Map feedback . .

philstyle

Played for 90 minutes or so.

Very much in Alpha it would seem to me.

Some real problems spotting contacts and the sky and lighting is very bright.

Maybe some shaders are missing? Tracers looked like strange black lazer beams from long range.

Am going to need quite some GFX tweaking just to make sure it's not problems on my end, but at first glance I'd say there are quite some issues that will need looking at before this product is really ready for market.

It's odd that the pre-alpha vidoes I saw online and the feedback from the closed alpha group made me expect a lot more . . so maybe the problem is the way I have 2.1 set up on my rig...

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

• ED Team

Take some time to tweak your settings there are a lot of differences with the new lighting

Some of the issue you mention are reported already,

this is early access and tweaks will be made, but I am not having any issues with spotting it is much improved for me.

If you are setting missions up in the editor change the time of day as the default is in full sun light

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Would like to see some tips on how to get decent framerates down low. On Nevada I can blaze through the Strip without a hickup, but when I get down low to strafe a train (specially near a village) the frame rate drops significantly. I tried lowering shadows, tree view range, lower AA (down to 2x) yet it remains choppy when I try to look around me.

Map does looks great. I love how the roads/tracks look very realistic from above. Train spotting & hunting is great (although train seems indestructible?).

Edited by Vander

Take some time to tweak your settings there are a lot of differences with the new lighting

Yep, tomorrow will be an exhaustive tweaks day I think. I'll try to record as much of the process as possible for others to see what I'm doing.

Any tips for:

1. reducing the overall brightness/ washed out character,

2 improving aircraft visibility at ranges over 1km....??

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

VERY much Alpha...

Pretty rough install with loads of repairs before it sorted itself and recognised the Normandy Map by asking for a serial number.

FPS down 60% compared to the Caucasus pushing 4K through a STRIX 980TI OC by a i7OC...

Using Medium settings with HDR and DS off its not too bad high up but for rotary wings not so good visually due to the shadow rendering above say 200'. NOE its good though....of course the trees being solid is good.

The lighting effect by whatever method they use is fantastic - very very good and for rotaries the distance judgement coming into land is very good compared to the Caucasus....

Great potential.....

SIGBLOCK.png

• ED Team

these are the settings I use ingame. For multiplayer I turn terrain shadows off.

I get great frames, but my rig isn't to bad, you will have to play around to find a good balance

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

My assumption is that the major part in the fps drops is the new fog feature. But that is just my gues.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

these are the settings I use ingame. For multiplayer I turn terrain shadows off.

I get great frames, but my rig isn't to bad, you will have to play around to find a good balance

Just as a comparison with your settings I get 27 FPS sitting in a a Huey in a field.... The shadow rendering and visuals is cleared up and very good...

W10, i7-6700 OC 4.5, STRIX 980Ti OC, 16RAM, SSD etc...

The frame rate can only get better... :)

Nevada on release was the same....

VR performance could be a a little tight though I reckon...

SIGBLOCK.png

VR performance could be a a little tight though I reckon...

Yes it is...

I am going to need to do some serious tweaking tomorrow to see if I can get some good smooth gameplay.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Played for a bit. Like it pretty good. Though it appears some tweaks are going to be necessary to keep decent framerates and for spotting. Im playing with antialiasing off, might try x2 to see if it makes a difference.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

First impressions:

Pro:

- The new lighting looks amazing

- Aircraft visibility improved a lot

Con:

- 60% of the 1.5 FPS

- miscrostutters

- it really, REALLY messed up most skins I made

- When the global cockpit illumination is on everything in the cockpit looks way too glossy. I think it's quite overdone.

- loading times are longer than 1.5

First impressions:

Pro:

Con:

- 60% of the 1.5 FPS

- miscrostutters

- When the global cockpit illumination is on everything in the cockpit looks way too glossy. I think it's quite overdone.

I think all skins will have to be remade with PBR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First impressions:

Pro:

Con:

- 60% of the 1.5 FPS

- miscrostutters

Agree quite a lot. Not as much as 60% but definitely lower FPS. I tweaked only slightly graphical settings, I guess I should make more tests in order to get a nice and stable FPS, though stuttering is the most annoying "new" thing never seen before in DCS, at least for me. I suppose the WIP tag is for real definitely. Anyway, out of stuttering FPS seem pretty stable and even when lower than I would like it works pretty well and smoothly, better in Nevada than Normandy but still good. Anyhow I have still to see more times of the day as all of the quick missions I tried were at dawn featuring mist, which is a nice effect but I want to see more different weather and hours so I can compare performances and FPS :lol: . Loading times though take for ever now, but my Alpha install is over a mechanical hard drive unlike my stable 1.5 in SSD. I guess a bigger SSD to hold all the DCS installs makes sense now.

The map looking is gorgeous anyway, either Normandy and Nevada which now looks amazing with new lighting and HD textures everywhere.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Played for 90 minutes or so.

Very much in Alpha it would seem to me.

Some real problems spotting contacts and the sky and lighting is very bright.

Maybe some shaders are missing? Tracers looked like strange black lazer beams from long range.

Am going to need quite some GFX tweaking just to make sure it's not problems on my end, but at first glance I'd say there are quite some issues that will need looking at before this product is really ready for market.

It's odd that the pre-alpha vidoes I saw online and the feedback from the closed alpha group made me expect a lot more . . so maybe the problem is the way I have 2.1 set up on my rig...

Was just gonna post too about lighting being overly bright.

After few hours of "flying"... Its a huge deception ! It reminds me April 2011 and IL2 - Cliffs of Dover.

1. FPS very low... i tried all settings possible !

2. The looking is honesty horrible

3. The game crashed 2 times due to Mission editor.

I hope this will be corrected in the future but as it is this thing is unplayable.

First impressions:

Pro:

Con:

- 60% of the 1.5 FPS

- miscrostutters

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!

After few hours of "flying"... Its a huge deception ! It reminds me April 2011 and IL2 - Cliffs of Dover.

1. FPS very low... i tried all settings possible !

2. The looking is honesty horrible

3. The game crashed 2 times due to Mission editor.

I hope this will be corrected in the future but as it is this thing is unplayable.

Maybe you should provide details on your pc... to see if we can help you out?

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Initial impressions for me:

- The detail of the Normandy map is stunning :)

- FPS dropped from a solid 90 in 1.5 to 14 (!?) in 2.1 (Normandy) and 25-30 in Nevada

- The brightness should be tuned down by a factor 4 at least.

- DCS crashes every time I exit a mission.

i7 6700k @ 4.5 ; 32 GB DDR4 2400 ; Strix 1080Ti OC ; playing in VR

Edited by Elysian Angel
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset