Normandy map light/brightness issue

PicksKing

Hi guys, I would like to bring up something, what catched my eye several times, when new screenshots of the normandy map were released. And yes, I know its not finished yet and everything is subject to change but I like to mention it anyway.

I think on the most screenshots something is wrong with the brightness of objects and ground textures. The trees are too bright and the ground is too dark. It should be the other way around. If you take a look on normandy region or any other region inside the temperate zone via google maps or photos, you can see that. The trees are a darker then the ground.

I just retouched one of the screenshots, which were released a few weeks ago. Its not accurate, because I made it with photoshop in a few minutes but it shows, what I mean.

The picture with the bright trees is the original.

picture.php?albumid=1193&pictureid=8442

Edited by PicksKing
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

Although I also feel the trees on various WIP screenshots are a bit on the too-light side, I'm sure this one was made during evening / sunset hours (as indicated by shadows, by the way), from the direction of the sun, and that would cause exactly such a colour balance.

We need more screens in various hours / weather conditions to make a better judgement.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I agree that the edited colors appear more natural.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I'd counter that the original looks like late Afternoon, where the edited one looks to be around noon.

Nate

Indeed. Maybe I overdone it a bit. Seems like its a matter of dosage.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

It's clearly a WIP, just a pic to show us a bit of development. Anyhow, your edited one looks to me like an old game graphics while first one features HDR in the evening. Makes me wonder, have you tried calibrating your own screen? And I mean calibrating with appropriate tools, not "Windows calibration".

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 1 month later...

I'm with PicksKing, in pretty much every aerial photo you can find the trees are darker than the grass.

IMO the group that got this most right was Team Fusion in their Cliffs of Dover mod. They obviously went and found pictures of that part of the world and then worked to make the colours in the sim match. Getting the colours right can hugely improve the visual quality and immersion, at absolutely no framerate cost :)

I think the original screen was taken at late afternoon. That's why they look "lit". Also, I am all for more contrasting and vivid colours, which helps with sporting of the aircraft.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Do you not think any discussion regarding bugs in the Normandy map is a little premature?

At least wait until it has been released before you start making reports. What you are seeing may still be a long way away from the final package we see sometime in the next 3 months!

• 4 months later...
Do you not think any discussion regarding bugs in the Normandy map is a little premature?

At least wait until it has been released before you start making reports. What you are seeing may still be a long way away from the final package we see sometime in the next 3 months!

Well the whole thing is too bright, as if I'm constantly looking directly at the sun, I seem to have some 500 watt halogen bulbs on the inside of my cockpit too!?

Witch

Well the whole thing is too bright, as if I'm constantly looking directly at the sun, I seem to have some 500 watt halogen bulbs on the inside of my cockpit too!?

Witch

+1.

After flying about for a couple of hours this afternoon upon loading Normandy, I am somewhat disappointed.

Far too bright, almost bleached out colour of the trees!

The Deferred Lighting option gives the cockpit of the Spitfire a horrible, faded, cartoon like look. Also with Deferred Lighting the Kneeboards on all WW2 aircraft are devoid of any map features. Turning Deferred Lighting off restores the Map in the Kneeboard.

My frame rate is half what the Caucuses map is, with stutters, which I have not seen since FSX days!

So I will not be buying that Oculus Rift! At least that's made my mind up and saved me £500!

At least this is Alpha, so we should expect improvements?

Regards

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

• 2 months later...

I don’tknow whether I am doing something wrong with the settings and whether, if relevant,it is already being addressed, but I would like to bring up a specific contrastissue: contrast under overcast conditions. When selecting Overcast in theMission Editor, when I start flying, even with a thin cloud layer duringdaytime in late spring, there is very little contrast between the runway andthe grass next to it. So little, in fact, that I have a bit of trouble stayingon the runway.

On asidenote: were there no concrete runways at all in England or Normandy at thetime? I would expect bomber airfields, at least, to have concrete runways. Iwould like to have a few concrete or asphalt runways, for variation and foroperating modern aircraft (I know the map was not meant for that).

For therest: nothing but praise. DCS is quickly becoming my favorite simulator.

]I don’tknow whether I am doing something wrong with the settings and whether, if relevant,it is already being addressed, but I would like to bring up a specific contrastissue: contrast under overcast conditions. ]

A gamma slider was added in options and in game. Try lowering that a bit.

• 4 months later...

Don't you know Christmas tree lights when you see them???

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

A gamma slider was added in options and in game. Try lowering that a bit.

The problem is not only gamma but contrast, brightness and color saturation levels. They are off the charts and non-realistic. We need more sliders. :)

For me, enabling HDR and disabling both defered shading and cockpit global illumination, gives, at the moment being, the best results both in Normandy and Nevada.

MSI Trident X Plus 9SF-488EU Intel Core i9-9900K/64GB/2x2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD+1x2TB SSD/RTX 2080Ti/Samsung C49RG90 120hz/HP Reverb/