limited in combat, (short range guns and rockets/grenades) it's more of a flying delivery truck and the best heavy lifter we currently have.

The Sa-342 does have complex systems but is not as complex as the Mi-8, or Ka-50. It can be more difficult to control in the beginning. Being a light helo it is a bit twitchy when not cruising.

^This is a pretty good summary IMHO. Have to say I love them all in there own special way and specifically because of their differences. I'm sure you'll enjoy learning them all over time

Welcome to the forums.

The Huey is maybe the most down to earth heli in DCS.

If you start with the Ka-50 you will spoil your Heli-Skills and have to re-think many moves when you go further in the list with Mi-8, Huey etc...

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

While KA-50 is maybe best attack helicopter and best to fly. I wouldn't take it as beginner.

Why?

Because it does not really teach the helicopter behavior modeling because its co-axial rotor design, ABRIS (GLONASS navigation, waypoint/target management etc) and all the fancy weapons.

I would really start with something more demanding to fly like UH-1H or even Mi-8MTv2. Gazelle is very challenging to fly compared to anything else, but it is great fun if you have a friend to fly with you so you can fly in same cockpit or even better fly two of those (and make the correct ambush attacks from different directions).

KA-50 has like everything else than cargo capability. You have low light capabilities (even night capabilities when having change to use illumination rockets), you can engage slow low level flying aircrafts, you get to destroy almost anything that comes to your way. And it is fun to operate, as that is what you will do; You will operate and manage that aircraft instead "fly it". It is like programming it to do what you want it to do. Flight are done with a single button (trimmer) for handling few Auto Pilot Channels, then you use ABRIS (the computer screen on right) to plan your flight routes, you use it with the SHKVAL (TV display in front and laser targeting system) and target panel (top left panel with target type) to store multiple targets to ABRIS memory or to send for your wingmen (and you use ABRIS and radio to command your flight as well).

And when it comes to weapons, KA-50 has the longest "pike" it can use to destroy anything on its way. And it becomes almost fairly boring in some times as you can almost out maneuver any thread there is.

If you hop to KA-50 as first timer, it will ruin your pleasure as it is like someone would give you a Ferrari as first car. After that you will not look at the same way any other helicopter.

And if you get friend to fly KA-50 flight with you, it will become just super fun as you can see your each other positions in ABRIS etc and hunt like group of sharks. That is something that is just impossible with any other aircraft than KA-50 and A-10C (at the moment).

If you want flying experience, KA-50 ain't it as you don't really do sight seeing from its heavily armored cockpit. Mi-8MTv2 is totally own for that and even more a Gazelle. You have great visuals in those helicopters and you can experience much with Mi-8 for cargo and troop moving and supporting them later on.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I completely agree with Fri13.

I started with the KA-50 and while it is a fantastic killing helicopter and I was quite proficient in flying it, it hasn't taught me anything about flying traditional copters. Once I tried Mi-8 I had to learn from scratch. After some 100 hours in KA-50 I thought I could handle Mi-8, but after few craters in the ground it was -> back to school. So if you want to learn how to fly copters I suggest Huey or Mi-8. Ka-50 is more like an advanced weapon system having the actual flying quite automated and easier due to coax config.